World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks how easy is it to launch from porthoustock beach with a sib on a trailer and can you park nearby, towing vehicle is nissan navara.
Cheers Bert

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's not far out to the manacles reefs from there. I went on my SIB last month. The tidal rip over the reef was pretty amazing.

I think I didn't quite have enough weight to work the lures where I needed to be near the bottom. I would make sure you have plenty of heavy lures if your planning on trying there.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou for your replies, I'll have a look at porthallow. I seem to remember diving at porthallow many years ago, didnt realise they had a slip, thanks.
Yes was going to try drifting some reefs the manacles being one of them. What size lures to do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Thankyou for your replies, I'll have a look at porthallow. I seem to remember diving at porthallow many years ago, didnt realise they had a slip, thanks.Yes was going to try drifting some reefs the manacles being one of them. What size lures to do you recommend?
Just to be clear, Porthallow does not have a slip, neither does Porthoustock. They are both beach launches.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thankyou for your replies, I'll have a look at porthallow. I seem to remember diving at porthallow many years ago, didnt realise they had a slip, thanks.
Yes was going to try drifting some reefs the manacles being one of them. What size lures to do you recommend?
I can't claim to be an expert, I only fished it once and blanked. But I believe I was not working my lures close enough to the bottom, based on discussion with another angler after the event.

It was a large tide when I went and I was using up to 40g paddle tail jigheads. Maybe on a smaller tide this would be OK, but if I went again I think I'd try and get hold of some heavier jigheads. The alternative, which I wish I'd have tried, would have been to go old school with a lead and boom and a jelly worm or eddystone eel, as obviously you can use a lot more lead doing that method.

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
I can't claim to be an expert, I only fished it once and blanked. But I believe I was not working my lures close enough to the bottom, based on discussion with another angler after the event.

It was a large tide when I went and I was using up to 40g paddle tail jigheads. Maybe on a smaller tide this would be OK, but if I went again I think I'd try and get hold of some heavier jigheads. The alternative, which I wish I'd have tried, would have been to go old school with a lead and boom and a jelly worm or eddystone eel, as obviously you can use a lot more lead doing that method.
Or just a decent bit of lead and baited feathers. Very old school and not very subtle, but they’ll take most things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts