World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a means of (hopefully) landing good bass bass from 2.5-3m up a harbour/river wall.
Have dabbled with drop nets before and on your own they are fiddly.
Looking for a good landing net pole that will tolerate vertical lifting?
Have looked at a few and the threaded attachment point leaves a little to be desired, any experience of what I need??
The drennan twistlock and gardiner jobbies look toughest so far, but still not convinced........
Cheers.

·
Registered
15,292 Posts
Landing fish with a drop net is easy if you set it up correctly,you need to have the bottom of the net weighted so it sinks below the frame on reaching the water, before you start fishing, measure out the length of rope you need to have the net sunk by between 12ins to about 15ins, then tie the rope to something solid, if there is nothing on the harbour wall, then take a nail and bang it into a crack, there is always a crack.
On hooking a fish, play it to the wall base, hold it there on the rod, lower the net with the other hand, uptide of the fish, let it sink below the fish and raise it as it is pulled downtide and under the fish,lift the net out of the water with one hand, rod onto floor, then raise the net with both hands.

Make sure the net is always set at the depth below the water surface throughout the session, in relation to the tide flooding/ebbing.

I use a landing net from steep banks when river fishing, if you go down the net route, firstly, make sure you have a good deep net, screw in the net to the handle of your choice, then gather the netting and fasten it to the net handle with an elastic band, so it is held and cannot flap about. On hooking a fish, net down to water level, and scoop the fish into the net, the net slips out of the band and the fish drops into the purse, lift vertically, not horizontally, as even though net handles are strong, I have seen them fracture with the weight of a fish held horizontally.Raise the net and land fish.

The screw in landing net heads are perfectly safe and useable if used as above,I lifted an 18 lb pike from 8 ft above water level using a landing net as above. IF you use a landing net,I would advise to tie a length of rope to the handle and the other end of the rope to something solid, you may somehow unintentionally let the net handle slip through your hands = lost net and fish.

If you buy a net with a fixed spreader block, andnarms, then it is 90% certain that you will need to re-fix the arms into the block, this usually means drilling out the rivets, and replacing them with a good quality stainless bolt or similar, failing that, araldite the arms into the spreader.

Here is a review of the gardener net handle.....if you want to spend that much.

Gardner Net and Extendable landing net pole - Barbel Fishing World Forums

If you want the dogs nads of nets...

Landing Nets | Buy Now at HarrisSportsmail.com Buy & Review Online Now - HarrisSportsmail.com

Dave.

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
The only one I've ever had that hasn't let me down I was given when I was at school in the 70s .... efgeeco lever lock jobbie in aluminium - probably not long enough for what you want but I use mine at Ipswich Wet Dock with a specimen net for the same job and its sound. I have a tele glass one but I wouldn't trust it for that kind of work. The efgeeco ones come up every now and then second hand but they are still popular as the locking mechanism is top notch ... maybe worth looking for something with the same type of lock.

What I would say is don't try to lift the net up horizontally ..... get a big net that will wrap round the fish and not let it out and then pull up vertically (with handle pointing down to the water) .... the net will take more weight that way and its easier on your arms.

G

·
I gve up on the drop net for mullet and bass, too much hard work convincing the fish to get in and stay in.I use a 3.3m telescoping landing net with a screw in head and have no problems

·
Registered
15,292 Posts
The only one I've ever had that hasn't let me down I was given when I was at school in the 70s .... efgeeco lever lock jobbie in aluminium - probably not long enough for what you want but I use mine at Ipswich Wet Dock with a specimen net for the same job and its sound. I have a tele glass one but I wouldn't trust it for that kind of work. The efgeeco ones come up every now and then second hand but they are still popular as the locking mechanism is top notch ... maybe worth looking for something with the same type of lock.

What I would say is don't try to lift the net up horizontally ..... get a big net that will wrap round the fish and not let it out and then pull up vertically (with handle pointing down to the water) .... the net will take more weight that way and its easier on your arms.

Yes ,agree, I had one of those net handles, they work off an eccentric cam lock, and are I would think were at the time one of the most reliable.... mine broke ! It was not the locking mechanism, or the alloy handles, the threaded end piece popped out !, and disappeared down the river with a nice Chub in it.... gutted.

:schmoll:

Dave

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remember aluminium landing handles with a knurled nut to fasten the lengths together. ....they were tough as old boots!
Cheers for replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts