World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I have fitted a "Lazy Line" to my dory anchor warp, all I have done is to buy a BIG snap on caribiner thing, which has a gape wide enough to go over the shackle that connects rope to chain, & to that I have connected an 18" bouy with 6ft of rope between them.
I tried it by just connecting the caribiner to the bouy & clipping it directly onto the anchor rope, but it didn't work, it seems that you need a length of rope between to give you a better angle when you steam off.
Mine works for me, but I only have a folding anchor ( a heavy one mind), it could be that the bigger the anchor the longer length of rope you will need between warp & bouy, as a fulcrum. blueskip

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi Cod father, Blue skip,
In my books a lazy line is a length of rope attached to the side of the boat and connected to the anchor warp via a sliding carabiner. when you start to pull in the anchor you keep tension on the lazy line as you steam at a slight angle to the warp, this will enable you to pull up the anchor over the side of the boat. Can be very naugthy in a strong tide, because you are in effect pulling the boat side on to the current. Blue skip what you describe is what I would call the Alderney ring, a very good way of lifting the anchor, but needs a lot of practice in calm conditions to get it right, before you try in our normal conditions. Can be very dangerous, because you stand a chance of getting the warp wrapped around your prop-engine leg and turning stern on to the current and swell. quite a few boats, even charter boats have gone down when getting it wrong. That said with practice and the right size of bouy, you will be able to retreive an anchor with out very little effort from yourself.
There was an article in Boat fishing mag a couple of months back about these methods.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Fishy Finger I only ever practice lifting my anchor in calm conditions, with a 13ft Boston Whaler if it aint calm, I dont go!
Thanks for the info on the "Alderney Ring" I saw it on one of the Australian or New Zealand fishing programmes on Sky & gave it a try. They did emphasise that you have to be travelling at an angle to keep the warp away from the prop, but they didn't give you the distance between caribiner & bouy, so I initially clipped one onto the other, without success, but what I have cobbled up now works fine, provided you keep away from the warp.
My main concern is if the anchor is stuck, & you go tight on it with the engine running, I assume you then take on the "Nautilus" attitude, & join Captain Nemo?
If I am fishing on broken ground or near a wreck I always lift by hand for safety sake, but I am a lazy sod!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Steve
Do you remember which month's issue it was in? I would like to have a look at that! cheers.
Vic

·
Registered
413 Posts
Vic,
I'll a dig around in my pile of Mags and get back in Touch.

·
Registered
208 Posts
the alderney rig is well explained in this isssue, but as you say this rig can realy mess up a days fishing and the coast guard would love you!
no safety info thou shame...

tight lines lads
chris.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Ta Doggy Hater, is it possible to attach a scanned document to this thread, or could you e-mail it to me [email protected] it would be much appreciated, getting hold of an issue that far back would be difficult. I cant understand why they never gave a govt health warning with it, I was blissfully unaware it could be dangerous, but on the Sky programme Alex Julius (Fishing Australia) emphasised that you had to steer away from the anchor warp to avoid fouling. I will see if I can find that programme again on Home&Leisure.
blueskip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts