World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Last December I bought a Warrior 175 and have spent the past year learning the ropes off the South Coast. I launch out of Northney Marina (boat is on a trailer that I tow down from Surrey) and then head out to fish in the East Solent.

I have had a couple of good days, but still exploring - I have a few a questions which I hope can be answered...

1) I have fished out by Boulder Bank - but I can see across the channel there is a big patch of disturbed water even in calm conditions, which I would think indicates shallow water and banks - is it safe to go across there in a boat my size - obviously I wouldn't go through broken water or anything silly like that.

2) NAB Tower - up to what sort of conditions is it safe / comfortable to get out to the NAB tower - I think it is about 8 miles from Chichester harbour mouth. I have a navionics shade relief sounder - any tips on what type of ocean floor to look for out there, and which side is the best for a first effort

3) What is the best wind direction to fish the south coast, and what direction will be uncomfortable - I could guess and say anything from the South will be lumpy and the North will be protected from the land - is this correct?

Any other tips from you seasoned professionals would be greatly received!

Many thanks

· Registered
966 Posts
Hi Guys,

Last December I bought a Warrior 175 and have spent the past year learning the ropes off the South Coast. I launch out of Northney Marina (boat is on a trailer that I tow down from Surrey) and then head out to fish in the East Solent.

I have had a couple of good days, but still exploring - I have a few a questions which I hope can be answered...

1) I have fished out by Boulder Bank - but I can see across the channel there is a big patch of disturbed water even in calm conditions, which I would think indicates shallow water and banks - is it safe to go across there in a boat my size - obviously I wouldn't go through broken water or anything silly like that.

2) NAB Tower - up to what sort of conditions is it safe / comfortable to get out to the NAB tower - I think it is about 8 miles from Chichester harbour mouth. I have a navionics shade relief sounder - any tips on what type of ocean floor to look for out there, and which side is the best for a first effort

3) What is the best wind direction to fish the south coast, and what direction will be uncomfortable - I could guess and say anything from the South will be lumpy and the North will be protected from the land - is this correct?

Any other tips from you seasoned professionals would be greatly received!

Many thanks
Perfectly safe to cross Boulder at anything other than a spring low water in terms of depth. I usually either went round the end or through the Looe Gate, which on its day can get a bit snotty. Some days a SW blow can put up a big swell around Boulder but be pretty calm just a mile or so inshore. If you are getting chucked around out there, try going in onto Brake Ledge. Bream fishing in there can be every bit as good as Boulder with the added bonus of all manner of extra species including hounds, tope and undulates. PM me if you need extra details.
Nab is far enough offshore to lose any major protection from the land, so you are looking for your own comfort at f3-4 maximum, even less if it will be against a big tide. Tide runs east on the flood, west on the ebb. Tide strength is an issue too, anything above 4m I used to avoid going offshore (Warrior 165). Around Nab itself can be OK for whiting in winter but push past the Nab and you'll see on the chart a series of depressions and channels, known generally as the Tabletops, or sometimes the Fingers. This is cod territory in winter, not sure of the actual make-up but much of the ground out there seems to be gravel. Don't discount Culver either, the white chalk reef pushes well out and can hold cod.
Wind direction isn't totally simplistic. If you only intend to be out on the flood, say, then you could tolerate quite a big westerly as it'll be on the bows at anchor. Watch out then for coming home into the ebb and having to bash through wind over tide getting an early bath every few minutes. Likewise if you are inshore on the bream marks, a northerly will be blunted by the land, and over towards Selsey the Bill also takes the sting out of anything with a bit of east in it as well. Basically, suck it and see what your stomach can take. I guess you are familiar with the bar at Chichester by now but if anything takes you into Langstone (Hayling slip is/was a good launch point), don't run straight up the channel if it is mid-ebb and there is a southerly wind. You'll get very wet, and by the time you see the standing waves its too late to turn away. Just come in more from the east off Southsea to duck the main flow coming out of the harbour.
Steve

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfectly safe to cross Boulder at anything other than a spring low water in terms of depth. I usually either went round the end or through the Looe Gate, which on its day can get a bit snotty. Some days a SW blow can put up a big swell around Boulder but be pretty calm just a mile or so inshore. If you are getting chucked around out there, try going in onto Brake Ledge. Bream fishing in there can be every bit as good as Boulder with the added bonus of all manner of extra species including hounds, tope and undulates. PM me if you need extra details.
Nab is far enough offshore to lose any major protection from the land, so you are looking for your own comfort at f3-4 maximum, even less if it will be against a big tide. Tide runs east on the flood, west on the ebb. Tide strength is an issue too, anything above 4m I used to avoid going offshore (Warrior 165). Around Nab itself can be OK for whiting in winter but push past the Nab and you'll see on the chart a series of depressions and channels, known generally as the Tabletops, or sometimes the Fingers. This is cod territory in winter, not sure of the actual make-up but much of the ground out there seems to be gravel. Don't discount Culver either, the white chalk reef pushes well out and can hold cod.
Wind direction isn't totally simplistic. If you only intend to be out on the flood, say, then you could tolerate quite a big westerly as it'll be on the bows at anchor. Watch out then for coming home into the ebb and having to bash through wind over tide getting an early bath every few minutes. Likewise if you are inshore on the bream marks, a northerly will be blunted by the land, and over towards Selsey the Bill also takes the sting out of anything with a bit of east in it as well. Basically, suck it and see what your stomach can take. I guess you are familiar with the bar at Chichester by now but if anything takes you into Langstone (Hayling slip is/was a good launch point), don't run straight up the channel if it is mid-ebb and there is a southerly wind. You'll get very wet, and by the time you see the standing waves its too late to turn away. Just come in more from the east off Southsea to duck the main flow coming out of the harbour.
Steve
Thanks Steve, what a great reply - I really appreciate the time you took to compose that. I will PM you for more info it that is ok. Top man.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts