World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Length vs weight

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  PeterTing 
#1 ·
I saw a thread recently on here that I now can't find - length vs weight of a fish.

Us older ones always used to go by the weight of a fish. These days it is more common to talk of length. I find I have to agree.

This week I had a classic example. My previous best bass was landed on the Algarve, Portugal. Weighing in at 6lb. I didn't measure the length, we didn't back then (1999).

This week, at Southwold, I had a 5lb'er and at 59cm it was clearly longer than the Portuguese one. So I count that as breaking my pb for a bass. At least by modern ways of looking at it.

#3 ·
I’ve been attacking the bass in Portugal once a year in winter for three years, it’s stunning out there, and very very hard going! I haven’t caught one of the huge ones out there, but if I broke my UK lure caught PB with a Portuguese fish, I would count that as my Portuguese PB, not as my overall PB. In theory, a Portuguese double figured bass is a much more common beast than a UK one! I measure and weigh a decent fish. Peer pressure makes me measure them. I don’t care about the length, only the weight. An 8lb’er could be 68cm or 74cm, but it only weighs what it weighs - 8lb. Right? 😂

#4 ·
It helps when you put shingle in their mouths before weighing them, as you well know.

I can’t remember the last fish I weighed and hav’nt measured a fish for a long time too.

Reactions: MikeTheBass
#14 ·
Sorry Peter - not always easy to get peoples tone on social media. Me and Dan are good mates, and once I popped a pebble in a fishes mouth for a joke as we weighed our respective catches. I'm not a cheat or a liar, just a bit of an idiot. Thanks for the nice things you said :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.