World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've been trying to increase the speed of the lead on the back swing but keep decking the lead everytime.
Anyone know how to solve this problem please ?

Thanks in advance

( Wayne can we please keep this on topic than you kind sir ;) )
ya most probably dipping ya shoulder tryn too power in too early,in which ploughing the lead in too the ground,

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Depends how much you have sped it up matey but sounds like you have dne what i did sped the swing up so you think you have to rush round to keep up with it. copping and lewis have fast swing bt still with controll and late hit most use a slow swing and it allowes you time wait 4 the led t get round (outside the tip) before powering in :wiggle:

·
Banned
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends how much you have sped it up matey but sounds like you have dne what i did sped the swing up so you think you have to rush round to keep up with it. copping and lewis have fast swing bt still with controll and late hit most use a slow swing and it allowes you time wait 4 the led t get round (outside the tip) before powering in :wiggle:

Hello mate no not really as I've increased the lead speed and still waiting but once I turn and start the hit I'm decking the ground, then it all goes Peter tong mate.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Could be anything - dipping your shoulder, sinker in the wrong place, too long a drop etc

Though I think you need to be clear at which point you are decking it - as it's almost impossible to it the deck on the back swing unless you drop your rod (backswing - as the sinker retruns towards the caster from the out swing ?)

Do you have any video ?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If you pivot the rod on your high hand (right if you are right handed), then do all the work with your lower (leasing hand).

Are you a high swing or flat arc caster ?

·
Banned
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you pivot the rod on your high hand (right if you are right handed), then do all the work with your lower (leasing hand).

Are you a high swing or flat arc caster ?

Hello led in not to sure what my cast is tbh maybe someone who has seen me cast will be able to say.

If I use my right arm to balance the rod and let my left hand do the work I can't get the speed of the lead that I want. ( cast reel down ) the only way I can increase the speed is to bend right arm and pull back slightly, as lead passes my body I wait then turn and hit the deck.
I did ask mark a while ago on here how to increase the lead speed and basicy mark said u just gotta work that out for yourself, which I have but now decking the lead. If I am dropping my shoulder is there a way that I can over come this to stop decking the lead ? As it happens every single time when I increase the speed.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
With practice it's possible to increase the sinker speed and keep the right hand in the same position.

By pulling your hand/arm back you are moving the pivot point of the rod which then changes the path of the sinker.

Watch any video of Steve Lewis (high swing) or Peter Thain (flat arc) and you will notice that they kept the high hand position in the same place.

It sounds like you need to work on using your lower hand, pulling or pushing to provide the required energy into the sinker (in or out swing) spend some time in your garden or park and practice in getting the sinker to hit an object (but keep it under control).

·
Banned
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know what u mean about keeping tbe right arm out and straight led but still can't work out how steve gets the speed of the lead on in swing. If I keep right arm out straight I can't increase lead speed no matter how hard I try it what I do mate. That's why I thought if I bend tbe arm that will increase the lead speed which it has done. I'm happy at the speed I got the lead comming back and passing me, but now got another problem cause I deck it

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If you keep the right arm straight you use the left hand to move the sinker.

As you raise the lower had it lowers the rod tip and when you push down it raises the tip.

With the above in mind, as the sinker is on the out swing the left hand will be raised, to increase the sinker speed push down with the lower hand this will give the sinker added speed.

Sinker control is paramount to making a cast work, position, speed etc require practice. You need to be able to place the sinker where you want at the sped you want - moving that upper hand adds another variable which you don't need. Many casters try and short cut the learning curve and then struggle.

Just getting the OTG correct for some can be a nightmare, keeping the drop length the same, sinker position the same, hand & arm position the same and executing the same cast has a number of variables, but they have been minimised. By adding a moving sinker that cannot be controlled has increased those variables by about 5000% not good odds.

The stiffer the rod the more difficult it is to control the sinker, that control will take time not minutes.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Increased inswing speed requires a fixed right arm - any drifting back will kill the lead, keeping it inside the tip, so when you turn into the cast it will just nose dive into the deck....

It also requires a well timed lock-out of the left arm - as the lead is dropping from its highest point on the outswing it comes back towards you... experience will tell you when to push down and out with the left arm. This movement generates the speed.

The position the lead is in when you lock-out the left arm is often referred to as 'the pick up point'.

This video gives a decent view...
http://youtu.be/-VkVXGPHe9s

But sometimes it does go tits up...
http://youtu.be/u9RG0bq2utQ :g:

All of this requires practise. I quite often spend time just getting this bit right with out actually casting.

A few years ago Andy Copping told me how important it is to get the start of the cast correct. He was spot on (as usual). Many people think casting is all about 'the hit' - but if the lead is in the wrong position its all for nought :)

Watch videos of Peter Thain, Andy Copping, and Alessio Massa. That's all i did :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Increased inswing speed requires a fixed right arm - any drifting back will kill the lead, keeping it inside the tip, so when you turn into the cast it will just nose dive into the deck....

It also requires a well timed lock-out of the left arm - as the lead is dropping from its highest point on the outswing it comes back towards you... experience will tell you when to push down and out with the left arm. This movement generates the speed.

The position the lead is in when you lock-out the left arm is often referred to as 'the pick up point'.

But sometimes it does go tits up... RC

All of this requires practise. I quite often spend time just getting this bit right with out actually casting.

A few years ago Andy Copping told me how important it is to get the start of the cast correct. He was spot on (as usual). Many people think casting is all about 'the hit' - but if the lead is in the wrong position its all for nought :)

Watch videos of Peter Thain, Andy Copping, and Alessio Massa. That's all i did :thumbs:
Good answer Wingnut, oops,i mean Monster, oops, i mean Steve :)

·
Registered
381 Posts

Great Reply man.

As is with many things in life you have to understand why to do things to understand why it works.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think we need berts advice on this ,especially the lead speed bit ,
Do you mean, perchance, Bert ' The Squirly-Meister General of Cardinham Down' who is oft revered for his high speed, lead squirling antics? ( And his tame companion, Majora, a semi-retired, 1970's merkin-clad Fifi he rescued from barbed wire outside Channing's Wood ) :nonono:

·
Registered
248 Posts

I love watching the video's :clap3: Only thing is i have to reverse every thing as im a kacky handed :crazy:(left hand up right hand at but):thumbs:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.