World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 fixed spool reels off ebay and took them out for a few casting tries in a field near me to see how they are before I hit the pier and im glad I did!

on my first overhead cast using a 5oz sinker the line slipped through my fingers and went upwards landing less than 2 feet from me...

2nd cast was the same but not as close, this happened a couple of times until I gripped the line to the point of my fingers hurting just to be able to cast forwards.

im not sure what line is on the reels but from the listing I think its 0.30mm..

this is not good!

Is there any way I can use this or grip it better?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Multipliers? Try a piece of innertube trapped under the reel foot, long enough to fold up and over the spool

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry should have said, fixed spool, I do have 2 multipliers but I don't use them, taken them out twice and both times I got 1 good cast then a birds nest that resulted in scissors and rage.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Check the drag is tight and the spool can't spin, if OK then look for a 'finger stall'

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
with the bale arm up the spool dosent spin anyway it just unrolls as the line comes out

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The spool would spin with the bail arm open if the drag was slack.
When you say it unrolls when the line comes out, do you mean the spool?
The spool shouldn't move, hence 'fixed spool', the line unwraps around the stationary spool.
Perhaps I've read you wrong?

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
did you use a shockleader ? 0.30 is about 12lb mainline , safer and less slip as well on a strong cast

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
I bought 2 fixed spool reels off ebay and took them out for a few casting tries in a field near me to see how they are before I hit the pier and im glad I did!

on my first overhead cast using a 5oz sinker the line slipped through my fingers and went upwards landing less than 2 feet from me...

2nd cast was the same but not as close, this happened a couple of times until I gripped the line to the point of my fingers hurting just to be able to cast forwards.

im not sure what line is on the reels but from the listing I think its 0.30mm..

this is not good!

Is there any way I can use this or grip it better?
0.3mm is about 12lb line. you are using a shock leader aren't you?

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
You should be gripping 60 lb shockleader not thin mainline .
Are you trapping the line against the rod so the line is 90 degrees (square ) to the reel spool.
If your hand is to far forward you will struggle to hold the line.
Best to slow the cast down till you get you timing right.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Here you can see a bit of tape/plaster wrapped around the casting finger which may help, you could also try the finger cut from a marigold rubber glove

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not using shockleader and yeah the spool is fixed and not moving the line unrolls around the spool, Im not up on all these fishing terms.
drags full tight bail arm open but when I start to bring the rod up and over my head the line starts to slip.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You should be gripping 60 lb shockleader not thin mainline .
Are you trapping the line against the rod so the line is 90 degrees (square ) to the reel spool.
If your hand is to far forward you will struggle to hold the line.
Best to slow the cast down till you get you timing right.
Ive never used shockleader but I guess I should start.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Yes mate, definitely use a shock leader!
Check the pic above for correct grip/line position

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
the drop of the weight from rod tip ? ie line from rod tip to weight before cast have it at about 6ft at least

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Ive never used shockleader but I guess I should start.
Probably a good idea, because next time it might be someone else's head that meets your 5oz weight...

60lb line, 6 turns on the spool and twice the length of the rod is about right.

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
a shockleader being thicker line will be more comfortable on casting , as said above a slow flick to start with and gradually build , the pic above of where to trap the line is excellent , a longer drop will mean less snatch on the cast though i think most of this is probably a thin line acting like a potential cheesecutter on your finger , a finger protector would also help in this at least till you get used to it

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers for the help guys, ive been using a pretty thick 20lb line so this is a lot thinner than what im used to.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts