World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone from this area point me in the right direction, to marks that have any extensive kelp beds. Just would like to give it a go over a flood tide or two with my poppers:) in that area, this year

PM, if you like

Cheers

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks very much H.A. I did mean to the east of Hayling

Can I ask, are the channels mentioned more sand and mud or do they have 'kelp reefs' too? Are the banks on the east side of West Thorney any good or should I go to Chidham area or further east, say to Bosham Hoe area?

Just want to increase my chances of some good sport this year.

Maybe we should have a 'plugging' friendly comp this year in this area with you boys vs Sussex?:clap3:

Cheers

Neil

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Hi

I was talking about the sand bars (West Pole and East Winner) which are formed at the two harbour mouths and extend outside. These areas are unexploited but hold an amazing head of bass. The channels and gulleys I'm talking about are the ones outside the mouths and are mainly sand with some kelp (which develops through the summer) in the more protected areas in the lee of the tide.

You need to recce on a big Spring to see what I mean. Park at the end of Southwood Rd. (Ignore the word Havant on this map!!!! It's SE Hayling)

http://sthwood.notlong.com

Zoom back two notches to see where you are.

I don't know much about the Thorney to Bosham stretch of the harbour, but bear in mind that water clarity is much better on the flood and over HW than on the ebb. I know they fly fish for bass at the tip of Thorney, but access is difficult.
Anywhere inside the harbour mouths is mud and silt.

Hope that helps

Ada

Ada, you just gave away all my favourite spots when I come up for the "Moonshine". I usually come up a couple of hours early, and plug around the old pipe and the pier structure. Just as well its only Pugs your telling.....
You ever had a trip out with Justyn Anwyl? He accesses Thorney in a gorgeous old clinker built open boat. I'm saving up my pennies to have a trip with him this year if you fancy it? Not cheap, about £80 per person per day I think, but a unique experience!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts