World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got myself a second beach caster rod and reel last week at my local car boot, i now have a leeda piranha and another leeda rod (forget the exact name) both 12ft rods, casting 3-5 ozs.

Just wondering if i can use these with a lure (20-30g), looking at going for bass, but as the lure is only going to be typically 1oz, will this cause me problems casting etc ??

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You'll have arms like a body builder afterwards.
I have a leeda NorthStar Power Surf 12' which I suspect is your second rod, I've used it for Mackerel bashing but only because I had nothing else at the time, was hard work though.

L

·
0 Posts
Almost certainly you will have problems casting such a low weight with a beach caster - additionally you'll need arms like popeye to hold and cast it all day! Lure rods tend to be light and whippy - they help ping the lure out and can be held for hours on end! You might get away with the odd cast or few but to get any distance you'll have to add weight to the rods stated casting range. You can pick ip a spinning rod for less then £40 and a reel for just a few quid! Try second hand stuff!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll have arms like a body builder afterwards.
I have a leeda NorthStar Power Surf 12' which I suspect is your second rod, I've used it for Mackerel bashing but only because I had nothing else at the time, was hard work though.
ah ok, what size rod would i ideally want, any recommendations on a cheapish one ??

is my normal fixed spool reel ok ??

edit: ok thanks guys will have a look at veals as well, hopefully get something sorted :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
guys just looked on veals and on page 21 of their catalouge is a Ron Thompson spin combo, 9ft spin rod + an okurma 40/140 reel (means nothing to me lol) for £27.99

will this be any good ?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'd say that's probably a little light for bass, have a look at the mustad viking bass plugging rod at 35, see if that can work with your present fixed spool.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Anything around 10-11ft casting up to 60gms is fine, if you aren't that bothered something cheap is fine. Veals is a bit more expensive but there stuff is generally up to the job.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got myself a Leeda quicksilver spinner from my local tackle shop for £27.99

Thought id start off with a cheap one and see how i get on with it. I do have an idea of getting a really decent one if i can get on with spinning to take over to the caribean with me at xmas when i go for 3 weeks.

that would **** off the the misses ha ha :boat:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts