World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
my mate has a 18 with a yam 100 hp four stroke, as is a brill sea boat mate.
his has the shorter cabin which means bigger fishing space, fishes 3 comfatably, and a great sea baot and bloody fast at 35 mph but cruisesat 25 mph no probs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have breifly set foot on one but think it was a bit tippy for a semi cathedral hull also be wary if its fitted with the mercruiser 1.7 dti as they have been known to have problems with turbo's, not that cheap new .

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have breifly set foot on one but think it was a bit tippy for a semi cathedral hull also be wary if its fitted with the mercruiser 1.7 dti as they have been known to have problems with turbo's, not that cheap new .
If I go for it I would find out exactly what engine mercruiser use, somebody said it was the vauxhall engine which will probably be the Iszu, if that's the case there are plenty of these around.
I tested an outboard driven one some time ago, can't say I found it tippy, but it depends on what your comparing it to.

Thanks to everybody for their input.
Rgds TB.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hello tony not easy this boat buying lark lol

at the time I was in the market for a fast fisher I tried almost everything on the market much to the frustration of many a salesman, lots of very good boats inc the leeward but IMO the raider 18, wheelhouse model took a lot of beating for performance on the water and price ,as a pure fishing machine.went another route in the end .

·
Registered
487 Posts
thats the one I'm looking at!!!
Looks pretty good.
look's a cracker Tony,

i looked at 1 before i bought Cheapskate, only thing that put me off was the bloke said it was cat C for 4 people, and there's 5 of us sometimes 6, so we looked for something a little bigger,

to tell you the truth when i was told it was cat C for 4, i was surprised, they look a lot more boat than that,

Andy

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
boats are made in amble in northumberland now
Yes that particular boat was built at Amble, spoke to David Wood about it, and a very nice chap he is, it's a pity Benneteau didn't have him at the boats show.
straying off the subject here but Amble also deal with Benneteau, and build the Leewards.
Hopefully i should pick up my boat on thursday and try her out friday, weather permitting.

Rriveting stuff. I'm on the edge of my seat!!
TB

·
Registered
158 Posts
well done tony

good luck with her

you've just got to worry about paying for her now lol , its nice to get sorted though looking for a new boat is fine at first but can get very tiresome.
your right about dave good lad
Ron.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi, I have owned a Leeward 18 for the last 2 years - I have a 75ph e-tec (+4hp aux). While I do not have any personal experience of the sterndrive version, I do have these observations.

My hull was fitted out to take either a stern drive or O/b. I opted for the O/B due to cost and also to weight... a mercrusiser 1.7 with sterndrive weighs about 250kg and I felt that this was quite heavey to hang off the back of a small (ish) boat. My O/B weighs 138kg.. quite a difference!

Also all that extra weight could bring the self draining deck ports lower into the water reducing their effectiveness.

With my 75hp I manage (in good weather) around 26-27 knots flat out and comfortably cruise at around 18-20 knots.

I have made a few mods to my boat (especially replacing the elephant trunks which were a pain !)

I can say, however, that it is a great boat and very easy to live with!!

If any Leeward Owner or prospective owner wanted to swap notes, don't hesitate to get in touch

Rob

G

·
Hi Tony,
I would be very interested in hearing your comments when you get it (and have used it) as I am seriously thinking of getting one soon - an inboard version is a must for me. I have heard lots said and not always great but never heard from someone thats owned one with a sterndrive.

Let me know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts