World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying an LED headlight following reading Mikes article on the left.
Has anyone any recommendations

Ta

Fred

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manx

On the model you have, do you have to have all 12 on. The one in the write up by Mike was talking about operating with 3 for dim light and only putting the full works on if you want a lot of light.

Fred

·
Registered
989 Posts
I agree Manx

A total bargain at 6 quid!
Considering the Speleo Nova comes in at about £240! Although in fairness it is a nice bit of kit.
I'd rather have £234 in my pocket though :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
Its all 12 or none at all Fred, which as I said, might not be appropriate if you are stalking bass in the dark (which I don't). It all depends on what you want it for.

I use mine on promenades/piers with it switched on all the time. It also doubles up as an emergency back up to a 'proper' headlamp on the rocks.

Being very small, it easily slips into the tackle bag without taking up valuable room reserved for flask and chocolate bars so I always carry it :D

There are better LEDs about (more expensive as ABM says, and multiple option as to 1/3/7 bulbs etc) but for £6 you can't go wrong. Even if you don't like it for fishing you will still find a use. I keep one in the car glove box.

PS - Welcome AlderneyBassMan. only 9 more posts until you are eligble for the monthly prize draw, and 99 until you become 'hardcore' :D

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
"The one in the write up by Mike was talking about operating with 3 for dim light and only putting the full works on if you want a lot of light."

That one sounds like the MFA..I have one and it's brilliant, price about £50.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flexibility Manx, but for bass I think I might need more than 1 but less than 7. Still at that price you can't go wrong with it as a good all round tool.

I,m going to have a good look tomorrow. I'll let you know how I got on.

Fred

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I've had various cheapos and they give up the ghost. However the MFA is great with both LEDs and Halogen beam. The basic lamp is about £25 with the re-chargeable battery pack making it up to £49.

I bought the basic one but it was appropriated by my mountaineering son who proclaims it lifesaving and VERY reliable, although he had to switch from 'Main beam' to 'foglight LEDs' when in a blizzard on Snowdon in the winter. In fact he had, at one particular time to strap it to his knee to see UNDER the snow storm!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Swelleyman

Does MFA stand for anything, or is that the brand name.

Fred

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Hi Fred, I have no idea what MFA stands for but I'm sure someone on here will know

·
Registered
989 Posts
Model Flight Accesories!
They are a radio controlled aircraft/hobby company.
Good light though, I've got the non LED one.
Sure I saw an advert for Lidl in the paper and they had a 1watt LED headlamp for about £20.
No Lidl here in Alderney though!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice one Alderney. Thanks

Fred

·
Registered
16 Posts
for the more tight beggers like myself, maplin do a combination led and Halogen for £7.99.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32435&TabID=1&source=14&doy=6m5

The led is just bright enough to utilise the reflective tip of my rod and more than adequate for bait/tangles/birdsnests. The Halogen will not light up the beach like a MFA but is adequate for my purposes. The only downside is the 4 D cell batteries, which last at least a dozen 4 - 6 hour trips out. I might buy rechargeables one day....

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Mplin one sounds fine my Bro in law bought one of the cheapies off E-bay it took ages to come and first time out it poured with rain and the thing went out you would have thought it would be waterproof and Swelley I thought you were mad but on top of snowdon in winter with a lamp strapped to his knee? I think your son takes the biscuit :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Fred,
went onto Maplin site after seeing link from simundo and they now(as of today) have one which might fit the bill better than the cheaper one mentioned. £14.99 will get you a head torch with 3 led's and one bright xenon bulb.Only prob is the xenon bulb is discontinued by maplins and I'm not sure if they are easily obtainable-this is the only reason I haven't ordered one myself yet ,
Jon

1 - 20 of 23 Posts