World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
I like those a lot! :)

Can't see them taking off in a big way for beach fishing in a strong tide but for rotten bottom close in fishing it would be OK.

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
pretty good i guess, nice idea, any ides on how much dry sand to use to get a 5oz wieght when wet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been trying to figure out how to figure out the weight and so far this is my best idea, but it requires a scale.

1. Put a container of water on the scale and either "zero" it or mark down the weight.

2. Add sand a bit at a time until the scale reads the oz you want.

3. Carefully drain off water and leave the container in the sun to dry the sand.

4. Measure the amount of sand. Let's say it's 1/4 cup. Just put that much sand into each sinker you make and you'll have the correct weight.

Maybe you don't even have to use water on the scale? I'm no whiz at physics. Maybe just weigh the sand?

Sandsinkers are not good for surf fishing because they don't cast quite as far and sometimes that extra 20 ft. is exactly what I need to reach the fish.

However, for jetty fishing they are excellent because they don't get stuck on the rocks as much. They somehow wiggle through the cracks and often they just go over the rocks on an incoming wave. I fish for summer flounder and porgies from jetty here in New Jersey and the sandsinkers help a lot.

Perkons :ahhh::ahhh:

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
I'm puzzling now on how to turn them into grip leads..they don't need to be all that aerodynamic...I only want them to go 80 yards..and then snag when they hit bottom..bamboo spikes maybe......

How about lollipop sticks - wet them in hot water and you can mould them, leave dry so it holds it's moulded shape, finally lassoing to sand bag.

Just an idea LOL!!!

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Like it...but too much effort?? ...four bamboo spikes whipped around the lower end of the weight would splay out and work perfectly....imvho...

LOL - too much effort???:lmao::lmao: It's a hell of an effort to correctly weigh, say 5oz's of sand everytime before leaving it dry to finally pour into a bag LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!:roll1::roll1:

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
I've been trying to figure out how to figure out the weight and so far this is my best idea, but it requires a scale.

1. Put a container of water on the scale and either "zero" it or mark down the weight.

2. Add sand a bit at a time until the scale reads the oz you want.

3. Carefully drain off water and leave the container in the sun to dry the sand.

4. Measure the amount of sand. That's it.

Sandsinkers are not good for surf fishing because they don't cast quite as far and sometimes that extra 20 ft. is exactly what I need to reach the fish.

However, for jetty fishing they are excellent because they don't get stuck on the rocks as much. They somehow wiggle through the cracks and often they just go over the rocks on an incoming wave. I fish for summer flounder and porgies from jetty here in New Jersey and the sandsinkers help a lot.

Perkons :ahhh::ahhh:
Take 100 ounces of dry sand.
Take wet cloth and tare on scales
Put sand in cloth, stick cloth in bucket of water
Reweigh.
Divide the new weight by the old weight to get a factor (say 200ounces by 100 ounces = 2). Use factor to make any weight sand bag you want. So in example 5 oz weight requires 2.5 oz of dry sand.

Make sure you get the sand from the same beach and could add in a small adjustment factor for the weight of the cloth used in the weight.

Oh you could probably get away with standardising on less than 100 ozs ;)

Nice idea, good for wrassing.

G

·
I think the water is irrelevant....... Ok, a handful of wet sand weighs more. But once in the sea, the water absorbed by the sand will be the same as the rest of the sea water, so will be weightless.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The casting weight once its wet will be alot more.
We borrowed a boat to go fishing in Ireland many years ago and the owners supplied concrete blocks to use as an anchor they were fine to pick up and lob in when dry but an absolute nightmare to get back into the boat once they had soaked up loads of water! as you say we did not notice any difference in the weight while they were submersed just when we tried to lift them out of the water.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you are not into sewing I suppose you could use tube gauze the first aid stuff for fingers ?

from what I recall you can get it in different diameters

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well if anyone wants to make me 50 and post them to me ill try them out
If you've got some old shirts around to be thrown out, just cut off the long bit that hold the buttons and buttonholes. They should be long hollow tubes. Cut to size, tie of each one on bottom, fill with sand, tie off top, VOILA!

Something to do while watching telly?

:fish::roll1::fish::roll1::fish::roll1:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The idea is to MEASURE the sand after it has dried. Say: 1/4 cup or 1/2 cut or whatever. Then just use that amount.

I must admit that this "exact oz" business baffles me. I just make a bunch of sandsinkers of all different sizes and styles and choose one that seems to be the right size for the situation.

Then I dip it into water just before casting and cast over the rocks.

One interesting thing I have found is that lead sinkers have an advantage when casting INTO THE WIND but sandsinkers have an advantage when casting WITH THE WIND. Like kites they use the wind to go further. Sometimes the other folks on the jetty have been amazed at how far my kite-sandsinker goes with the wind. One guy said "How did you do that?"

:fish::fish::fish:

Perkons

This year: Summer flounder (fluke), porgies, bergal, bluefish, and a gazillion *#(@*%$& sea robins.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I wonder if you could use Bicycle inner tubes ??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts