World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it easy to launch n retrieve at oxwich,can u pay for tractor or is it up to urself, also what is cost of car park for car and launch, thanks in advance for any info

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi mate

Fairly easy to launch depending on the boat, and the car! if you got a roller trailer and your boat does not need more than 2 feet of water to float with the leg up then its really easy, we can launch my 17foot boat between two of us, by taking it off the car and rolling it in! but you will need to drive the car onto the beach first.

Dont know of any tractors offering a recovery service, can be expensive to launch from there if your not part of the club, i think theres a sign threatening a £20 fee for unregistered boats which is why i dont launch from there unless the car park guy has gone home! ie late evening trip!

You may gat away with it, think its about £9 - £10 for car and trailer IF your part of the club, someone will confirm it though!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Car parking is 3.50, boat launch is 7.00, car launching IS possible if you stay on the hard sand & reverse the trailer & boat to the water, then unhitch the trailer & push it out, to recover push the trailer to the boat & winch the boat onto it, then attach a LONG rope from trailer to car & pull the lot up until your are on dry sand.
There is sometimes a tractor in the car park in the weekend evenings but I dont know who it belongs to, & its only there now & again. Best bet is arrange to launch the same time as us & if you get any problems we have 4x4s to get you in & out!;)
If you are a "first timer" these prices apply. if you want to launch regularly you have to join "Oxwich Bay Boat Club" a twenty five pound rip-off, but if you dont join & the guy recognises you, they double the launch fee!:nonono:

·
Registered
784 Posts
free launching in port eynon 4 quid parking all day

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
free launching in port eynon 4 quid parking all day
Agreed but Port Eynon requires a 4 x 4 (a big one) minimum or preferably a tractor. My mate has just bought a tractor as he was struggling to launch his rib with a Hyundai 4 x 4 there & first launch managed to get that stuck ! There is no way you would launch with a car & the distance from beach to car park is a fair walk.
Although Oxwich is dearer it is a much much easier launch. As Vic says if you tagged along we could help you launch/retrieve.

headlight

·
Registered
506 Posts
Got to agree with Headlight on that one, i use port eynon and am part of the club so for £30 ITS FREE LAUNCHING AND YOU GET TO USE THE locked :lock: CARPARK AT THE TOP OF THE SLIP!

BUT You NEED a decent 4x4, our freelander got stuck EVERY TIME!

Our Hilux Surf does it no problem at all though!

Blueskips advice is spot on also, Oxwich is an easier launch, I just dont like the costs!

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Got to agree with Headlight on that one, i use port eynon and am part of the club so for £30 ITS FREE LAUNCHING AND YOU GET TO USE THE locked :lock: CARPARK AT THE TOP OF THE SLIP!

BUT You NEED a decent 4x4, our freelander got stuck EVERY TIME!

Our Hilux Surf does it no problem at all though!

Blueskips advice is spot on also, Oxwich is an easier launch, I just dont like the costs!
I also am a member of the Port Eynon Boat Club, have been for years. However I haven"t launched there for 3 years now as the launching has got more & more difficult as the years go by. There is some talk that the council is going to build a new slip in time for next summer but I don"t know how true that is.
Besides being a much easier launch there is a water supply in the car park at Oxwich so provided you bring a hose & threaded tap connector you can wash off the boat & trailer & flush through the engine.

headlight

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
am i right in thinking someone here is contemplating launching a boat at oxwich without a 4x4?

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
am i right in thinking someone here is contemplating launching a boat at oxwich without a 4x4?
Don"t know. The OP just asked asked if it was easy to launch there, no mention of what vehicle he has.
You can launch with a 2 wheel drive car there (I did it for years before I got my first 4 x 4) but you need to be careful. However with a 4 x 4 there are no drama"s whatsoever.

headlight

·
Registered
59 Posts
still got to be wary with a 4x4, i used to have a mooring there a few years ago and arrived one morning about 4.30am to see the roof of a new discovery sticking out of the surf. think it was reported in the evening post. gets congested at highwater on the slip.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
still got to be wary with a 4x4, i used to have a mooring there a few years ago and arrived one morning about 4.30am to see the roof of a new discovery sticking out of the surf. think it was reported in the evening post. gets congested at highwater on the slip.
Been launching there for 25 years. To a get a Discovery or similar sized 4x4 stuck you are either doing something wrong or don"t know how to drive a 4x4. I have pulled a few 4x4"s out over the years but they have always been the drivers fault that they got stuck & not the vehicles.
One summer I pulled the same Hilux out 4/5 times.
I am not saying don"t be careful but with a reasonable sized 4x4 correctly driven you shouldn"t have any problems.

headlight

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
As you say there are some who could get a DUKW stuck one bloke managed to get his BMW 4x4 bogged down earlier on this season recovering a jet ski! I was very tempted to leave the pair of them there:whistling:
I asked him why he didn't disconnect the trailer & jetski from the vehicle & get the vehicle out? & why he didnt take the jetski off the trailer to get the trailer out (it was up to the top of the wheels in the sand). He looked at me as if I was a ******, & only when he did what I said did I attempt to pull his BMW out, he then started from scratch & everything was easy! Saying that he was a BMW driver & a jet skier, poor bugger had nothing going for him!:nonono::roll1:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Car parking is 3.50, boat launch is 7.00, car launching IS possible if you stay on the hard sand & reverse the trailer & boat to the water, then unhitch the trailer & push it out, to recover push the trailer to the boat & winch the boat onto it, then attach a LONG rope from trailer to car & pull the lot up until your are on dry sand.
There is sometimes a tractor in the car park in the weekend evenings but I dont know who it belongs to, & its only there now & again. Best bet is arrange to launch the same time as us & if you get any problems we have 4x4s to get you in & out!;)
If you are a "first timer" these prices apply. if you want to launch regularly you have to join "Oxwich Bay Boat Club" a twenty five pound rip-off, but if you dont join & the guy recognises you, they double the launch fee!:nonono:
what blueskip said about a long rope is good advice as at bottom water your a long way out trying to launch/retrieve, just be careful if pulling an empty trailer out using this method as the wheels on the trailer are submerged. we saw a guy get run over by the trailer once, frightening at first but even he had to laugh after.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
many thanks guys, i have a small 4x4 however the costs of launch n towing from swansea plus traffic etc might b easier to steam over from swansea,thanks again for all replies

·
Registered
133 Posts
Why don't you join Afan boat club? They have a concrete slipway and you can launch and recover with about 4.8 metres Mumbles tide height. No parking fees and there is a locked barrier to prevent incorrect access.

cheers

Martin

·
Registered
376 Posts
will get down to oxwich soon just to have a look cos not been out since cristmas (work commitments)and want to see how easy it is beach launching (sounds horrible though) otherwise its burryport:spiteful: or mumbles:bye2:
have 4x4 and rollercoaster trailer but want to check it out first

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
will get down to oxwich soon just to have a look cos not been out since cristmas (work commitments)and want to see how easy it is beach launching (sounds horrible though) otherwise its burryport:spiteful: or mumbles:bye2:
have 4x4 and rollercoaster trailer but want to check it out first
With a 4x4 & roller coaster trailer launching is easy (common sense needed obviously but easy launch). I launch a Raider 18 Wheelhouse with a Discovery there, sometimes on my own. The package weighs about 1,150kgs & is not a problem. Loads of 16-18ft boats launched there every week with no problems.
Problems are almost always down to the driver irrespective of vehicle being used.
If in any doubt myself & blueskip launch virtually every week there why not give one of us a pm & meet us.

headlight

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
many thanks guys, i have a small 4x4 however the costs of launch n towing from swansea plus traffic etc might b easier to steam over from swansea,thanks again for all replies
I know its more expensive to launch & park at Oxwich 10.50 as opposed to 6.20 at Knab Rock, but at Oxwich you can fish virtually in a westerly hurricane, if you confine yourself to the wreck & around the moorings & maybe St Christophers Knoll.
At the Knab you have either the Lighthouse Sound or the Cherry Stones to contend with, then Pwll Ddu Point & with anything over a very gentle westerly you wont get past them, then what does it cost you with say 50hp outboard, 1 litre per mile? 9 down, 9 back, thats 18quid, wheres the saving? & if it blows up when you are down there its a "clencher" to get back!;)
If you turn right at the cattle grid in Killay & go across Cefn Bryn then turn left in Reynoldston just before the King Arthur you have less than half a mile on the main road before you turn for Oxwich, I NEVER go through Parkmill any more, I had a nightmare first time with a bus & a caravan, never been through there since!:nono:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I take the same road as Blueskip, normally launch at port eynon though!

The only problem ive ever found with Oxwich, and its fairly rare, and if its a problem at oxwich it three times worse at prot eynon is a the odd 2 foot wave right on the beach line!

takes a bit more experience to negotiate a bouncing boat onto a trailer, but the recovery once your on your trailer with the 4x4 is easy enough!

AGAIN i find myself agreeing with Blueskip, i run a 3litre hilux surf and it DRINKS diesel, but its cheaper to drive towing the boat THAN IT IS TO RUN MY 90HP THE LENGTH Of GOWER by sea!!!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Best way to combat it is to throw caution to the wind, take the chesties off, & push the trailer right under the boat in the deeper water, so you get wet but at least you dont hole your boat by it bouncing on your trailer, which can happen if you try to bring it on in shallow water.
I dont mind really, because in those conditions it would be either Paid4, I am going spinning, or Watersblue who will be in the "really deep end":whistling::roll1:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts