World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Newbie, got a Bushwhacker 8’ currently using 15lb mono but want to have a go at using braid to see if I can get on ok with it. What length leader should I be using? I see lots of conflicting info online ranging from 2ft to 2 times rod length. Is there a general rule of thumb you guys use or is it more down to personal preference or type of fishing? I’m going to be spinning for Pollock, Mackerel etc using 1-2oz lures. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I use about 6ft on that sort of outfit for soft plastics. I would never recommend you go more than the length of your rod in most light lure casting situations as you are going to risk all sorts of complications...

I also regularly use 8lb mono on that sort of outfit for surface lures and prefer it to braid for hardbaits. You might find that it is a useful alternative mid way between your existing mono and expensive braid before you splash out.

In contrast my leaders to braid on pollack/bass deep water multiplier set ups (to use in 100-150ft plus) are 20ft long...but there is no casting involved....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got some 35lb Spiderwire put it on my reel (leader as per your suggestion & used an Albright knot) had a go this evening and loved it. Bite detection was really clear and could feel everything. Caught a few Whiting and this beast, it was not happy about being pulled out!
41992941-54C3-4365-B696-1701E1556C5F.jpeg

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
What lure did you catch that on:barefoot:
Got some 35lb Spiderwire put it on my reel (leader as per your suggestion & used an Albright knot) had a go this evening and loved it. Bite detection was really clear and could feel everything. Caught a few Whiting and this beast, it was not happy about being pulled out! View attachment 1071478

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ended up getting some feathers at the end of the session, cut the tinsel off so it just left the hooks and put Mackerel strips on them. Dropped the line in about 5ft in front of my feet and waited 5 min!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
You only want the mono leader to be about 2ft for lure fishing. I make mine short enough so the knot sits on the drop (not up the rod) when casting so it doesn't have to go through the rings, which can weaken it. It's only to provide a bit of abrasion resistance and to help stop the hooks from tangling on the cast into wind. Plenty of people don't even bother with a leader.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts