World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys im looking at buying a lantern but unsure what to go for. I been looking at the colman range and was wondering what is the best to go for? how long ruffly will the petrol last in them? do you need to take extra petrol with you? are lanterns reliable. Thank you in advance for any comments.:)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have used a headlamp (argos 15 quid) for a few months - brill!! uses not much battery convenient etc - not smelly - all you need really but.....

for a serious night session especially in winter a base lamp just makes life that much easier - i hear good things about the more expensive electric ones but they take a while to charge - not sure of battery durability - and i doubt if you would get more than 5 hours continuous - not cheap either...

i recently went for a coleman powerrhouse - double mantle - ran it on unleaded - first night was six hours in horizontal rain and when that stopped it was horizontal sand (30 mph average winds) - lamp never faltered - really really bright - easy to light too - only used about half the fuel

northstar is 30 quid more and I heard that the ignition unit breaks easy - that why i went for powerhouse

dead chuffed with it!!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
MFA Thunderbolt, brilliant for £80. Theres also the Coleman Northstar for a similar price. Suppose you could go down the route of getting a Tiga SL headlamp for £130.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
all lanterns are a waste of money mate your best bet is to sink the extra cash into a quality headlamp job done:)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
My Northstar has been very reliable. Mantles are less likely to break than in the Powerhouse - and the ignition unit has been faultless in mine.
Have to admit though - since getting LED headlamps I rarely can bother with the petrol lamp.
I now use a couple of tiny LED clip-ons to light the rod tip and tackle box. A quality LED headlamp (Princton Tec Apex) throws a great work light. These lamps are very economical on batteries.
Sometimes miss the 'comfort' of a pressure lamp but would only use one now for a long session close to the car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had a twin mantle coleman which was good but somrtimes a bugger to light-Have now progressed to a north star which is brill its brighter than the twin mantle and lights first time with the ignition- goes all night on 1 tank of fuel and if you have a beach buddy it warms that up as well, (Tent that is not female)Great for when your hands are freezing!!! Second thoughts a female is good for warming your hands up.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ive got the northstar and the powerhouse,

while the northstar is a lot easier to light mine was very unreliable, always flickering and going dim, changed the generator on it loads of times and sent it back to coleman to have the tank and everything serviced but I still had problems with it which is why I personally prefer the power house, it can be a bit tricky to light but its reliable and gives out a good amount of light.

The mfa thunderbolt looks like a nice lamp but I have heard it is a bit on the heavy side.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Had a twin mantle coleman which was good but somrtimes a bugger to light-Have now progressed to a north star which is brill its brighter than the twin mantle and lights first time with the ignition- goes all night on 1 tank of fuel and if you have a beach buddy it warms that up as well, (Tent that is not female)Great for when your hands are freezing!!! Second thoughts a female is good for warming your hands up.
My limited experience of hand warming with the opposite gender was a rather violent and upleasant reaction.:bangin:
My luck was out for fishing of all sorts for quite a while:thumbdown
Getting in at 4 am thinking Missus would be friendly - perhaps the petrol lamp is still a good idea!:idea:

·
Registered
184 Posts
there was a post on here not so long back referance lanterns,i was quite shocked to see the northstar get quite a negatve feed back ,but the powerhouse seemed to get consistantly good reviews,at time of last post i sang the praises of my good old parrifin tilley lamp,and the bloody thing has never worked right ever since !!!!,im going to replace the tilley soon and from all the research ive done im leaning towards a power house.:fishing1:

·
Registered
151 Posts
the coleman northstar is a pile of kak i have had mine for 2 years now its only good for keeping your hands warm ...even got a reflecter for it and its still dull and yes i have changed the mantels...but what i have got is a speleo night raider headlamp paid £88 its and to me the only thing that heavy about is the battery the headlamp is a lite as a packet of cigs...i have had loads of lamps over the years and this has got to be the best i have used

·
Registered
56 Posts
GOt a northstar and its great! Loads of abuse, never serviced or had replacement parts and lasted me 5 years so far. Saying that unless you are fishing in a gale or downpour i also like a simple Camping-gaz lantern. £15 for the lantern and £1 for a cartridge which will last about 8 hours. Kicks out plenty enough light to bait up etc and dirt cheap

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
yeah to gaz

i do have powerhouse for winter - but use a gaz lamp in summer convenient, clean, easy and cheap!

use led headlamps as well - but still like use a base lamp - why not?

my powerhouse has a reflector - but i don't use it to boost output - there is more than enough without it - I use it to shield the glare from the sea! them fishies don't like full beam:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts