World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here launch regularly on Loch Ness? The most accessible place appears to be at Dores but the slip is often very congested and not in the best condition, with fairly large stones and often a strong cross wind there's too much chance of damage for me, any other suggestions where launching can be done safely? TIA.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have launched at Dores, the slip is fine, not usually busy.

That would be the main launch site, struggling to think of a better one.

Cheers

Does anyone on here launch regularly on Loch Ness? The most accessible place appears to be at Dores but the slip is often very congested and not in the best condition, with fairly large stones and often a strong cross wind there's too much chance of damage for me, any other suggestions where launching can be done safely? TIA.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was there in the summer and the car park was mobbed, there would've been nowhere to leave the pickup and trailer, the loch at the time was quite low showing some big stones to the side of the slip, the way the wind can funnel into that corner it concerned me that it would be really easy to do damage, it's such a shame there's not a decent accessible slip anywhere with some shelter

·
Registered
14 Posts
The slip at Dores is useless in anything but an easterly or very light southerly. If it gets up or changes direction as it often does when you are out you will be in trouble
Estates and local council types don't want you on the Loch so there is only one other public slip . Near Fort Augustus at Cherry Island
Well sheltered but deadly exiting small car park onto busy road with fast bikes.
Glenmoriston Estate has moorings 300+ a year good value if you use a lot. Well sheltered but can be so low you can't get out or flooded.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The slip at Dores is useless in anything but an easterly or very light southerly. If it gets up or changes direction as it often does when you are out you will be in trouble
Estates and local council types don't want you on the Loch so there is only one other public slip . Near Fort Augustus at Cherry Island
Well sheltered but deadly exiting small car park onto busy road with fast bikes.
Glenmoriston Estate has moorings 300+ a year good value if you use a lot. Well sheltered but can be so low you can't get out or flooded.
Hope that helps
Thanks that was what I’d thought about Dores I’ve seen guys struggling to recover their boats with the cross wind, combined with the big stones either side of the slip it’s a recipe for doing damage, I looked at the other slip and agree getting out of the car park with a jeep and boat would be interesting! I asked a while ago about temple pier but that’s a closed shop! It’s such a shame that unless you launch at Caley marina then go through the locks there’s almost no access, I’d want to launch and recover at a weekend so that rules out even using caley marina!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I heard that Foyers local community have bought out the old Factory and plan a slip . So it might be a while but hopefully things will improve. What a shame our Government don't invest in tourism
Unless you have a canoe or hire a boat it's hopeless. Highland business at present just want them to pass through leave cash and not blot the countryside with their presence.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heard that Foyers local community have bought out the old Factory and plan a slip . So it might be a while but hopefully things will improve. What a shame our Government don't invest in tourism
Unless you have a canoe or hire a boat it's hopeless. Highland business at present just want them to pass through leave cash and not blot the countryside with their presence.
I’d heard a rumour about a planned slip and would certainly have no objection to paying to use it, unless it’s a caley cruiser they don’t want you on the loch!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
The Scottish government could learn a lot about launching facilities by taking a trip around Ireland. The facilities there far outstrip those in the whole of the UK.
British local councils live in fear of Health and Safety repercussions, and are happy to leave the initiative to business investment, leading to charges for the use of the facilities.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Always found Scotland frustrating for finding decent slipway, so many fantastic waters but so little access! What access I could find was often partially blocked by mysterious boulders that were not there one year but appeared from the heavens by the next!

As per a previous comment "just leave your money as you pass through" seems to be the ethos for many Scottish councils!

Since moving to France I am amazed by the number and quality of river slipways. Of course I do not have a trailer boat outfit now!

Wish I had found my present outfit when I lived in Scotland. Packs into the car boot, very portable by one person and slim enough to push down a footpath to the water.
https://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/threads/river-lot-france.34551587/

Downside is that it's cramped for more than a few hours fishing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts