World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All
My first post, and complete newbie to sea fishing bar catching mackerel from a dangerously overladen boat in Cornwall as a kid.
Read up a bit and fancy breaking my cherry at Lepe and have worked out from other posts where to park and walk down at Gypsy Lane. Love some guidance on what rod/reel/gear to use (I will need to buy this yet) .
Also, what bait and technique works well there?
I’m sorry this is asking for so much information but I’d be grateful for any advice!
Many thanks

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Morning mate.
I have fished Gypsy Lane for over 10 years now, mainly in spring and late autumn when it really comes to life.
It is more challenging since they dredged the channel and heavy duty gear is advisable to get your tackle up and out.
I would avoid using shock leader all together and opt for a strong mainline (30lb) and a gentle over head thump, as distance isn't required at this mark.
Best bit of advice I can give you is always fish either 1 down and 2 up, or 1 up and over high water.
Don't make the mistake I did for a couple of years and dig bait at low and miss the best time, and only fish until high and miss the second best time (over high).
You may pick up the odd fish at other states of tide but these periods are always most productive.
Jan - April can be quiet, although you will pick up flounder until February. Try fishing from the road or mud flats further up Beaulieu river.
May - June sees the return of the smut and bass. You can't beat peeler crab in the channel for these
July - September you'll pick up decent size black bream and small gilthead, as well as bass and thorneback ray, with the outside chance of a spotted.
October - December is a good time to target flounder and sole, outside chance of all of the above other than bream.
I think that covers it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Morning mate.
I have fished Gypsy Lane for over 10 years now, mainly in spring and late autumn when it really comes to life.
It is more challenging since they dredged the channel and heavy duty gear is advisable to get your tackle up and out.
I would avoid using shock leader all together and opt for a strong mainline (30lb) and a gentle over head thump, as distance isn't required at this mark.
Best bit of advice I can give you is always fish either 1 down and 2 up, or 1 up and over high water.
Don't make the mistake I did for a couple of years and dig bait at low and miss the best time, and only fish until high and miss the second best time (over high).
You may pick up the odd fish at other states of tide but these periods are always most productive.
Jan - April can be quiet, although you will pick up flounder until February. Try fishing from the road or mud flats further up Beaulieu river.
May - June sees the return of the smut and bass. You can't beat peeler crab in the channel for these
July - September you'll pick up decent size black bream and small gilthead, as well as bass and thorneback ray, with the outside chance of a spotted.
October - December is a good time to target flounder and sole, outside chance of all of the above other than bream.
I think that covers it...
Thank you very much , that’s very useful. I was thinking of getting a rod 11ft 6 penn rod, would that suffice? Have you ever tried lures off the rock heap there that becomes exposed at low tide that I have read about?
Cheers

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Thank you very much , that’s very useful. I was thinking of getting a rod 11ft 6 penn rod, would that suffice? Have you ever tried lures off the rock heap there that becomes exposed at low tide that I have read about?
Cheers
The whole stretch is great for luring at different states of tides.
I'm guessing you mean the long spit?
If so, be extremely careful on there as the current is ridiculous.
Fish to the right on the flood and left on the ebb.
Plenty of bass to 2/3lb with the odd lump if you're lucky

1 - 4 of 4 Posts