World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My m8 bought a Leeda Icon 12-20lb boat rod in July. Our boat rods (and reels) live on the boat March through October and fare pretty well considering that they get sprayed with salt for days and stored in a damp cabin between times (daiwa kensaki, penn regiment, greys affinity (shatter for no reason) and shakespear ugly stiks). The Icon has a fugi legend on the rod (so must be guides, I presume) and two of the guides have corroded badly in just a couple of months. As the corrosion is around the ring feet it's also blistering the whipping. Whilst the rod has a lovely action, the foregrip is way too thin and needs replacing for something to hold onto. Luckily there isn't a butt ring so a new grip can be easily accomodated. Penn fathoms have just finished their third year of abuse and are working perfectly, but cosmetics are staring to suffer.

·
Registered
21,667 Posts
My m8 bought a Leeda Icon 12-20lb boat rod in July. Our boat rods (and reels) live on the boat March through October and fare pretty well considering that they get sprayed with salt for days and stored in a damp cabin between times (daiwa kensaki, penn regiment, greys affinity (shatter for no reason) and shakespear ugly stiks). The Icon has a fugi legend on the rod (so must be guides, I presume) and two of the guides have corroded badly in just a couple of months. As the corrosion is around the ring feet it's also blistering the whipping. Whilst the rod has a lovely action, the foregrip is way too thin and needs replacing for something to hold onto. Luckily there isn't a butt ring so a new grip can be easily accomodated. Penn fathoms have just finished their third year of abuse and are working perfectly, but cosmetics are staring to suffer.
:sneaky:The only things I stored on my boat were the weights and coffee makings, salt water and air are not good for tackle.:sneaky:

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
As I said, other tackle takes it just fine. Either the Fuji rings on the rod aren't, or their quality has gone way downhill.
The fuji legend can mean either the rings or the reel seat, think the icon has a standard fuji reel seat and cheap rings. If it had fuji rings then the legend should say 'fuji guides' iirc

·
Registered
21,667 Posts
The fuji legend can mean either the rings or the reel seat, think the icon has a standard fuji reel seat and cheap rings. If it had fuji rings then the legend should say 'fuji guides' iirc
😄The rings could be "Chinese Fujis", AKA Fakes. I received a boat rod to review and in the advert in magazines it stated it was fitted with "Fuji rings". When using it for the review I cast it and the leader knot took the centre of the tip ring out. So I phoned the firm and they said that they didn't use "genuine" Fujis for review rods as it added about a £100 to the price but all rods for sale had genuine Fuji fittings. That sorted I had a "genuine" Fuji tip ring fitted and it's been fine since, but I do wonder just how many review rods do they send out to risk getting a bad review due to cheaper rings?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
😄The rings could be "Chinese Fujis", AKA Fakes. I received a boat rod to review and in the advert in magazines it stated it was fitted with "Fuji rings". When using it for the review I cast it and the leader knot took the centre of the tip ring out. So I phoned the firm and they said that they didn't use "genuine" Fujis for review rods as it added about a £100 to the price but all rods for sale had genuine Fuji fittings. That sorted I had a "genuine" Fuji tip ring fitted and it's been fine since, but I do wonder just how many review rods do they send out to risk getting a bad review due to cheaper rings?
Seems stupid, why would anybody think that would be a good idea not to send a production spec rod for review. Who are these people and how are they still in a job?

·
Registered
21,667 Posts
Seems stupid, why would anybody think that would be a good idea not to send a production spec rod for review. Who are these people and how are they still in a job?
;) No they are not still in a job. TheIr blanks were great but sending out a "sub standard rod" in my eyes is is bad practice as if it had happened to another reviewer they probably would have slated the rod.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts