World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a poly Monitor 2Bs, it has on the drag leaver a centeral position is this to set the reel for casting ?
I have a nice amount of friction on the clutch that helps control the spool quite well but i think i am loosing a little range yet if i back it off anymore full lock is not solid. it has not been wet and i am using 15w50 oil in the whick. How do i set the drag up for casting ? do i use gear oil to tame it untill i get more used to thumbing it down,and just knock the drag right back to cast. ? any help please on this reel. I am not looking for advice on other reels i should buy i have a few types now, i just want advice on this Policansky please.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I used to own one of those reels. The only sort of "casting" I would recommend is a gentle lob of a livebait when boat fishing in much warmer waters.

Put any effort into the cast and that rather heavy spool acts like a flywheel and you get overuns. Thick oil makes very little difference to casting this reel in my experience.

The lever drag is of very litttle use in controling the spool when casting. Far too variable to be sure how much drag you are applying. Best to aim for complete free spool and look for some other way to slow the spool down.

If you check the forum for information on "magging" reels I would think that might help. You can try gluing some of these tiny NEODYMIUM magnets in an end plate - with about 1mm clearance between the magnet and the spool end you might get some control of the reel for proper casting.

Check Ebay for these magnets. Various sizes so you should find some that will fit a gap somewhere on your reel. This item on Ebay140336107146 is just one size.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see what you say so its not for helping to control the spool, i have not had huge trouble with overuns with this reel, it is in fact quite forgiving. but i still get trouble in the dark and into the wind at times. but that is me not the reel.
Thanks for the replies, i do like the reel i used it and it is a joy to play a fish with its just geting the casting perfected, i think a half experienced multiplier user would have no trouble at all. On a more general note but still related to my policansky any hints on thumbing down the speed or is it just practice practice and more practice. how do i know when to stop it at night, is it sound or watch the spool ..WHAT? .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts