World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum

This is my first post so thanks up front in anticipation of your help.

I fly to Lanzarote next Saturday and intend to take some gear with me. I've been trolling this forum and know that there is loads of stuff on here about Lanzarote but I'm struggling to make some sense of it, there are so many differing opinions.

I can take whatever gear is needed, light, medium, heavy, lure, float, bottom, I've got it all. I just need a definite steer on where the marks are and how and when to fish it. I'm staying a few minutes walk from Marina Rubicon in Playa Blanca but I'll have a car anyway, getting to the marks isn't a problem. I prefer the quieter marks, I'm not big on crowds :uhuh:! Any fish will do but preferably something to brag about! I like the sound of a stingray or a baracuda, something that will pull back!

Cheers

Rob.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Rob

I have fished playa blanca for the last 5 years or so about 4 or 5 times a year.

You can catch on the float, ledger or lure but it really depends on your preference, for which you want to do more.

I'd suggest you'd catch more on the float but the better fish can be caught on lure fishing but you really have to be persistent. I have fished all methods but spent most time lure fishing.

I nearly performed all my fishing from the castle (castillo) rocks just off the volcan hotel and had others off the harbour wall. I have caught Bonito, Breca, Trevally, Barracudas and Lizard fish. These have mainly been caught fishing on a lightish setup 30-70g balanced approach, casting about 80-90m. There is deep water at both of these marks and are both pretty quiet. Remember you can't fish into harbours and marinas.

I have fished other marks (r/h rocks flamingo, abandoned hotel) but never been at the right times with the right winds. Some places can be really dangerous so don't wandering if the surf is up and always watch the water for a good 15 mins before venturing out.

The 2 places I mentioned at the start are always OK fish and pretty safe but beware ferry swell. The rocks are alway slippery close the the edge so take precaution when walking on them.

I have had fish on the surface as well which is great fun. Blue and silver coloured lures in metal or soft rubber have worked well for me and they cat really well.

Low light conditions are the best so try first or last light.

If you really fancy a big un (rays i believ but never tried...always in the bars!) try the beaches in the dark with dead bait but you need big 30lb+ tackle.

The is some further info on here from others who have good experience as well (Mike, itgotaway and Jeroen) it's all good stuff!

Write us a review on your return

Good luck

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
Hi forum

This is my first post so thanks up front in anticipation of your help.

I fly to Lanzarote next Saturday and intend to take some gear with me. I've been trolling this forum and know that there is loads of stuff on here about Lanzarote but I'm struggling to make some sense of it, there are so many differing opinions.

I can take whatever gear is needed, light, medium, heavy, lure, float, bottom, I've got it all. I just need a definite steer on where the marks are and how and when to fish it. I'm staying a few minutes walk from Marina Rubicon in Playa Blanca but I'll have a car anyway, getting to the marks isn't a problem. I prefer the quieter marks, I'm not big on crowds :uhuh:! Any fish will do but preferably something to brag about! I like the sound of a stingray or a baracuda, something that will pull back!

Cheers

Rob.
Hi Rob, I'm out there for most of November if your still there then i could show you a few marks?? your probably in the best part of the island for fishing:thumbs: if your into lure fishing then try from the lighthouse up towards the abandoned hotel on the west coast, you will need lure's that you can cast a fare way ie 30grm dexters etc or 30grm+ rapalas as it can get very windy on that side of the island, skipjacks, cudas, etc, be carefull though before you start fishing just sit on a rock and watch the swell for a good 20minutes:rtfm: don't know to much about the other end of playa blanca give Jeroen PM he knows his stuff on the Island, good luck:thumbs: ps if you want a quiet day away from the crowds drive along to playa quemada park up and walk the rocks north towards calero, there's some great marks there for lures or float and very safe, tbh, I go there twice a year and lure fishing can be hard work so I would say take some float gear with you as well, there are some massive mullet:thumbs:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Take a look at 'Lanzarote' post 25.07.12 started by Catchafew.
Has everything you need.
Good luck and don't forget to give a report when you get back.
ps I don't know how to add a 'link'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks lads, I'll put a report on when I get back. Even if it's just thta I blanked!

What leads to I need for bottom fishing? I've bought some 3oz breakaways, are they about right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Rob, I'm out there for most of November if your still there then i could show you a few marks?? your probably in the best part of the island for fishing:thumbs: if your into lure fishing then try from the lighthouse up towards the abandoned hotel on the west coast, you will need lure's that you can cast a fare way ie 30grm dexters etc or 30grm+ rapalas as it can get very windy on that side of the island, skipjacks, cudas, etc, be carefull though before you start fishing just sit on a rock and watch the swell for a good 20minutes:rtfm: don't know to much about the other end of playa blanca give Jeroen PM he knows his stuff on the Island, good luck:thumbs: ps if you want a quiet day away from the crowds drive along to playa quemada park up and walk the rocks north towards calero, there's some great marks there for lures or float and very safe, tbh, I go there twice a year and lure fishing can be hard work so I would say take some float gear with you as well, there are some massive mullet:thumbs:
Thanks for the tips, I'm only there for a week, I'll be gone by Oct 15th.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks lads, I'll put a report on when I get back. Even if it's just thta I blanked!

What leads to I need for bottom fishing? I've bought some 3oz breakaways, are they about right?
You don't want breakaways at all. You use very cheap plumb weights because you lose so many. You can buy them there.
I have never once blanked in Lanzarote and that's out of more than a hundred sessions, there's so many fish!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First session completed near the pork pie shaped castle at marina rubicon. Not good news, caught just one weird looking lizard type fish. More to follow.............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.