World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the success of the last trip to Lansallos in the search of wrasse myself jayb and a friend who had just returned from australia (and had never fished before in his life) decided to give it a blast. Oh yeah and it was jayb's birthday (happy 24th mate) so if anyone was going to catch that biggy it was going to be him!!!

Got to the mark at around 14.00 which was low tide, tackled up with the high tech roofing lead set up and was fishing within minutes. Showed my mate Carl the basics behind his reel, casting and of course rag worm pinsers. I was tempted not to tell him about the pinsers and let him experience it for himself but I thought he may make me bait up for him every time.

I was the first to wet a line instantly into a few missed takes. Carl was second in and within about one minute......... "BOYS BOYS, I think I'm in." This became very apparant when I saw his rod tip thumping like only the good old wrasse do. After a short fight a wrasse of around a pound surfaced. The smile on my friends face was a beauty. After all the old man jokes and boring sport remarks he now knew why we all love fishing so much.

Time for a rebait for me and as I was reeling in my worm when either a bass or gilt around 1.5lb decided to follow it all the way up and thrashed at it unfortunately no hook up. It was definatley silver and to me looked more of a gilt head shape but I would imagine it is more likely to be a bass. Any ideas???

We were all soon into the wrasse with the average size being a lot bigger than the previous trip. We had a lot of fish well into the 2lb mark and then............ Jayb's rod bent over double. Here it was, the birthday boy had of course hooked into the birthday fish. Struggeling to keep it from the kelp bed he eventually brought it to the surface and all of our jaws dropped. This was shortly followed by a huge yelp of delight from Jay. Not having any scales on us I estimated the wrasse to be a modest 4lb. Not the biggest wrasse known to man but with all of us relatively new to sea fishing the biggest any of us had ever seen.

Carl the newby followed this up with another decent fish of around three pound. He had really got into it by now.

The final score: Deano 6
Carl 5
Jay 3

I think with it being Jays birthday and his monster wrasse we will give the victory to him. Cracking fish dude!!!

With the swell increasing dramatically I thought it had to be worth a quick spin before beating the tide off the rock. First cast with an eel bar had gars chasing me all the way to the rocks. A few more casts had the same results but still no hook up. Gar fish have always seemed to be very virocious takers but today the seemed a little reluctant.

All in all a great few hours fishing and considering the hangovers we all had it was amazing we even made the long walk down there.

Happy fishing all, Deano.

·
Registered
866 Posts
With the success of the last trip to Lansallos in the search of wrasse myself jayb and a friend who had just returned from australia (and had never fished before in his life) decided to give it a blast. Oh yeah and it was jayb's birthday (happy 24th mate) so if anyone was going to catch that biggy it was going to be him!!!

Got to the mark at around 14.00 which was low tide, tackled up with the high tech roofing lead set up and was fishing within minutes. Showed my mate Carl the basics behind his reel, casting and of course rag worm pinsers. I was tempted not to tell him about the pinsers and let him experience it for himself but I thought he may make me bait up for him every time.

I was the first to wet a line instantly into a few missed takes. Carl was second in and within about one minute......... "BOYS BOYS, I think I'm in." This became very apparant when I saw his rod tip thumping like only the good old wrasse do. After a short fight a wrasse of around a pound surfaced. The smile on my friends face was a beauty. After all the old man jokes and boring sport remarks he now knew why we all love fishing so much.

Time for a rebait for me and as I was reeling in my worm when either a bass or gilt around 1.5lb decided to follow it all the way up and thrashed at it unfortunately no hook up. It was definatley silver and to me looked more of a gilt head shape but I would imagine it is more likely to be a bass. Any ideas???

We were all soon into the wrasse with the average size being a lot bigger than the previous trip. We had a lot of fish well into the 2lb mark and then............ Jayb's rod bent over double. Here it was, the birthday boy had of course hooked into the birthday fish. Struggeling to keep it from the kelp bed he eventually brought it to the surface and all of our jaws dropped. This was shortly followed by a huge yelp of delight from Jay. Not having any scales on us I estimated the wrasse to be a modest 4lb. Not the biggest wrasse known to man but with all of us relatively new to sea fishing the biggest any of us had ever seen.

Carl the newby followed this up with another decent fish of around three pound. He had really got into it by now.

The final score: Deano 6
Carl 5
Jay 3

I think with it being Jays birthday and his monster wrasse we will give the victory to him. Cracking fish dude!!!

With the swell increasing dramatically I thought it had to be worth a quick spin before beating the tide off the rock. First cast with an eel bar had gars chasing me all the way to the rocks. A few more casts had the same results but still no hook up. Gar fish have always seemed to be very virocious takers but today the seemed a little reluctant.

All in all a great few hours fishing and considering the hangovers we all had it was amazing we even made the long walk down there.

Happy fishing all, Deano.
was fishing just around the corner from you we had a few wrasse as well and two se ray happy birthday jay

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Deano, Hey Talen,

I was just round the corner too! Not fishing but with the bird and kiddies on Lantivit beach. Saw another bloke pull in a 3lb(?) Bass.

Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
as deano said it was a very good days fishing for us, and even better for carl who never before had touched a rod. i think deano has explained all there is to say really i will finish by adding some photos, notice how deano has perfected the art in holding the fish as close to the camera as possible to make it look bigger!!! me and carl knew who had the creme de la creme yesterday!
well done carl great start.
post some pics in a min

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as deano said it was a very good days fishing for us, and even better for carl who never before had touched a rod. i think deano has explained all there is to say really i will finish by adding some photos, notice how deano has perfected the art in holding the fish as close to the camera as possible to make it look bigger!!! me and carl knew who had the creme de la creme yesterday!
well done carl great start.
post some pics in a min
What can I say dude, it aint just catching the fish its the promotion of them for the picture as well. I will teach you one day.
To be honest the wrasse I am holding is only around 2.5lb but still the best fight from a wrasse I have ever had.

Next trip has to be dedicated to the bass. At least then we may have an awesome feed out of the days catch.

Tight lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts