World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying myself a boat, something like a warrior 165, but mainly I'd be fishing alone. Is it possible to launch these boats single handedly, and if so what happens to the car and trailer, wouldn't they be left on the slipway?
Also what courses should I look at taking before I go out, and lastly does anyone know of any small boat clubs near Burnham-on-Sea, I'd like to go and have a chat to some people already doing the same thing in my area before I splash out.

Thanks for any help.
Tipper

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
There is normally somewhere to tie the boat up while you move the car and trailer.
Get yourself on an RYA powerboat level 2 course, run over two days,costs approx £250.
It will give you all the basics in boat handling you need to make a safe start.
Also you will need to go on a VHF radio course,done on one day and costs about £80.
Dont forget to budget for lifejacket and flares and you should be set to go :boat:

Alan

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
It is possible, with certain precautions. Make sure you have a powerful towing vehicle, 4x4 preferably as being stuck on a slipway on your own is even worse. Invest in a rollercoaster trailer, they make recovering a doddle. Fit sturdy trailer side guide bars to keep the boat over the trailer as you recover. Fit a metal keel band as your boat will have to fend for itself while you park or collect the vehicle, if you have a crew they would hold the boat off the shingle. Don't leave the boat if the tide is dropping fast as the boat could ground while you are parking and in a few minutes could be stuck until the next tide comes in. I used to trail a heaver Alaska 500 and was alone more often than had company, so I got used to a "one-man procedure". I documented a lot of this in my book "Angling Boats" which has a chapter on launching and recovering. Hope that helps.

G

·
Tipper

I believe that Burnham on Sea has an excellent boat angling club with full launching facilities (including tractor) from the beach.

My local club Poole Bay Smal Boat Angling Club, does an annual trailaway and return with the guys from Burnham.
If you visit http://www.pbsbac.co.uk , join the forum there and ask about Burnham, someone will very quickly give you the contact details.

Tom

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hi Tipper

I have a 165 and have launch alone without too many problems, I would suggest the 150 is even easier.

It depends where you intend to launch but favorate is to use a small light anchor to hold the boat after launching, if there is nowhere to tie up to, and recover the trailer and tow car. You will not be popular if you leave it on the slipway let alone what happens when the tide comes in!

If you want to check what owner think of their boats see my web site http://fishing_boats.tripod.com/

If you are looking for a boat club in the Burnham area try here http://www.burnhamboats.co.uk/

Good luck on your quest.

Dave
:)

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I'm considering buying myself a boat, something like a warrior 165, but mainly I'd be fishing alone. Is it possible to launch these boats single handedly, and if so what happens to the car and trailer, wouldn't they be left on the slipway?
Also what courses should I look at taking before I go out, and lastly does anyone know of any small boat clubs near Burnham-on-Sea, I'd like to go and have a chat to some people already doing the same thing in my area before I splash out.

Thanks for any help.
Tipper
Hi I can't comment for down your way but I regularly launch my 15ft Seahog on my own with no problems. Except sometimes getting it back on the trailer in a bit of a swell. I get more worried leaving the boat after I get it launched to park the car and stow the trailer. (I'm sure I'll forget to tie it up sooner or later. I left the bung out last time!)
Most slipways that I have paid for have space for parking and there is always room somewhere for your trailer.
Dave.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I will probably be critisized here, but a novice, or experianced, for that matter boating alone, is not a good practice.

I have no black and white evidence but I have been told there are more people drowned getting on and off boats than there are at sea, and that's before you get started.
An extra pair of hands makes all the difference, for many different reasons, of all the saftey equipment you can ever get a fishing buddy must be top of the list, a female one preferably [a bit thin on the ground though].

It's also more fun with a companion, I think!
Rgds TB

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I cycle my bike through Edinburgh all alone heart in mouth!:unsure:
That is considerably the most dangerous thing I do in my life. :yucky:
Much more dangerous than the calculated risk of taking my boat :boat: out single handed. At least I can be pretty sure were I fish I won't be run over!
Companions? A mixed blessing at times.:g: .
Dave.:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I will probably be critisized here, but a novice, or experianced, for that matter boating alone, is not a good practice.

I have no black and white evidence but I have been told there are more people drowned getting on and off boats than there are at sea, and that's before you get started.
An extra pair of hands makes all the difference, for many different reasons, of all the saftey equipment you can ever get a fishing buddy must be top of the list, a female one preferably [a bit thin on the ground though].

It's also more fun with a companion, I think!
Rgds TB
i with many others in guernsey fish single handed most of the time. without problems. some times those that come for a trip out are the problem. some have turned up with no warm clothes. and worst of all no life jacket

·
Banned
1,115 Posts

Thanks for any help.
Tipper
I fish Morecambe bay and the tide goes out a LONG way here. When I've launched on my own at low, or just on the turn, you sometimes have to drop the boat (very gently!) onto the sand. You then pay out a good 20-30 foot of anchor/rope and tie off. Then it's a mile back up the beach with the club tractor/trailer and a good walk back. During which time, if you've judged it right, the boat is almost afloat. If you haven't judged it right, the boat just swings inshore with the tide on the anchor and you may have a bit of wade out!!
It may not be everyones cup of tea but it works for us up here:)

It's definately a good idea to join a local club. You'll pick up loads of tips on how to fish your area and more often than not there'll be other people launching at the same time as yourself. Quite often I've had my trailer taken back ashore for me, saving me the long walk!!:) And even if you do prefer your own company, it's a good idea to have other familiar boats out in the vicinity. There's always safety in numbers and another friendly boat is the best auxiliary you could have if you encounter difficulties :notworthy

·
Severn Area Rescue
12,366 Posts
i would not like to launch on my own, mph1954 has a mery fisher 580 and we can lauch that quite comfortably but when there a slight wind it takes some sort of holding by me when mph1954 is parking the trailer up doing it on your would be a very nervous proccedure, and may end up losing intrest all together if the launching and recovering is a struggle, might be worth you paying the extra and having it moored some where

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Tipper

I believe that Burnham on Sea has an excellent boat angling club with full launching facilities (including tractor) from the beach.

My local club Poole Bay Smal Boat Angling Club, does an annual trailaway and return with the guys from Burnham.
If you visit http://www.pbsbac.co.uk , join the forum there and ask about Burnham, someone will very quickly give you the contact details.

Tom
Not only that but at the Burnham club you would not be launching alone. They all seem to get together and do a sorta kibbutz style collective launch.

Afishionado

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
If the slipway has vertical chains hanging down the sides of it, its simple, tie off fore & aft while you park up, come back down the slip, climb aboard, let go forard, let go aft, into gear & away to go.
Unfortunately Knab Rock doesn't have any vertical chains despite repeated requests "they might get stolen or vandalised" say Swansea Council (whats all that about) who is going to nick heavy chains attached to rings set into the vertical face of a slipway? so you have to rely on somebody being there to do you a "hang on" job:nonono:
Lifting the anchor without an Alderney Ring can be problematic, but OK if you are reasonably fit, & provided your boat is equipped with reasonable saftey gear no reason why you shouldn't go out alone, if you have confidence in your boat & your own abilities then why not?:g:
Plus you dont have a "Paid4 type character" trashing your furniture & fittings, & treading the maddies into the deck mat!:rtfm:
blueskip

·
Registered
253 Posts
hi
i believe the burnham club is affiliated to the yacht club so an enquiry there should get a phone no. as for launching single handed at burnham that might be more of a problem there is very little avalable parking for tow cars and trailers and you have to leave your boat on the beach while you park up, as afishionado says if there is any body about they will usually help but as i'm sure the other guys will tell you as soon as you get a boat you will have more friends than you can shake a stick at so launching alone wont be a problem for long. the other thing about burnham is the launch site today might be hard sand next week it could be a quagmire of mud, at any time a 4x4 is desirable the tractor tom speaks of is owned by a guy who lives near the beach and he takes his tractor to help out at comps.even he got bogged the last time the poole club came up in april hope this helps

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
If you are launching into deep water or where there is a tide run make sure you put your lifejacket on before you launch!
It's fairly safe in the boat, safe on the shore, it's the bit between that's dodgy!

I had a struggle retrieving my boat on my own for the first time. Made a few adjustments to the roller position and hope it is better next time out.

Certainly another pair of hands helps - at least until you get the routine sorted.

Once at sea - on your own - it might be an idea to carry the essentials on your belt or in your pockets.
I have a knife and small molegrips in belt sheaths, divers wrist compass, mini flares, whistle and hand- held VHF.
Should I end up in the water I have a fighting chance!

But it's a great sense of achievment when you get it right, catch a few fish - and have a great nights sleep after (knack***d)

If you have an auxiliary outboard it will be mounted to one side. This can throw the boat off balance when winching onto the trailer.
If this happens it may be an idea to take the auxilliary off before retrieving the boat.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Why is it that when someone asks a question there are answers from guys who seem to have missed the point entierly?
This guy is saying he is not experianced, not too sure about anything and therefore would it be dificult to do a solo launch. The only answer (in his case) Yes it is difficult.
The hows and whens of how you do it with your boat and how easy you make it are irrelevant. How easy it is for an expert or even a well practiced boat owner has nothing to do with a answer to Tipper that will help him end up successful.

The best and first thing to do is find the Burnham Sea Fishing Club and join them, even before he buys a boat. Watching and listening to them is worth more than an RYA course. If Tipper decides to go ahead and buy a boat after that, then it is worth thinking about RYA courses and Radio licences.

Afishionado

·
Registered
7,016 Posts

Thanks for any help.
Tipper
I used to launch off the beach at WsM.
I'd arrive on a flooding tide and drive as far down the sand as was safe, un-hitch the trailer and push is as far as I could get and tip the boat off the trailer with the bows pointind seaward.
Then i'd walk out with the anchor for about 50 yds and dig it in.
car and trailer up the beach, walk back to the boat and wait for it to float then pulled myself out on the anchor and hey presto just enough water to start the motor and get away.
I only returned after HW, drove through the waves and beached the boat. ( I had a few hairy moments doing that though) Again dropped the anchor just in case, fetched the car and trailer etc..
All done V quickly with practice.
Just had to know where the firm sand stopped so I didnt strand the car on a rising tide!!!!!!!!!.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Why is it that when someone asks a question there are answers from guys who seem to have missed the point entierly?
This guy is saying he is not experianced, not too sure about anything and therefore would it be dificult to do a solo launch. The only answer (in his case) Yes it is difficult.
The hows and whens of how you do it with your boat and how easy you make it are irrelevant. How easy it is for an expert or even a well practiced boat owner has nothing to do with a answer to Tipper that will help him end up successful.

The best and first thing to do is find the Burnham Sea Fishing Club and join them, even before he buys a boat. Watching and listening to them is worth more than an RYA course. If Tipper decides to go ahead and buy a boat after that, then it is worth thinking about RYA courses and Radio licences.

Afishionado
Tipper asked "but mainly I'd be fishing alone. Is it possible to launch these boats single handedly, and if so what happens to the car and trailer, wouldn't they be left on the slipway?"

Af I can't see that the replies given to Tippers question were other than helpful, and were just offering different folks experience?
I wouldn't doubt going to the club you suggest would be a great idea for Tipper but that does not preclude other input surely?:g:
Dave.

·
Registered
513 Posts

Afishionado
Well he did thank everybody for there input, and seemed happy with the response.
Being too critical abouts individuals input, could discourage some worthy advice.
Whenever a question is asked, there will always be, advice, ranging from very informative, to not worth a Sh--t.
You just have to sift it out.
Rgds TB

1 - 20 of 26 Posts