World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted a similar question earlier today but realise the title was wrong. Apologies for the repetition!

I'm looking for a rod for conger fishing from the rocks around Plymouth. I already have a Century Kompressor Sport but think I might need something with a bit more poke.

I'm looking at the new Leeda Icon M-sport rods - can anyone advise me if i should go for the Icom M-Sport Power or Ultra power.

I had a play with the M-Sport Power yesterday but the shop didn't have the Ultra Power in stock. I can get one for around £135 so the price is good.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I am sure we are all aware you need a rod for conger fishing.

Your komp s will handle pretty much any shore caught conger you'll likely to encounter.

For example I have caught a 25lb eel on a 9ft 60gr spinning rod.

It's the reel that's more important

A correctly set drag is the most important thing.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Of the 2 an Ultra Power would be better, but the Komp as said will do the job fine...plus the Ultra Power is very hard to source atm....

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am sure we are all aware you need a rod for conger fishing.

Your komp s will handle pretty much any shore caught conger you'll likely to encounter.

For example I have caught a 25lb eel on a 9ft 60gr spinning rod.

It's the reel that's more important

A correctly set drag is the most important thing.
did i mention i need a rod for conger fishing....

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
still not decided which rod you want? this must be your 5 or 6 which rod post in the last 2 weeks lol.
well good to see your making an informed decision
I used to be indecisive but I'm not so sure now...

Well, I ended up being impulsive and have got myself the Power version this afternoon! I still haven't seen the Ultra Power but if its any more pokey than the Power iit must be built for great white sharks.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The ultra is a very fast rod, faster than it is powerful, use a longish drop, a nice slow wind up and a fast finish and it loves it, it will cast a very very long wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Detection is very good for this type of rod. Regards Mark

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The ultra is a very fast rod, faster than it is powerful, use a longish drop, a nice slow wind up and a fast finish and it loves it, it will cast a very very long wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Detection is very good for this type of rod. Regards Mark
Mark u described the leeda ultra sport so spot on ! Well said,im with u all the way buddy !
cheers
Bill

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
you may need to get the rings replaced mate dont wanna be dropping that baby
Yep Id be popping a set of minimas on...in fact im doing just that :) the rings are ok, just liable to breakage if dropped, so try not to drop it lol :p

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys, i'm new to this forum and was wondering if the power would handle rock marks and also general beach fishing. I will be coupling it up with a Daiwa SL20SH

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi Swanny, yes the Icon Power will cope with all conditions the UK has to offer its equally at home hauling big conger off rock marks as it is showing little whiting rattles on the beaches, as you said you will be coupling it with a SL20SH that will be fine as I use Penn 525 reels on mine most of the time but if I am fishing really rough ground I have a pair of SL30SH which I drop on.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Can these rods be used with fixed spool?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes - I used mine with a fixed spool. I fitted a sliding reel seat in place of the coasters. Great with a fixed spool.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
Great rod so far for me used mine for conger, few scrapes and scratches but all eyes fine after 8 months. powerhouse of a rod for small money, I have the ultra power version. I think the eyes are ok as long as it doesn't drop, like all things these days, drop your £600 iphone and it's toast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts