World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 6hour session in the bay last night in search of a cod,and ending up being plagued by whiting i decided to try the point today for a plaice or dab. fished from 12.00 - 15.00. Just 1 rod with 2 hooks with lug fished at range, lots of dabs (about 15 - 20) with a few good sized. Plenty of whiting and pout. The highlight of the day was a seal about 15yds in front of me bobbing along, I even threw it a whiting which was Duley eaten. A common thought is that the fishing is over when a seal is about, not in this case, bites from first to last cast.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
After a 6hour session in the bay last night in search of a cod,and ending up being plagued by whiting i decided to try the point today for a plaice or dab. fished from 12.00 - 15.00. Just 1 rod with 2 hooks with lug fished at range, lots of dabs (about 15 - 20) with a few good sized. Plenty of whiting and pout. The highlight of the day was a seal about 15yds in front of me bobbing along, I even threw it a whiting which was Duley eaten. A common thought is that the fishing is over when a seal is about, not in this case, bites from first to last cast.
Hello Tom,
a few flats then mate, yes that seal is a resident in the area now, i have seen it there a lot.
Codling not showing at all, one was caught Sunday but thats the first i have heard of for a week or two, hopefully the due winds this week will change that.
See you soon
Steve.

·
Premium Member
25,771 Posts
Well done on catching a few Fishy and much as It pains me to say It I quite seeing "our" seal about :thumbs: ...I forgot all about Sunday Steve, I presume that was in the comp....Any size?

·
Registered
592 Posts
are the dabs a regular feature this time of year ? We fished it last year and ended up with whiting fighting over themselves to get the bait ..wouldn't mind going back to the beach even tho my mates pointed out that the aerial photos make the point look exactly like a willy :blink:

·
Premium Member
25,771 Posts
Yes mate typically there are a fair number about and seems like it could be a bumper year :)

Seperate note see there has been another gilthead landed, that's half a dozen I have heard of recently. Maybe just me and selective memory but can't remember so many for a long while if ever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Seperate note see there has been another gilthead landed, that's half a dozen I have heard of recently. Maybe just me and selective memory but can't remember so many for a long while if ever?

I had my fiirst ever Gilthead at Langney Point back in August - definately a Gilthead as I also had a couple of Black Bream at the same time for comparison.

·
Premium Member
25,771 Posts
I had my fiirst ever Gilthead at Langney Point back in August - definately a Gilthead as I also had a couple of Black Bream at the same time for comparison.
Not surprised at all mate..... Be interesting to know if anyone has been quietly targeting them and if tactics differ greatly

Apologies to OP if off topic

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Well done on catching a few Fishy and much as It pains me to say It I quite seeing "our" seal about :thumbs: ...I forgot all about Sunday Steve, I presume that was in the comp....Any size?
hello Martyn, apparently around 46cm / 3.5lb/4lb mark.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lets hope this weather brings a few more in to the bay. It's looking like another bad year in the Eastbourne area. If my memory serves me correctly I haven't had a cod since early 2010 and that was no monster.

·
Premium Member
25,771 Posts
Strange one Isnt it, I and a number of people I have spoken too have all had our first in a couple of years but they do seem to have tailed off.....False dawn maybe :unsure:

Ones I have seen have been in stunning condition

Wood Seafood Fish Fin Tail

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
i think i managed out one small codling last year and only a few more the year before, 2008 was good but difficult since, as you say a quick run a few weeks back but nothing to keep them localised, now with some shell and decent winds we might pick up a few more straglers - if none are seen over the next few days then its going to be hard work for them i reckon locally, sea temps still high as well.
Will be travelling East i reckon soon to get a few.
Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts