World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to give it a bash on tuesday just gone, conditions looked perfect! Light wind with no rain at last.
To cut a long story short it was rubbish! I fished between the outlet and the old iron structure and only managed one small dogfish.
Mainly because The baits were only on the hook for minutes before being minced by crabs bastards!
I tried everybait I had I was targeting rays mainly and smoothhound using everybait I had.
Including Peelers, Hermits,Mackeral,Sandeels and squid! In the end I resorted to a sandeel with a squid leather jacket to try and make the bait more crab prof but it seems the spiders have marched in.
We also intended to fish the ebb but I know now for future reference that it will be an impossibility in future! It just switch from flood to some crazy torrent in the opposite direction no slack water. Is this the norm?

Cheers

·
Registered
489 Posts
Crabs - If they are really bad I use a ledger with a very short trace and white polystyrene sleeve to keep the bait about 8" above bottom. This cuts down the bait losses alot. Obviously its not an ideal rig but the polystyrene doesn't bother bream or bass, perhaps it is actually a useful attractor ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts