World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm very keen to target bream and i've seen a lot of boats parked up just beyond the inner reef to the left as you look out to sea, particularly around slack water. is it bream these guys are targeting, if so can anyone offer advice regarding rigs, bait, best tide sizes/stages of tide.
thanks in advance
dai rees

·
Registered
867 Posts
i'm very keen to target bream and i've seen a lot of boats parked up just beyond the inner reef to the left as you look out to sea, particularly around slack water. is it bream these guys are targeting, if so can anyone offer advice regarding rigs, bait, best tide sizes/stages of tide.
thanks in advance
dai rees

yes it is, also you'll catch Smoothies and sometimes Tope, rigs a Paterenoster with size 1 or 2 hooks maddies, lug, squid or cocktails of either, will work try 1 rig with beads and another rig plain, each tide is different, Smoothies, running ledger with squid or crab on a 2/0 or 3/0 pennel you will catch them on lug if there are a few about competing for grub, Tope running ledger with bigs baits with squid or mackerel live or dead heavy nylon hook length or wire, also you could try ground bait (mushed up fish and oil with some bran flakes to soak up the oils) at slack water, oinion sack on the anchor or better still send it down separately and give it the odd shake, it'll attack the bream and the Tope, downside is it will also attract the Swansea bay salmon(dogfish).

hope that helps mush

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks spirit, thats just the advice i was looking for. as regards choosing my session times, are small tides better than big tides [i.e. less flow] and does time of day have any major bearing. i suppose what i'm hoping to hear is that my new found species will be prepared to come out to play when other species don't want to know. thanks again!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
867 Posts
thanks spirit, thats just the advice i was looking for. as regards choosing my session times, are small tides better than big tides [i.e. less flow] and does time of day have any major bearing. i suppose what i'm hoping to hear is that my new found species will be prepared to come out to play when other species don't want to know. thanks again!!:thumbs:

Small tides up to to smallish 11s would be best IMO 2 to 3 hours back and then back up until the flow becomes impossible to fish properly ie holding bottom with out resorting to using heavy leads, big tides at low water will be ok to a point, outer reef better then though until the flow gets to forceful, but then you could move to the inner and give that a try, good luck, I may be out there myself Friday afternoon unless I go chasing the Silvers, although I haven't been out on the boat for a while has its up for sale, but it has looked beautifull out there this week so Im iching to get out there.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
hi,
all tides are fishable, just the smaller tides mean you can fish longer as stated by spirit. best rigs i have found are two hook running ledgers, i'll try and add a sketch.

i have also switched from aberdeen hooks and now use size 6 carp hooks which will land the smuts which take the same baits intended for the bream. best baits i have found is lug and squid. put say 1/2 a lug on the hook then a few seperate small pieces of squid, tipped off with a longer thin piece. bream will strip hooks bare quite quickly if only a single bait is used. if you have a bite and miss, dont retrieve but drop the bait back quickly and they will come back.

here is my best sketch, leads can range from 2 upto 10 oz, but this rig always gives a direct bite on the rod tip.

if you have a chart plotter just fish the outer-reef when you can and the inner reef when its running too much. if you haven't just fish near the line of boats you will see at weelends!!
you can fish straight through on neap tides and 1 1/2 hours either side on biggest ones.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boys, i cannot believe the efforts you've gone to here, i'm so appreciative!! thanks so much. one last question, what sort of depth of water are you fishing into? and Wil, do you ever fish this mark from your kayak?
again diolch yn fawr iawn,
Dai

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im heading out tonight (weather permitting) for a go on the yak. GOing to target the bream and pollack.

I think the depth you fish is really just related to the time and state of the tide and the mark you are fishing. ie. the inner reef is shallower than the outer reef. Ive caught pollack to redgills off langland (by crab island) in about 5ft of water so it doesnt seem to affect them too much.

One word of warning though, if the weather turns and the wind picks up it can become quite difficult to fish this mark safely from the yak so be prepared to call it a day early doors and dont take chances. I have seen some newbie yakkers get caught up in the drift and come a real cropper off langland.

May see you down there.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Boys, i cannot believe the efforts you've gone to here, i'm so appreciative!! thanks so much. one last question, what sort of depth of water are you fishing into? and Wil, do you ever fish this mark from your kayak?
again diolch yn fawr iawn,
Dai
No not fished it from the kayak yet will have ago soon the only thing that puts me off there a bit is the amount of traffic from other boats, alot of boats fishiing the mark and alot of ***** flying through in there speed boats etc

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi,
all tides are fishable, just the smaller tides mean you can fish longer as stated by spirit. best rigs i have found are two hook running ledgers, i'll try and add a sketch.

i have also switched from aberdeen hooks and now use size 6 carp hooks which will land the smuts which take the same baits intended for the bream. best baits i have found is lug and squid. put say 1/2 a lug on the hook then a few seperate small pieces of squid, tipped off with a longer thin piece. bream will strip hooks bare quite quickly if only a single bait is used. if you have a bite and miss, dont retrieve but drop the bait back quickly and they will come back.

here is my best sketch, leads can range from 2 upto 10 oz, but this rig always gives a direct bite on the rod tip.

if you have a chart plotter just fish the outer-reef when you can and the inner reef when its running too much. if you haven't just fish near the line of boats you will see at weelends!!
you can fish straight through on neap tides and 1 1/2 hours either side on biggest ones.
who drew that was it your dog?see you later.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
who drew that was it your dog?see you later.
I wish I could do it, then I could draw a diagram of how the Alderney Ring is rigged, & pin it up in the boat for Paid4 to study, he always seems to get confused about where the "Lazy Line" goes, in relation to the anchor & the bouy, & what its function is.
Where did you get the programme to draw that rig up Longarm? I reckon it was a brill effort, Daybreamer is just gutted he cant draw as well as you thats all!:bleh:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I wish I could do it, then I could draw a diagram of how the Alderney Ring is rigged, & pin it up in the boat for Paid4 to study, he always seems to get confused about where the "Lazy Line" goes, in relation to the anchor & the bouy, & what its function is.
Where did you get the programme to draw that rig up Longarm? I reckon it was a brill effort, Daybreamer is just gutted he cant draw as well as you thats all!:bleh:

thanks blueskip, i was very proud of it at the time.(dry blackthorn was on offer in spar).
its sibling rivalry!!:1a:

by the way the programme is called paint.its used by 2 year olds and me!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.