World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the dory out on Thurs 14th July just off the Scaurs at Redcar. Cod to 3-4lb (keepers) whiting, gurnard, flatties, pouting and a ton of mackeral (all returned). We stopped in the bay at south gare to catch a few fresh mackeral for the pot before recovering the boat. While using small silver lures we caught a few massive launce - minimum 12 inches. I've never caught or seen them before.

BTW Some dozy pr*ck cast his lead 6ft past and over the boat - then put his hands to his mouth in mock horror as though he didn't mean it, what a no brain DING.

wildercard.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Hi Wildcard, "BTW Some dozy pr*ck cast his lead 6ft past and over the boat - then put his hands to his mouth in mock horror as though he didn't mean it, what a no brain DING. "

yep i know what you mean I see a lot of "Smack-heads" on the gare, I even saw about 3 or 4 of em drinking beer at 6 am !, a bit on the Stupid Side if you ask me,
and the mess they leave it's a shame.
These so called anglers do not have any brains at all. How I wish they would "Stay At Home"

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,

Another thing that irritates me is the wholesale mackeral slaughter at this time of year. Fish are left to wrot in the sun or flap around helplessly by anglers who don't even want them. I overheard one no brainer say he couldn't give them away. Fish for fun and take a few for the pot - put the rest back should be the order of the day.

wildercard

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I know what you mean, the other day one "Oldish Man" who should know better was just unhooking them and putting them into a carryer-bag letting them wriggle about till they died, Bloody Cruel if you ask me, and of course I would have said something to him but he was with 3 others and I was alone so if I said anything I might have got a hiding, I only wish my pals was with me "then he & the others would have been told without a doubt.
Also someone gutted about 15 to 20 mackys and just left the heads & guts all over the place.
At times I wish I had some sort of Authority !!! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

We fished a local South Gare marine club boat match on Sunday and at the weigh-in there were fish that had been left in the sun all afternoon to dry out, some anglers are just clueless.
I weighed in a prime cod at 8lb 6oz for joint second - there were 2 ling that would have beaten it if looked after properly.

wildercard.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
"8lb 6oz for joint second"...Very Nice, Well Done :)

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike,

There are some really nice cod around from Redcar Scaurs to as far as Whitby. Theyr'e not really shoaled up, more in small groups. If you can get boat fishing do it.

wildercard.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I'd love to get out in a boat but the last time I went out I was sick as a dog....never again do I want to feel like that :eek: , so I think I'll stick to the beach for now, Looking farward to the winter months and getting into some cod :)

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike,

In my experience people are seasick because they are taken out on the wrong day/tide. If the right day/tide are chosen there will be not much more than a ripple on the water. People are usually sick because:

1/. They went on a commercial fishing trip where they paid money and booked in advance. The skipper had two options, leave the party onshore and lose money or fish in rough weather and get paid - ask yourself which you would do if it was your boat.

2/. They arranged to fish on a set day with some-one they know (or a friend of a friend) who is not very professional - it is usually the weekend normally a Sunday.
They end up fishing because they said they would, they have bought bait and every-one has turned up.

The best way is to wait for the right weather/day/tide and take the day off - usually not always possible of course.

wildercard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i normally fish from boats at hartlepool but normally was at least 2 years ago due to work committments unfortunately...so yesterday i took the wife to redcar did a little shopping and whilst there thought i wud buy a spinning rod and light tacle to go spinning for mackarel off the south gare.......thourghly enjoyed it but what a rough element gets down there nowadays....rowdy/drunkeness/little kids too close to the waers edge/parents not giving a monkeys/litter in abundance/sad really......as an older generation of 45 years old i saw a young lad catch a mackerel,promptly rendered it a swift blow on its head/bag it in a plastic bag..waited 2 hours then threw bag and FISH into the sea????why i,ll never know...if anybody wants a fishing partner on weekends only from a local boat MIDDLESBROUGH area i am in....feel free to be in touch.....i will gladly pay the cost of any diesel or petrol....shore fishing saddens me and to remonstrate with the young lad would no doubt be met with derision or a mouthful of [email protected]

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keith,

Best way to get a bit of decent boat action is just to turn up at Whitby and find a boat with a spare place or two. They all leave at 7.am, so if you get there at 6.30am you will find one no probs. Pick a neap tide during a spell of settled high pressure weather.

If you could go midweek you could hitch a ride on my boat - everyone wants to fish the weekend.

wildercard

·
Registered
1 Posts
hiya my name is aaron morris i live in boro and i go to the gare offten im only 16 and get there on my scooter lol but i have seen drunks and gypos and drug addicts at the gare latly compared to a coupole of years ago so i genrealy go on the beach fishing i have caught upto 15 mackrel in 1 4 hour senssion fishing with a corked partnoster rig and a set of feathers for some great fun ive also caught codling and flattys using crab as hook bait but i need some more noledge for this venue as i have recently found out how to cast properly, i started fishing the beach because of an old magezine i found in my loft (sea fishing-1995) which was about south gare but was tellin people to fish the beach and had a diagram which told you where the kelp beds and rocks are !!! but i would like some information on te venue please by any angler with advice on baits and tides so on !!!thanks :) :D

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Hi aaron, I don't fish on the beach at redcar I only go on the gare, but I like the look of the place where the diggers go to dig lugworm, I'm sure you will get some flatties off that part.
Can anyone tell me if you/we can fish off that load of rocks that surround "Paddys Hole" ? where all the boats are tied up, that might give up some fish !!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
hello mate.if you fish from the rocks on paddys hole side you can get some nice flatties out of there,i usually fish a bit further up near the pilot house when its a bit rough on the end of the breakwater,ive had some nice codling out of there and its also good for whiting when they are about a bit later on. andy p.

·
Registered
5 Posts
does any one know what they call the boet club on the south gare or a tell number or email and how much to launch aboats from there slipway or to join the club if you could email me it please to [email protected] thank everty one

1 - 16 of 16 Posts