World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Leader knot for an idiot!

10K views 79 replies 20 participants last post by  jim mcquarrie 
#1 ·
OK, so I’ve searched the forum, watched the YouTube videos and purchased a book from Amazon.
I am sat in the living room with a spool of mono main line and a spool of shock leader and a pair of snips and I have arrived at the conclusion that I am totally cr@p at tying knots of any kind.
Please can anyone recommend a simple, strong and effective knot for joining mono main to shock leader?
Does such a knot exist?
TIA.
Paul.

#6 ·
i like the yucatan it’s simple to do and easy when my hands are freezing
mind you i normally tie a mono/fluoro leader to braid but i’m sure it will be just as good on mono to mono.’
for me the easiest knot is a uni-uni but start of easy.
some people don’t put enough effort in to knots yet it’s an integral part of fishing especially if your going heavy,
your not wanting an 8oz lead bouncing of your napper.
Your doing the right thing just sit & practice.
The easiest for mono to swivel is the blood knot
Good Lick with your journey
keep us updated how your getting on

#8 ·
Thanks again Mike for the further advice and encouragement.

Thanks Jack, another one to try.
Another knot tying attempt session this evening.

The book and videos I’ve looked at all seem fairly straightforward, I just don’t seem to have the dexterity and co-ordination in my fingers.
Hopefully this will improve with practice?

#9 ·
Thanks again Mike for the further advice and encouragement.

Thanks Jack, another one to try.
Another knot tying attempt session this evening.

The book and videos I’ve looked at all seem fairly straightforward, I just don’t seem to have the dexterity and co-ordination in my fingers.
Hopefully this will improve with practice?
Don,t forget to wet all knots before you pull tight , a bit of saliva does the trick.

#16 ·
Uni is ok if lines are around similar dia but .3-5 ish to .70-80 odd isn't good as builds a huge knot which makes prone to ring wraps etc.
Most do an overhand in leader thread main line through hole then tye a 5 turn plus Grinner/uni knot nip overhand up then as wetting grinner snug it up and pull towards overhand then when happy try to pull them apart! that gives a reasonable knot profile
All my Reels use Braid leaders 80ln odd for FS and 100lb for multi's use same knot gives a nice small knot that flies through rings(without knocking liners out!) 4 strand Choogie braid (Ebay) is tough as ole boots and still pretty cheap "1000 yard spools"

#17 ·
Thanks Tournamag, interesting info I’ve never heard of using a braid leader.
Part of the difficulty for me is the bulk of the leader (.70mm) to main line (.35mm).
Couldn’t find the brand you mentioned on eBay but found an alternative 100lb 4 strand, as you say, not too expensive.
I was wondering if a tapered mono leader would help?
Maybe a more expensive way of achieving the same result??

#18 ·
#20 · (Edited)
If you use braid on one side of a uni try 13 wraps with the braid, 4-5 on the mono will be fine. Also I will join lines of any size with this knot even if one side is bulky they still hold fine. I only use a uni to uni if Im in a hurry to get a line back in the water otherwise I use a pr knot which involves using a bobbin and patience to perfect.

I tried 150lb Daiwa saltiga braid as a leader on three different beach rods, even bought cannon releases from the UK to use with the three rods. Each rod had a different action but without fail all ended up with wraps either around the tip or one of the guides close to the tip, it simply didn't work for me at all so went back to braid to mono with a pr knot and no issues at all.

Those knots you have done above look excellent.

#26 ·
Back in the days we were still using mono as main line, we found that a simple 5 turn uni-knot tied in the thinner mainline, and then a fairly small Figure 8 tied in the leader used to work very well. The reasons are not highly important, but what we did find is that this gave one of the least bulky knots for this specific junction, and as such caused least problems with the interface with guides during casting. The thinner line Uni-knot acting like a ramp to the guides, to ease the bulkier Figure 8 in the leader over the edges of the guides. We used this knot for mainlines from 0.35 up to 0.55mm, and leader lines from 0.7 up to 1.0mm without any problems.

Subsequently we switched over to braid mainlines and then combined with braid leaders. For these joins, and because braids are more slippery within a knot situation, we used back to back 8 turn Uni-knots. This covers a multitude of line sizes from 25-50lb mainlines to 50-200lb braid leaders. Obviously we are using fixed spool reels for the braid applications in our surf rods, and find very few issues with the braid to braid situation. Earlier experiments with mono leaders did see a few issues, but they were largely due to the bulk of the mono/braid knot hitting guide edges, the much smaller braid/braid situation gives a significantly smaller knot, and less issues with guide wraps during casting.

In both the above situations, the ease of tying them in a cold, windy and wet situation on the beach does present any problems, and basically comes down to only having to perfect your skills at tying 2 knots - least to learn, least to fail.

Hope that helps.

#30 ·
Thanks Jackjock, planning to get back into pendulum casting like I used to 30+ years ago (fixed spool reel, I got fairly good compared to my fishing mates).
Going with a multiplier reel this time around, don’t think I can use braid on this??

Thanks for the encouragement Trampster, much appreciated.

#34 ·
like I used to 30+ years ago (fixed spool reel,
30 years takes its toll , not trying be funny but at your age speaking from some one who,s older than you i would go with a fixed spool reel and a full braid set ,25mm main line and a 80lb braid shock leader. This is one of my rods with a fixed spool reel , not saying put the reel at the bottom just to give you a idea.
Cloud Sky Water Fishing rod Horizon

#39 ·
Its funny as its the more expensive high end rods that I have with the fuji k guides are what some are claiming to be the wrong way around!!!!! What those who are claiming to be wrong also don't seem to pay attention in the fact braid wraps around the top or last couple of guides and not the so called upside down guide.

Whats also funny is how Bronzai seems to change his tune like the wind. One minute my guides are upside down then its how they build them in his part of the world, in fact I seem to remember one of his most recent builds posted on here was the same as my upside down first guide!!!! Can someone please explain why rod manufacture put the...

Have a look at this video to get some understanding why those guides are upside down.

#40 ·
Its funny as its the more expensive high end rods that I have with the fuji k guides are what some are claiming to be the wrong way around!!!!! What those who are claiming to be wrong also don't seem to pay attention in the fact braid wraps around the top or last couple of guides and not the so called upside down guide.

Whats also funny is how Bronzai seems to change his tune like the wind. One minute my guides are upside down then its how they build them in his part of the world, in fact I seem to remember one of his most recent builds posted on here was the same as my upside down first guide!!!! Can someone please explain why rod manufacture put the...

Have a look at this video to get some understanding why those guides are upside down.

That's the trouble with those living south of Dover there brains go all skitzie

#41 ·
Thanks again Jackjock.
Have already committed to the multiplier route as they have always intrigued me and I am determined to learn.
I lodge away for work and have made myself a (hockey) practice ball to use at the nearest field/playing field.
Fingers crossed, expecting a few ‘birds nests’ along the way.

John.s forgive my ignorance, is a grinner the same as a uni?

Thanks Colin I am actually leaning towards a tapered leader with uni’s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.