World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you consider to be the strongest but smallest leader knot ? I always seem to pick up loads of weed on my leader knot. Its just a basic leader knot 20lb main line 60lb leader mono.

·
Banned
5,324 Posts
No rich the Bimini twist is your main line. Over hand knot pass mainline threw knot pull tight then tie the Bimini. It's easy once someone shows u

Was hoping to be out weekend and casting Sunday but the rate things are going I doubt il be doing both. Expect il end up in hospital before the week is out. Knee blowing up again with fluid :(

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
try a spyder hitch / figure of eight knot with your main line . this is still a strong knot< not as strong as the bimini> then use the no knot onto the loop . the bimini is fantstic but you line can break anywhere on your main line. so if you are fishing where there is the possiblity of snags you could end up filling your swim with line and having to respool alot . you must tie the spyder hitch properly or its a weak knot . :thumbs: its also smaller than the bimini

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I use the blob knot and have done for years . Just blob the shockleader until you get a nice one that you like [ little round ball ] . Then tye a six turn grinner knot on the leader with your main line lick it and slide it up to the blob and trim tag . The grinner is made by laying a foot of line across the leader about 6ins up from the blob and wind it around 6 times and bring it back to your left four finger and thumb forming a loop . You now wind it through the loop 6 times and then lubricate before pulling tag end to tighten down on shockleader line but not completely , this allows you to slide the grinner up to the blob and bounce it a few times . This knot is extremely reliable and also the most stream lined . If it does go when your pulling for a brake you will only lose the leader and not 150 yds of mainline .
Its important to control where your line brakes .
:fish::fishing:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I use the blob knot and have done for years . Just blob the shockleader until you get a nice one that you like [ little round ball ] . Then tye a six turn grinner knot on the leader with your main line lick it and slide it up to the blob and trim tag . The grinner is made by laying a foot of line across the leader about 6ins up from the blob and wind it around 6 times and bring it back to your left four finger and thumb forming a loop . You now wind it through the loop 6 times and then lubricate before pulling tag end to tighten down on shockleader line but not completely , this allows you to slide the grinner up to the blob and bounce it a few times . This not is extremely reliable and also the most stream lined . If it does go when your pulling for a brake you will only lose the leader and not 150 yds of mainline .
Its important to control where your line brakes .
:fish::fishing:
same here -mr blobby 4 me

advantages in the real world

easy to tie with freezing fingers
comes pretty close to high-level knot strength
small and goes through rings easy

some say its only for use on casting court - but I never have any problems

only down side is if its very windy and your not using a tilly lamp - then it can be difficult lighting a match or lighter - and if like me you are not a smoker you have to carry a means of melting the line to a blob - and sometimes I forget where I put the lighter

so sometimes I use a half hitch instead of blob

al

1 - 11 of 11 Posts