World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone else found that there are alot more dogs around than usual this year and alot less pout. i've prob noticed it more because i do quite a bit of match fishing, but even when pleasure fishing there's deffo more dogs than in recent years.

it seems like you've got more chance of catching a bass, than a pout for livebaiting atm.

anyone got any thoughts on why this might be and how it might affect the fishing?

·
Registered
676 Posts
The sea does seem to be full of dogfish at the moment. I agree there have been many less pout about in the last couple of years. I now thay were a pain at times but in matches when there is nothing else about they did get us out of trouble.
I hope its just one of those cycle things and they have had a bad couple of breeding years.
You have to wonder what effect the millions of dogs are having on life below the waves they must be eating everything that moves. So far this year I have had a lot less trouble with crabs taking the bait you have to wonder if the dogfish are eating them.does anyone think there are less crabs about too? I suppose its even posssible that the pout fry have been eaten by the dogfish too.
DaveA

·
Registered
920 Posts
The sea does seem to be full of dogfish at the moment. I agree there have been many less pout about in the last couple of years. I now thay were a pain at times but in matches when there is nothing else about they did get us out of trouble.
I hope its just one of those cycle things and they have had a bad couple of breeding years.
You have to wonder what effect the millions of dogs are having on life below the waves they must be eating everything that moves. So far this year I have had a lot less trouble with crabs taking the bait you have to wonder if the dogfish are eating them.does anyone think there are less crabs about too? I suppose its even posssible that the pout fry have been eaten by the dogfish too.
DaveA

funny you should say that, the bass n dogfish we had from deal yesterday were all gorged on crabs, i only noticed because they had all had orange oozing from there mouths, on closer inspection they were absoloutely stuffed with crabs, one doggy even coughed up a claw n couple of legs- nice! :yucky: i was using peeler for bait as well.

G

·
Last year I caught my first dogfish from the shore in 40 years of fishing.

Since then both my partner and I have caught loads of them, whereas in years gone by I never saw one caught.

I have only caught one pouting this year.. Last year had 97 in one session on Deal pier.

Maybe all the pouting are caught under the snags on the pier and can't swim off........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts