World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions I'd like answers to please guys/gals:

1:A codling weighs 2lbs 4 ozs AFTER being gutted...what was the approximate weight when it came out of the water?

2: Female starry smoothound, probably in pup is 43" inches long....whats the weight? (I know its over 14lbs)

Thanks in advance :thumbs:

·
Registered
928 Posts
question I'd like answers too please guys/gals:

1:A codling weighs 2lbs 4 ozs AFTER being gutted...what was the approximate weight when it came iut of the water?

depends what it had to eat before it was caught. i.e. was it stuffed with crabs/sprats etc etc

·
Wales Team Captain
2,361 Posts
2 questions I'd like answers too please guys/gals:

1:A codling weighs 2lbs 4 ozs AFTER being gutted...what was the approximate weight when it came iut of the water?

2: Female starry smoothound, probably in pup is 43" inches long....whats the weight? (I know its over 14lbs)

buy a set of scales mart :laugh:

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
depends what it had to eat before it was caught. i.e. was it stuffed with crabs/sprats etc etc
3 or 4 crabs, cpl shrimpy looking things

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
2 questions I'd like answers to please guys/gals:

1:A codling weighs 2lbs 4 ozs AFTER being gutted...what was the approximate weight when it came out of the water?

(1) 2lb 12oz
(2) could have weighed a lot of different weights, I've had loads 43" & longer, never had a double yet.

AL ..

·
Registered
728 Posts
Codling, I would say 2 lbs 11 ozs. As for hound, they always weigh heavier than they look, couldn't guess without seeing it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
No conferring here, I was still typing while Al was posting ...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
I reckon the hound was only about 7.5lb cos in the pic i saw of it, it didn't have a head or tail,,:laugh:

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I reckon the hound was only about 7.5lb cos in the pic i saw of it, it didn't have a head or tail,,:laugh:
Codling, I would say 2 lbs 11 ozs. As for hound, they always weigh heavier than they look, couldn't guess without seeing it.
Here ya both go:

Belly flattened out on sand, almost definitely "in pup"
Note outline of fins in sand :)
(I didnt until someone pointed it out,lol)

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would put the hound at about 10 - 11 lbs, but its purely a guess.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The one below went about 8lb, not in pup, i'd say yours went no more than 9.5lb

AL ..

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The one below went about 8lb, not in pup, i'd say yours went no more than 9.5lb

AL ..
Sorry Al, but yr way out there. As I mentioned elsewhere, I was a fishmonger for years, and handled enough 1st boxes of fish to know what 14lbs feels like, and this was definitely heavier. My estimate was 15lbs 8, but I measured the length anyway....forgot to measure the girth tho :oops:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Sorry Al, but yr way out there. As I mentioned elsewhere, I was a fishmonger for years, and handled enough 1st boxes of fish to know what 14lbs feels like, and this was definitely heavier. My estimate was 15lbs 8, but I measured the length anyway....forgot to measure the girth tho :oops:
I've got two Hound length to weight charts in front of me, for a 109cm fish the first one say's 10lb 14oz, the second 12lb 2oz. I have found them to be quite accurate for sub 100cm hounds, but for the big fish the charts seem to over estimate. I would be very suprised if that fish was 15lb 8oz but without seeing it in the flesh, who knows, best get yourself a set of scales!

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've got two Hound length to weight charts in front of me, for a 109cm fish the first one say's 10lb 14oz, the second 12lb 2oz. I have found them to be quite accurate for sub 100cm hounds, but for the big fish the charts seem to over estimate. I would be very suprised if that fish was 15lb 8oz but without seeing it in the flesh, who knows, best get yourself a set of scales!
That probably doesnt take into account that this one was a female, and at this time of year was almost definitely in pup. The pic doesnt show the full size as the belly is flattened a fair bit by being on the sand. Maybe it wasnt 15 8, but I know it was over 14.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've had several 109 - 110cm Hounds this year and they weighed between 10lb 5oz and 12lb 1oz... I've also had 107-108cm ones that weighed between 9lb 10oz and 11lb 14oz and some of the heavier ones have recorded the shorter lengths, so there's no exact ratio between length and weight for Smoothounds.

Incidentally, I devised the smoothound length to weight chart used for the ISAC league, which was produced by averaging the exact length and weights of several hundred Hounds that I caught over a number of years from various venues... I used to tag hounds for the Shark Trust and had to record the weight, length and girth of any hounds caught over 10lbs... the biggest I actually tagged went 20lb 10oz and was 130cm long but the heaviest one I caught was 127cm and weighed 21lb 4oz.

I took this a stage further and measured the length and weight of every single hound I caught from 51cm upwards over a 2 year period and it was from analysing this information that the chart was produced.

The size chart was devised purely to provide a fair means of recording the approximate weight for competition purposes, so that measure and release could be an option rather than bringing piles of dead Hounds back to the weigh in... the inspiration for this came after a couple of matches back in the early to mid 90's at Selsey and Pagham (which I refused to fish at the time) were won with 200lb+ bags of hounds, which were all brought back to the scales and dumped in bins afterwards.

No chart is going to be 100% accurate all the time, its just not mathematically possible due to the number whole cms being a lot less than the possible combinations of lb's and ounces... on top of that, some fish are just fatter or thinner than others, so you can only average them out.

If you need to know exactly what any given fish weighs, you will have to invest in a set of scales and weigh each one!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Bally, I produced both of those charts that you have... the one showing the weight of 12lb 2oz for a 109cm was my first version, which I amended with version 2 the following year.

Incidentally, I have had a 12lb 1oz fish at 109cm this year but also had a 10lb 5oz one at 110cm!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.