World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks-am lucky enough to be working on an old derelict building at the moment so a fire in an old oil drum is a must. Having gutted out most of the building i noticed a lot of lead from the roof,toilets etc so decided to have a go at leadmaking.
I have had an ajustimould 3-9oz for ages but never got around to having a bash. Anyway i set myself up with the crudest of beancans along with some wire for dangling the can in the fire + heating mould up.
Already had some shop bought loops + a small metal clamp,pliers etc so away i went.
GREAT FUN!!! made about 30+ weights ranging from 3-6oz and amazed my work mates at the same time. Only problem i had was the loop moving and lying at an angle to the lead, so got myself a wooden clothes peg and held it in place while pouring.
That done the trick and most of the weights were a success, was wondering if there is an easier way though that cuts out fiddling about with a clothes peg while wearing gloves. Any other tips on leadmaking would be appreciated from the oldhands at this art.

By the way i did manage to get some work done in case you all thought i was a lazy sod. lol.
CHEERS KC.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Always wear the gloves, heat resistant ones, and also wear a face visor or at least a pair of safety goggles. Use strong metal clamp to hold mould tightly, and ensure wires have ends bent so that they cannot pull free especially during a cast. Do not let the lead get too hot ( turning blue ) Make absolutely certain that water is not trapped in old pipework. It can be fun, but you cannot be too safe when working with lead. Get a strong melting pot for the lead and use a good ladle to distribute it to the mould, not one with the bowl riveted to the handle.

·
Registered
24,909 Posts
Findus ,

Try open the wire loop a little and then close the mould on it ...should trap the loop better..

Seeing as its and Adjusti why not get a welder to make up some cheeks and fit the mould to pliers with small steel nuts and bolts. It makes a heck of a difference and is very very quick to mould your weights.

David

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Never released that if the lead was too hot it went blue dab, I thought I had just got a dodgy batch from a mate.
Neal
The SKink

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Aye I've got a proper gas ring set up, but got to control the heat otherwise it gets far too hot. The surface takes on a blue tinge. Also if you use lead from tyre balances, it is not the type you require for weights, it turns a rather whitish colour, and the weights as well as being lighter than with roofing lead are also very brittle.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys- some good tips there, and nice touch with the safety aspect of it all.
Never thought about the loop widening idea, doh!!! stupid me...

Did notice today that one of the pours was on the blue side, take it you pour as soon as melted.
Might be tempted to get all the proper gear as i have access to new and old lead at work. Also get through lots of leads at marks such as Fifeness etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts