World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i read the article about anchoring in this months edition of boat fishing and i have a few questions to ask 1/ does a lazy line have to be attached to the winch eye as it does not seem to be the strongest place to tie a rope from 2/ could the lazy line be attached to a bow ring were the bow roller goes.3/ does the boat actually pull the anchor out of the sea bed when using the alderney ring system4/ does the bouy on the line have to be big enough to support the weight of the anchor.5/do both these systems of anchoring offer any real advantages over popping up from a hatch, i can see the advantage over going up to the bow 6/so leading on from the other questions can either of these systems be used when out on your own as the article implied the auther had a mate along to help cheers andy

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The winching eye is well strong enough to tie off your lazy line to. The boat need to travel around 6-8 Knots to haul the anchor using an Alderney ring. The buoy you use has to be capable of supporting the weight of the anchor/chain. The boat does the hauling for you but the combination of the buoyancy and drag in the water of the buoy changes the angle of pull on the anchor and makes it easier to trip and haul. You can do it single handed easily but you need to know how and be aware that it can go wrong very quickly.

Safety tip when you are using a ring/buoy to lift your anchor. Have a serated razor sharp knife to hand where you can get to it instantly if you catch the rope on your prop.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
personally i dont use a lazy line once I have the anchor line fixed to length there is no need to go forward as your rope bucket is in the rear of the boat the alderny ring and bhouy is a safe way of retrieving but it takes practice, yes the boat does pull the anchor from the seabed using the ring and bhouy as a pully the bigger the bhouy the easier in my opinion you dont need a very big bhouy to support your anchor it is the drag of being pulled behind the boat that will submerge it hence getting the size right for your anchor, also if you set your anchor to trip by attaching your shackle to the bottom eyelet and use a zip tie to fasten the chain to the top eyelet you will avoid getting your anchor stuck

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi corr travling at 6-8 knot uptide with your anchor in must take a bit of bottle to do the first time what happens if the anchors stuck and you carry on going do you take a bow dive must be brown pants time or does this not happen cheers andy

·
Banned
820 Posts
hi corr travling at 6-8 knot uptide with your anchor in must take a bit of bottle to do the first time what happens if the anchors stuck and you carry on going do you take a bow dive must be brown pants time or does this not happen cheers andy
If you don't get that speed going it won't lift the anchor. It won't nose dive in. Just keep your angle on the rope clear of the prop. The throttle works both ways don't forget!
The anchor as Chris P and other forum veterens who know a lot more than me have pointed out in past posts (You may care to do a search for the info,) the anchor needs to be rigged to trip so it pulls out and not digs in.
I was nervous too the first couple of times but like all thing new when first tried, you soon get the hang of it.
All the info you need is on the forum. Use the search facilty to help yourself. You will find the answer to most of your questions

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
its not 6-8 and a sudden jerk you feed the power on gently when you know the anchor is lifting and not snagged increase the revs and up she comes this is how I do it 1) spot where your bhouy is before starting off 2) pull away gently while watching the bhouy travel down the warp you need to start off at a fairly steep angle 30-45% you will feel the anchor pop up increase your speed and keep going untill you see the bhouy pull down in the water the anchor and chain is now up cut the drive to your prop turn across the tide before doing so and it comes in as light as a feather as i said earlier it is a safe way of doing it but it needs practice and as chrisp said carry a serrated knife

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi does this method work with all size boats and anchors or is it better on smaller boats less than 15ft better to hand haul with a lazy line as they have lighter anchors cheers andy

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
It works with all size boats as long as the buoy is big enough and you can get up to 6-8 knots. I even read of someone thinking of doing it on a Yak but am not sure they could get up the speed required.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Attempting to raise an anchor aboard a small angling boat by attempting to 'drive' it out, using a Lazy Line, Alderney Ring or whatever, is potentially the most dangerous manoeuvre you can perform aboard a small boat. Get it wrong, and the result is the rapid sinking of your boat; as happens every year at locations around the country.

Certainly this is NOT a technique you can learn reading a book, magazine or forum. If you are intending to try this, I respectfully suggest you ask the advice of someone who is experienced, then be sure to practice under ideal conditions-shallow water, no tide or wind.

At the end of the day you are exerting a massive amount of load on a very small area of what in most cases is a piece of glorified plastic, which can have catastrophic results. The other major risk is the warp becoming tangled around the engine leg, resulting in the boat becoming anchored stern first into the tide, which in most cases will drag the transom under water in seconds.

Yes, its an easy way to retrieve an anchor, but as I think I have pointed out it requires more than a passing knowledge of boat handling skills to perform safely. Remember, this was a technique passed down from large commercial/charter type boats; not your average trailerable angling dinghy.

Hope I've not been too negative, but I've have seen the results on too many occasions.

All the best.

Dave

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I agree with Dave completely on this subject, I have never even attempted to put a description into print on how to do this but have offered and shown a lot of people how to do it on the water, to me that is the only safe way to learn the skill.

We have had the same discussion here many times and opinion varies if it is safe to be told rather than shown, no doubt we will have it again many times and that is good, however, nothing I have seen so far has convinced me otherwise but I remain open minded. The best description I have ever read on the technique is on Salar's site

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi if the alderney ring set up is dangerous .. so then is side recovery with a lazy line the best opion for a novice ( i have yet to get my first boat, but i am trying to learn and glean as much info before i comit ) as i do not want to go up to the bow to recover the anchor as i will be on my own, i have read and heard having a hatch is also NOT A GOOD IDEA SO FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD AND READ NO METHOD SEEMS WITH OUT ITS DANGERS HAND FAULTS ,is this right or am i way off the mark cheers andy

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
All have their pitfalls, Alderney ring........rope in the water and propeller turning, Lazy line and side recovery............puts you side on to the current which can make it very heavy if not impossible to haul without a second person to work the engine and helm to keep you into the tide, Front hatch............You have a big open hole at the front of the boat, your weight is all forward and you are pulling down on th rope, potential to get a wave into the hatch.

All that negative comment is not meant to scare you, just to educate. What you need is to be shown on your own boat by someone with experience, then it all falls into place, the danger is still there but you have the experience that way to minimise it and know what to do if it starts to go wrong.

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi yes i take your points its not having the hands on experiance yet, but when i put to sea hopefully very shortly now , i will have some idea as to what to do now,incidently would there be a suitable anchor that is easier to use and safe for a novice as some pattens ive seen seems there are more suitable for the tate modern than holding your boat

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It is important to pick the correct anchor for the seabed you are working on and not how easy it is to handle.
For most situations the Bruce or one of the many look-a-likes work well in most situations or the old fashion fshing boat anchor holds well again in most situations but is a bit more fiddly to set up for use and being able to trip if needed.

Dave
:)

G

·
I use a Bruce type anchor which is probably the best all round pattern for the south coast. They are also relatively cheap, I got mine on ebay for £22.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
gs425e,
No matter how much you read about boats, anchors, lazy lines ect you won`t have a clue until you do it or are shown.
Theory is all well and good but putting it in to practice is a world apart.
I see you are in Sussex, if you not far from Brighton then get in touch and i`ll take you out for a bit of instruction (weather permiting) or at least `show you the ropes`,so to speak. My boat is in the Marina.

Being at sea on your own in a small boat is not somthing to take lightly,for a start it will be bouncing and rolling about (unless it`s the odd day when calm) and messing about with anchors, Alderney bouys, lazy lines ect can be a recipe for disaster if you have the rope in one hand and the instruction book in the other.

Alan

PS Terry,
Just had a look and Sea Mistress is safe and well.

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi many thanks for the offer , i would be glad to take you up on the offer in the near future,as i live in brighton,when i say im a novice thats only so far as not owning one,but i do fish from my mates landor 17,a now he has aquired a pilot 17, and have fished from boats etc for a quite a long time, i want to get my own vessel, as i have said before time is passing, so i have had some hands on experience but not as they say on my own, inciently were off tommorrow if the wather dont blow up,as there seems to be a fair few plaice around now, many thanks andy

G

·
gs425e,
No matter how much you read about boats, anchors, lazy lines ect you won`t have a clue until you do it or are shown.
Theory is all well and good but putting it in to practice is a world apart.
I see you are in Sussex, if you not far from Brighton then get in touch and i`ll take you out for a bit of instruction (weather permiting) or at least `show you the ropes`,so to speak. My boat is in the Marina.

Being at sea on your own in a small boat is not somthing to take lightly,for a start it will be bouncing and rolling about (unless it`s the odd day when calm) and messing about with anchors, Alderney bouys, lazy lines ect can be a recipe for disaster if you have the rope in one hand and the instruction book in the other.

Alan

PS Terry,
Just had a look and Sea Mistress is safe and well.
Cheers Alan, I miss having her around more than the wife, at least my 'Mistress' does not sulk when I wont buy her a new handbag:) . I'll be glad to get her back next week.

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hi can i make a practice anchor ,a concrete block for example,to practice the alderney ring method cheers andy

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Forget the concrete block :wallbash:
I`ll show you.:doh:

Sending you a pm with my contact details.

Alan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts