World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys can anyone suggest a good lefty for me ,ive always had a fixed spool ,and feel a bit strange reeling with the right ,anybody feel the same?:fishing:

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
abu do a leftie range for them that aint normal:wiggle:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Abu Garcia have the best range of lhw. The abu range always ends in a 1 eg 5501, 6501 , 7001. If you`re beach casting & light/medium ground I`d avoid the models with a thumb bar, the models with the click button on the side plate are far more reliable, the thumb bar models are really geared towards the big game lure fishermen.

Veals are doing a cheap deal on the 7001i £75 (rough ground) https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/ABU-reels.html

thundercat has listed a nice 6501(medium) but there is a cheap one on [email protected] buyitnow £55 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ABU-6501C3-Mu...0QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:GB:101

There is a cheap buy it now 5501c3 on fleabay £50 freepost (light). http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ABU-C3-SERIES...hash=item130243270535&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

All of the above have levelwind & have centrifugal brakes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i hate frea bay as you do not know what you are getting, i always buy new as you get manufactures garantee with it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well ive bouht about 5 or 6 reels from the bay over the years and no problem. Providing you vet the seller and know the exact model you`re looking for you should be fine. Not all of us can pay full whack shop prices !
I reckon ive saved about £200 the past few years, that`s almost enough to buy a new Century Tip Tornado LD........(trying to justify this new model).

·
Registered
451 Posts
I do everything right-handed #leave it!# but changed to LHW multis only last year and it's made a huge difference to my boat fishing.
No more changing hands when casting or moving the rod from one side of my body to the other for me.
Most of us fish LHW in freshwater don't we, to me it seemed natural to change.

Er, anyway, back to the point..............Abu reels are fine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I do everything right-handed #leave it!# but changed to LHW multis only last year and it's made a huge difference to my boat fishing.
No more changing hands when casting or moving the rod from one side of my body to the other for me.
Most of us fish LHW in freshwater don't we, to me it seemed natural to change.

Er, anyway, back to the point..............Abu reels are fine.
That`s the main reason why I use a lefty when spinning for pollack etc, after casting over your right shoulder you want the reel handle on the left just like a fixed spool !
& also you`re spot on with game fishing, I use an abu revo stx lefty on the river.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i'm i lefty and never ever bothered me. Started young though so maybe thats why.
But that doesn`t get away from the fact that if you`re casting over your right shoulder its a pest to switch the rod from one hand to the other when you`re spinning, doesn`t bother me when it`s on a tripod which is why my beach reels are right hand wind, it`s beneficial to learn to retrieve with the right though because your choices for lhw is very limited, no penn 525 was ever made in lefty to my knowledge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts