World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i am new to this subject and me and my dad are wanting to start laying tyers down some lads who have tiers myt be able to help where would i start and where is a place where i could put them down in the tyne prefuably

thanks all

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
hi all i am new to this subject and me and my dad are wanting to start laying tyers down some lads who have tiers myt be able to help where would i start and where is a place where i could put them down in the tyne prefuably

thanks all
If you are placing tyres down in a river in the hope of collecting peeler crabs you want to be very careful . Anglers in Sussex put some tyres down in their local river and the Port Authority said they would prosecute those responsible for fly tipping.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
If you are placing tyres down in a river in the hope of collecting peeler crabs you want to be very careful . Anglers in Sussex put some tyres down in their local river and the Port Authority said they would prosecute those responsible for fly tipping.
Apparently the offending tyres could of caused problems for the local shipping....anglers responded in a swift and civil manner and all tyres have now been removed........harmony between anglers and the port authority has been maintained.:hug:

·
Registered
11,285 Posts
have a chat with jv. he will be able to tell you all you need to know :thumbs:

be careful because the mud down there is deep and sticky and your only a small lad. dont do it without your dad there until hes happy your ok.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
I'd really recommend you do not start doing this.

Peeler crab can be found under bladder-wrack in weedy estuary areas. Just don't snap up/break off the weed as you work through it (i.e. do it carefully) OR - PLEASE - do not turn stones that have had there arses buried in stinking black mud over onto fresh weed. Things like that shaft the habitat big style. Put 'em back nice and tidy!

This whole concept of "peeler-traps" is a load of clap-trap in my experience. What did they use before the "trappers" came along, eh? You will always find more in more natural and (to the crabs) familiar situations.

Learn to work with the natural world around you: it is always more rewarding. Learn about, and then look after, your local bait supply areas :)

Cheers - John

·
Registered
11,285 Posts
I'd really recommend you do not start doing this.

Peeler crab can be found under bladder-wrack in weedy estuary areas. Just don't snap up/break off the weed as you work through it (i.e. do it carefully) OR - PLEASE - do not turn stones that have had there arses buried in stinking black mud over onto fresh weed. Things like that shaft the habitat big style. Put 'em back nice and tidy!

This whole concept of "peeler-traps" is a load of clap-trap in my experience. What did they use before the "trappers" came along, eh? You will always find more in more natural and (to the crabs) familiar situations.

Learn to work with the natural world around you: it is always more rewarding. Learn about, and then look after, your local bait supply areas :)

Cheers - John

we do look after the areas we work...

and do you honestly think that if you could get more by looking in there natural areas we would be spending many arduous hours setting and working traps. :unsure:

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Apparently the offending tyres could of caused problems for the local shipping....anglers responded in a swift and civil manner and all tyres have now been removed........harmony between anglers and the port authority has been maintained.:hug:
The sort of harmony that you get when armed officers politely request that you lie down on the bonnet of the car and put your hands behind your back. :cc_surren

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
we do look after the areas we work...

and do you honestly think that if you could get more by looking in there natural areas we would be spending many arduous hours setting and working traps. :unsure:
Yes, I do!

I collect them from their natural habitat, if done carefully that is harmless and I'm not introducing foreign substances to it.

Having said which - I don't take very many peelers in a year. Hereabouts they are useful chiefly in April-May for the first bass run, and for very occasional wrassing off the rocks in summer. Once we get to this time of year, fish baits are tops - or at least, peeler does not give you a big advantage. I doubt if I get through 100 in an average year - and the first 90 are April-May. If I can quietly gather a dozen or so of a reasonable size before a session at that time of year I'm sorted!

It may be different where you live, although the nearest place I fished to thee was half a mile out from Arbroath, and frozen, cooked mussels brought in fairly impressive catches of codling.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
your on about gathering a dozen? lol, no wonder you think it easier without traps. A good day at my traps clears me a hundred peelers. that i keep in a tank at home until they are used OR if they gone crinkley i take 'em back to the sea.

·
Registered
11,285 Posts
Yes, I do!

I collect them from their natural habitat, if done carefully that is harmless and I'm not introducing foreign substances to it.

Having said which - I don't take very many peelers in a year. Hereabouts they are useful chiefly in April-May for the first bass run, and for very occasional wrassing off the rocks in summer. Once we get to this time of year, fish baits are tops - or at least, peeler does not give you a big advantage. I doubt if I get through 100 in an average year - and the first 90 are April-May. If I can quietly gather a dozen or so of a reasonable size before a session at that time of year I'm sorted!

It may be different where you live, although the nearest place I fished to thee was half a mile out from Arbroath, and frozen, cooked mussels brought in fairly impressive catches of codling.

Cheers - John
young robbie lives in an area where for 4 months of the year peeler is just about the only succesful bait. then come winter its a top cod bait.

where you mainly fish on the welsh coast peeler is mainly used for wrasse, bass or smoothhound. these fish are just as easy to catch on soft peeled crab so you are right in saying you can find a dozen easily for a session. your crab season is also 3 months longer than ours. on your coast fish baits will fish better most of the time. you are also fishing into clear water for a totally different range of species.

where young robbie does most of his fishing in the tyne estuary the water is like mud, bendy crabs are useless and the available species are nearly all only interested in crab.

fish baits this time of year are only any good as crab bait.

ragworm tipped with mackerel will get him the odd fish but he will always be second to someone using crab.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
I thought so mate!

Here, mackerel and sandeel reign supreme in Summer/early Autumn, after which they still work but shellfish and worm baits are good too. Peeler is tops Apr-May but after that it offers little advantage.

I'll often take just one or two softies to a wrasse-mark in June/July though. The scent brings them around, and after they have got in the mood they'll massacre frozen black lug - possibly the least likely thing a 3lb Ballan will find in life! Perhaps it's the same with humans and really nice organic ice-cream - although I have to admit I can't do a fair comparison, having not tried frozen black lug in any recipe that I use!!!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I agree with Chiefbeef here! Since I work on crabs, (I research the hormones that control their moult) and often need large numbers of peeler and soft crab on particular days, ad hoc collections aren't an option. So we use tyre traps. These are in a particularly muddy place in the Menai strait, so act as "crab magnets"- there not being many refuges in this sort of environment. They are all pretty naturalised now, having grown a fine crop of fucoid algae- so are essentially invisible:happy: Theres considerably less environmental disturbance caused by collecting from these, than by the time honoured method- which for many seems to involve NOT putting upturned stones back:cry:

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
I agree with Chiefbeef here! Since I work on crabs, (I research the hormones that control their moult) and often need large numbers of peeler and soft crab on particular days, ad hoc collections aren't an option. So we use tyre traps. These are in a particularly muddy place in the Menai strait, so act as "crab magnets"- there not being many refuges in this sort of environment. They are all pretty naturalised now, having grown a fine crop of fucoid algae- so are essentially invisible:happy: Theres considerably less environmental disturbance caused by collecting from these, than by the time honoured method- which for many seems to involve NOT putting upturned stones back:cry:
I totally agree that the latter is something where we sea-anglers must try to clean up our act! Bad collecting practises have shagged some of the peeler-beds round here some years. If gathering and you see someone doing this, please take the time to explain to them why it's such a bad thing.

Cheers - John

Cheers - John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts