World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry guys i know this isnt the right place to put a question like this but u guys are te only guys that ever reply....sorry......

i want to make my own leads and have a LOT of lead to melt.....what equipment such as blow torches and stuff like that is hot enough to melt lead as it has a rather high melting point.....any help with a certain flame or something that would melt lead would much appreciated.....big time!! thanks guys :help::help::help:

·
Registered
77 Posts
i used to use a old bean tin and warm it up on the cooker and make a spout and use a pair of pleirs to pour or use a old sauce pan and do the same works for me even better if you have a coal fire stick the sauce pan in there

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Dan, I need to make a few and have all the kit and use of a garage to make them. If you can get your dad to drop you off in waterston one day I will let you use my kit, but you can supply your own lead and petrol

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
go to your nearest plumbing supplies center and get your self a blow torch the lead will melt within seconds,put your lead in to an old sauce pan and then pour it into your mould,dont do it in the house for saftey reasons also try and get some protective hand cream and drink milk a pint of it as this keeps the lead fumes to a min hope this helps tight lines nudge 08

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Dan, I need to make a few and have all the kit and use of a garage to make them. If you can get your dad to drop you off in waterston one day I will let you use my kit, but you can supply your own lead and petrol
WARRAN YOU ARE STILL A LIVE THEN MATE NICE TO SEE YOU PUT A REPORT UP LOL SEE YOU SOON GAVE ME A BELL TIGHT LINES

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
we do it more or less the same as in the threadlink Wooky posted!

A nice gas burner (one we use was given to us and its the type used for melting pitch when tarmacking)

Have used the same little bottle of red propane gas for about 2 years fairplay its lasting well!

i would say better to use a biggish pot and a ladle.....if you dropped the ladle your only spilling a bit of lead but if you dropped a saucepan full of lead could be very dangerous

Wear a mask.......times when i've forgot had a massive headache afterwards and good thick gloves

What moulds you gonna use???

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bloody hell guys loads of replies that is well helpfull i got moreor less exactly wat i need now 2 make my own....tbh i want to save money more than anything...thanks a lot guys :fishing::fishing::thumbs::thumbs::clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
by the way guys wen u use a blow torch do u blow the flame direct onto the lead or underneath on the pot???? and thanks waren i got kilos of lead from my grandad so no probs....ta man

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hello there
I now use a gas burner but as kids we always done them using a bean can in a fire in the garden

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
bloody hell guys loads of replies that is well helpfull i got moreor less exactly wat i need now 2 make my own....tbh i want to save money more than anything...thanks a lot guys :fishing::fishing::thumbs::thumbs::clap2::clap2:
you can buy a cheap camping stove for the same price as 15 leads these days .[melt away lol]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just a point, if you want to make your own weights and dont have any lead.
If you have any mates that are into metal detecting ask them for their lead.

I used to do a lot of metal detecting and have about 50Lb of lead in a box in my garage that Im going to make weights with when I get time

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bean tins are dodgey, watch out for bakerlight handles on saucepans they tend to crumble after lots of high temps.
I use a pipe that a base plate been welded to the bottom, and melt down on a gas cooker, more sturdy on a cooker, leave window and doors open, and use a thick piece of plywood on the work top for the moulds, best done when the wife is out though.
Best of luck, take care!

·
Registered
3 Posts
dont listen to harpo the blanker hes of his head and gout is least of his worries..hes got a d h t. mad cow al rolled into one lol :2:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If you can find a stockist, try and get some 18swg stainless tying wire.

This is much softer than the hard stainless wire you get in the tackle shops, is easier to make loops out of and is excellent for grip leads. The wire will easily bend out of snags.

You can get this wire from suppliers of steel reinforcing rods for the construction trade. I picked a kilo coil for about a tenner from a supplier near Poole. That's over 100yds, enough to last me for years.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts