World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Banned
44,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I know that I was going to fish Sennon but had a change of plan. Got to Sennon as planned early afternoon and the waves were already coming over the top of the harbour wall, so it was time for a quick change of plan. Hadn't been down to Lamorna for a while so I thought I'd give it a go.

Ignored the warning sign on the harbour wall and went to the end near all the damage. Start to set up and see a shoal of Mackerel. Quickly switched to feathers but they weren't in the mood to play. Wacked out a 2 hook flapper with a small lead on it. Rag was stripped but no sign of a bite. Cast again only to get snagged and lose the lot. Switched to float and had a couple of very tasty bites only to find no fish hooked and the tails of the rag missing. Obviously small Wrasse about. Shortly after snagged again and lost the lot. Tried spinning a sand ell and lost the lot again. By now I had run out of round weights and was using large shot on the line to try and keep the bait down low. Finally gave in when it started persisting it down.

Wasn't a complete waste of time as there were some chaps diving in the area and one of them brought me various rigs and weights that he had found.:)

· MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,509 Posts
Yes I know that I was going to fish Sennon but had a change of plan. Got to Sennon as planned early afternoon and the waves were already coming over the top of the harbour wall, so it was time for a quick change of plan. Hadn't been down to Lamorna for a while so I thought I'd give it a go.

Ignored the warning sign on the harbour wall and went to the end near all the damage. Start to set up and see a shoal of Mackerel. Quickly switched to feathers but they weren't in the mood to play. Wacked out a 2 hook flapper with a small lead on it. Rag was stripped but no sign of a bite. Cast again only to get snagged and lose the lot. Switched to float and had a couple of very tasty bites only to find no fish hooked and the tails of the rag missing. Obviously small Wrasse about. Shortly after snagged again and lost the lot. Tried spinning a sand ell and lost the lot again. By now I had run out of round weights and was using large shot on the line to try and keep the bait down low. Finally gave in when it started persisting it down.

Wasn't a complete waste of time as there were some chaps diving in the area and one of them brought me various rigs and weights that he had found.:)
hi snag admit it m8 you've got fishings version of dartitis and it is commonly know in the west as stepitis west bay stepitis in fact it will not go away untill you lot beat us at cefn sidan in the rematch i know what your going through snag it says it all when the maccy swim away from you.the bass are in snag up here in wales rockling had 12 last night read his report good pics as well.i may have a sesh at sidan soon just to get the feel of it again see you in may m8 tightlines andy ilsf...:)

· Banned
44,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Positive it was Mackerel. Clear view down on them from the harbour wall. There was another chap there who was float fishing sandeel with no takes and another further up on the rocks who managed a couple of small wrasse. None of the fish seemed to want to play.

· Registered
1,211 Posts
Positive it was Mackerel. Clear view down on them from the harbour wall. There was another chap there who was float fishing sandeel with no takes and another further up on the rocks who managed a couple of small wrasse. None of the fish seemed to want to play.
Sure they wernt red mullet:) .....only joking....snags.....
There are unusual amounts of launce as far as the eyes can see at the moment. Out on a boat Sunday we were getting them 3 at a time. Another boat out of Porth Levan couldnt get down to the fish as the launce were attacking everything....even the pirks and 6/0 hooks. Perhaps the mackerel are just really pre occupied or as sometimes is the case concentrated in a very fine layer of water maybe 2- 3 feet thick and your feathers are too far down for them.

I find by downsizing my weight to 1 oz and retrieving quickly in the surface film can be a deadly method sometimes......or spinning with a single eel.....or float fish very shallow.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Good luck. Chap I spoke to said that he had a turbot off the end of the pier so looks as if there are a few species to have a go out.

Apparently cars parked after 11 are subject to clamping!!!!
Cheers for the info on the fish and car park Snagg. I've been clamped there once before after arriving back to the car 5mins after my ticket expired :mad: !!! I won't be making that mistake again :uhuh: .

· Registered
52 Posts
Just seen this post Snaggletooth, I was the tea-drinking bloke you spoke to on the breakwater. Didnt realise who you were, looking back the WSF cap might have been a giveaway! Like I said I went to Porthcurno that evening but there didnt seem to be much surf running so remembering what you said about the waves breaking over the breakwater I moved over to Sennen beach to fish that night tide. Fished about 3 hours for 1 small schoolie and a good few monster kelp fish! Really atmospheric standing in the surf at midnight, waiting for that bite, great fun! The turbot I mentioned was caught about 18 months ago, so not exactly up to date info, and only about 6 inches long.

Didnt see the mackeral shoal, but there were a line of pots really close infront of the rock I was fishing off, no more than 15 meters away.

When I asked in the shop at Lamorna about parking over night the lady said id probably be OK, but check in the cafe. Asked in the cafe and was told no chance, the person who checks the tickets would clamp me everytime.

Any way nice to have a quick chat, probably see you down there again sometime!

· Banned
44,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just seen this post Snaggletooth, I was the tea-drinking bloke you spoke to on the breakwater. Didnt realise who you were, looking back the WSF cap might have been a giveaway! Like I said I went to Porthcurno that evening but there didnt seem to be much surf running so remembering what you said about the waves breaking over the breakwater I moved over to Sennen beach to fish that night tide. Fished about 3 hours for 1 small schoolie and a good few monster kelp fish! Really atmospheric standing in the surf at midnight, waiting for that bite, great fun! The turbot I mentioned was caught about 18 months ago, so not exactly up to date info, and only about 6 inches long.

Didnt see the mackeral shoal, but there were a line of pots really close infront of the rock I was fishing off, no more than 15 meters away.

When I asked in the shop at Lamorna about parking over night the lady said id probably be OK, but check in the cafe. Asked in the cafe and was told no chance, the person who checks the tickets would clamp me everytime.

Any way nice to have a quick chat, probably see you down there again sometime!
Nice to have met you.:) :)

The macks were patrolling the harbour wall and just didn't seem to want to play with anything I chucked at them.

Glad you enjoyed Sennon, just wish the weather had been a bit better.:)

· MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,509 Posts
Nice to have met you.:) :)

The macks were patrolling the harbour wall and just didn't seem to want to play with anything I chucked at them.

Glad you enjoyed Sennon, just wish the weather had been a bit better.:)
i recon you saw the common spotted brown bottle fish they are mostly seen after drinking a few lol....tightlines andy ilsf..

· Registered
110 Posts
Just to add to this thread, as it wasn't worth starting one on it's own about it;

Went to Lamorna Cove for a look after a quiet session at Porthcurno. Had not been there before, so parked in the car park, went for a quick look over the harbour wall to see the conditions, only to get a parking ticket for my sub-5 mins excursion.

From reading online, seems that car park is notorious for fines etc... :hammer:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.