World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having purchased the above mentioned rod and having a couple of practice casts with a 4oz lead. I thought right slap on a 6oz lead and bait and give it a go. Line checked and no jams/wraps in the rod eyes and give it a chuck (OTG - Off the ground).
What followed was a disaster...
SNAP my tip snapped which caused a massive birds nest and a burned thump in the process to stop the birds nest. The tip snapped at the splicing joint between the glass tip and blank about 4 rings down. This was a new rod and its first use!!!

Anyone else had this issue with these rods or brand, i know of one person that had this issue with the previous model of this rod

Dont know if i can post a pic on here, but if i can i will

Attachments

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That's the mk 3 , it has a Carbon tip, the Elite's have glass tips. I had problems with the Carbon tips on the FXD SuperSport Elites (3 piece Conti's), both mine snapped, seems the Carbon is brittle, although I've had the Elite Power models glassed tipped since they were released with no problems, hauling in Rays etc, find them very good rods.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is obviously an issue with these rods. Did you get them repaired under warantee? I will be sending mine back for a claim on guarantee

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I rung the retailer and explained, and returned the rods for a full refund, the retailer i got mine from has the best reputation amongst the UK tackle retailers, but you should not have a problem, but go to your retailer as the first port of call.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Having purchased the above mentioned rod and having a couple of practice casts with a 4oz lead. I thought right slap on a 6oz lead and bait and give it a go. Line checked and no jams/wraps in the rod eyes and give it a chuck (OTG - Off the ground).
What followed was a disaster...
SNAP my tip snapped which caused a massive birds nest and a burned thump in the process to stop the birds nest. The tip snapped at the splicing joint between the glass tip and blank about 4 rings down. This was a new rod and its first use!!!

Anyone else had this issue with these rods or brand, i know of one person that had this issue with the previous model of this rod

Dont know if i can post a pic on here, but if i can i will

Out of curiosity, you say that you was using a groundcast, but the sort of cast you were using, is it often described as a "high inertia cast", or "easy cast". Ie starting point being with the weight/rig on the floor underneath the rod so it loads the tip the second you begin moving?

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Out of curiosity, you say that you was using a groundcast, but the sort of cast you were using, is it often described as a "high inertia cast", or "easy cast". Ie starting point being with the weight/rig on the floor underneath the rod so it loads the tip the second you begin moving?
Ive heard of loads of these leeda rods snapping, If you can save up and buy something decent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was just a standard off the ground over the shoulder cast. I have uploaded a video on youtube with a review after Leeda replaced the rod and the replacement is very different and interesting. They obviouly fixed the issue here but i have lost trust in this brand!

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Seems like Leeda rods have gone down hill since I bought my old Icon Powers. You could cast a house brick with those and not snap them.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I must say I haven't had any problems with my 'Elite Powers' have had them since they were released, hauled in rays etc no problems, I did contact Leeda about this speculation around there tips concerning the Icon Elites (2 piece, glass tipped) and they replied that they have not had any problems with them. The FXD Conti Elites problems have been well documented (different story )

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Interesting........ I’ve got all of the mk3 icon models and touch wood not had a single issue with any over the last 12 months of use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting........ I’ve got all of the mk3 icon models and touch wood not had a single issue with any over the last 12 months of use.
What tip do you have, as Icon are aware and they have new tips which are rung different and ha e a model number on them too... which is different to original ones that snapped. I will post a pic

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The pic above is of the replacement from Icon, just to avoid confusion :)
P.s. the old tip that snapped didnt have a model number and had 10 rings, the new replacement has 9

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
P.s. the old tip that snapped didnt have a model number and had 10 rings, the new replacement has 9
Just taken a pic of my power model. 9 guides on the tip plus 1 on bottom half so 10 in all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just taken a pic of my power model. 9 guides on the tip plus 1 on bottom half so 10 in all.
View attachment 1352955
You my friend are safe as your tip is same as my replacement. Looks like the old tip that had 10 rings on tip section and one on the but making it 11 rings are the faulty ones which are prone to snapping.

Can i ask how do you find this model as i lost faith after mine snapping, but looks like it may be ok now with the updated tip (currently have mine forsale but may just keep it :unsure:).

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
You my friend are safe as your tip is same as my replacement. Looks like the old tip that had 10 rings on tip section and one on the but making it 11 rings are the faulty ones which are prone to snapping.

Can i ask how do you find this model as i lost faith after mine snapping, but looks like it may be ok now with the updated tip (currently have mine forsale but may just keep it :unsure:).
I thought, rightly or wrongly that these were bought out due to the previous model Icon Elites having the tip breakage issues. Though now seeing your post I’m not so sure.
I bought mine at the local tackle shop, think I paid £140 for it before Xmas last year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When counting the eyes is the tip one included as the one I am looking at has 10 eyes in total on the top section and a model number A3031
Regards John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts