World Sea Fishing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has knocked the commercial sector a bit ..

With the waves , and storms , weather , surely less bass than normal have been hit by the pairs ....

How there allowed to target big breeding females in the winter is beyound me ..

You would think for there OWN futures they would live breeding fish alone ...

Might be a few years time , but we ALL should see a benifit from this mild winter for cold , and nice big storms at sea ...

In fact i would say the whole of last year weather wise was a good year for the bass ..

All the people that say they had a terrible year and a late start ... That dont mean the bass were not there , it just means the conditions to get to them were not right .

So all in all a bad year for ALL fishing people , boats etc , is a great year for the fish ....so dont always view it as a bad thing ...

I think mother nature is very clever at making up the balance ....

If we need to have terrible conditions for the next 5 years , so be it , i would not moan , i would be happy knowing less bass getting caught ....

When its so very hard , its better to try when conditions are well in your favour imho ...

I saw loads people say on here went today , it was terrible etc etc ... I couldnt even believe they were trying on the winds and tides they went on ...

Maximize your chances , keep a diary , keep notes , leave the rubbish tides and winds well alone .....They will ALWAYS be rubbish ....

I blanked about 6 times last year , more than normal , but 4 came from nov onwards , with only a couple may to nov , ( they were only short trips , ) its easy to save a

blank if willing to try few spots not just one ...

Prob learnt more on those 6 trips than i did on the catching ones ....

Will leave the spots on those tides and winds well alone at that time of year ...Its all learning , we are ALL , always learning ....

Even the know it alls , .......................DONT know it all .... I certainly dont , and enjoy every season trying something new to me ..

Water craft will ALWAYS BE NUMBER ONE FACTOR in catching bass , without it , you can have all the kit you want , but its worthless ......

Here ,s to a few more terrible weeks of big seas :fish::fish::fish:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I know you do a bit of guiding Mark, do you teach your customers about water craft?..or is it just how to fish lures properly?..

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Well its looking like we will be getting those few more weeks of terrible seas , so yes its a good point you make about the commercials not being able to get at em like normal and hopefully be good for the future . No cold spell yet either this winter , surely we are not going to get away with it are we ?!?!? :g:

·
Registered
760 Posts
In fact i would say the whole of last year weather wise was a good year for the bass ..

All the people that say they had a terrible year and a late start ... That dont mean the bass were not there , it just means the conditions to get to them were not right .

So all in all a bad year for ALL fishing people , boats etc , is a great year for the fish ....so dont always view it as a bad thing ...
We had a fairly good year for bass this year Mark, the fish seemed to be concentrated much further off shore this year though probably due to the baitfish tending to be more concentrated further out. Off the shore a lot of my regular marks didn't produce this year but once we found the ones that were we saw quite a large increase in both numbers and size so I wouldn't say it's all doom and gloom. The mild winter is a nice surprise as well so hopefully we won't see the die off rates of the small fish this year.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
winters hasnt started yet i dont reckon,just looked at my journal for last year and we had snow on 11th march & 4th april,
I havnt seen many trawlers leave my harbour for a while wich is good news..

·
Registered
567 Posts
winters hasnt started yet i dont reckon,just looked at my journal for last year and we had snow on 11th march & 4th april,
I havnt seen many trawlers leave my harbour for a while wich is good news..
Hopefully if the bad weather keeps up for long enough a few of them may go out of business, or better still sink, with empty nets and with no loss of life of course.

I don't mind hearing of commercial fishermen going out of business, not so good if they lose their lives though, but I also think it is irresponsible of any boat owner to go out in bad weather and then expect the RNLI crews to put their lives at risk to rescue them when it all goes wrong.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
For once I agree with you on this one!! I would be quite happy if this crazy run of weather systems continues for the next six weeks and the commercials have a crap time of it.... Fu££ em. I'm quite happy ....just gonna surf my brains out and wait till it warms up again.... Not that the waters even got proper cold yet, as long as we don't get a long freeze it could be an epic year!!

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
i quite agree mark, me and gee had the same conservation last week
about the weather affecting boats hammering the fish .
nature does work in mysterious ways ,not always of benefit though

i feel for all the people who,s homes have been flooded out.
were lucky up this way in that respect

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I think it's gonna be an interesting year ahead lure fishing....pics I've seen from around the SW and Wales suggest a lot will have changed when we finally get back out there in numbers.
......some marks are gonna look and feel very different...... rocks & gullies where there once was sand.... and vice versa..plus all the cliff falls yet to come in the spring...

I think the 'Sticky'...'How I attack a new mark' will be well worth another read !?!?

I agree too.............storms have provided a great respite period for all the breeding species.. (it was good to see an old encrusted 'lost' gill net ripped out by the storm locally and dumped shredded and useless on the beach..no longer a threat!?!)

..and yes ....agree the relatively mild winter to date 'should ' mean sea temps will recover more quickly than they did last year.. ???(I hope so...I don't want to regret saying that !?!?)

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Been telling mates out side this forum it will improve the bass fishing next year and beyond. Less commercial activity and as the bass also stayed much longer feeding in the mental weather, the start of the lure season their going to be fatter as well. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts

With the waves , and storms , weather , surely less bass than normal have been hit by the pairs ....

Might be a few years time , but we ALL should see a benifit from this mild winter for cold , and nice big storms at sea ...

If we need to have terrible conditions for the next 5 years , so be it , i would not moan , i would be happy knowing less bass getting caught ....

When its so very hard , its better to try when conditions are well in your favour imho ...

I saw loads people say on here went today , it was terrible etc etc ... I couldnt even believe they were trying on the winds and tides they went on ...

Maximize your chances , keep a diary , keep notes , leave the rubbish tides and winds well alone .....They will ALWAYS be rubbish ....

I blanked about 6 times last year , more than normal , but 4 came from nov onwards , with only a couple may to nov , ( they were only short trips , ) its easy to save a

Will leave the spots on those tides and winds well alone at that time of year ...Its all learning , we are ALL , always learning ....

Even the know it alls , .......................DONT know it all .... I certainly dont , and enjoy every season trying something new to me ..

Water craft will ALWAYS BE NUMBER ONE FACTOR in catching bass , without it , you can have all the kit you want , but its worthless ......

Great starter post mark ,,

Just shows that anglers on this forum are thinking outside the box ,,just remember when you get on your fave fishing area at the end of March it won't be there,all change so be warned,so don't moan about the weather rejoice,
This weather is brilliant for reading the coast to give you a picture of what's out there so get your watercraft boots on and go and start to research now and make notes of prospective marks including access ,tides etc for the coming months ahead,
The coast is opening it's heart in the rough conditions,showing you it's secrets,

The fresh water coming down my estuarys in essex has really made its presence made by washing most of the silt out to sea leaving exposed gravel beds forming nice bass hunting grounds so with less silt mabey my water will get a little clearer for 2014??

·
Registered
2,576 Posts

Great starter post mark ,,

Just shows that anglers on this forum are thinking outside the box ,,just remember when you get on your fave fishing area at the end of March it won't be there,all change so be warned,so don't moan about the weather rejoice,
This weather is brilliant for reading the coast to give you a picture of what's out there so get your watercraft boots on and go and start to research now and make notes of prospective marks including access ,tides etc for the coming months ahead,
The coast is opening it's heart in the rough conditions,showing you it's secrets,

The fresh water coming down my estuarys in essex has really made its presence made by washing most of the silt out to sea leaving exposed gravel beds forming nice bass hunting grounds so with less silt mabey my water will get a little clearer for 2014??:g:
So there are loads of ways to look at the weather including all them Bass hidden below the mountainous seas under lock and key in there secret spot away from prying commercials:whistling:whistling
All the best
Gee

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,506 Posts
Some fantastic points in this thread.
With this horrendous weather we are experiencing our coastline is going to be altered and some favorite marks me be changed or gone forever.

The force and power of nature.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Some fantastic points in this thread.
With this horrendous weather we are experiencing our coastline is going to be altered and some favorite marks me be changed or gone forever.

The force and power of nature.
I hope all my marks have changed in that they now hold fish

·
Registered
733 Posts
I started this at the beginning of last year and quickly started to see patterns, not just for bass but for Pollock/Wrasse too, everything seems to follow a pattern :thumbs:

Something I have also learnt and equally important IMO is to record the ~2 days weather leading up to the day you fish.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
A couple of observations from down here in the far West:

1. Much of the stormy weather has been southerly or westerly, so the water is still quite warm -- about 10 degrees. Although it has been too rough to be safe on most of my plugging and flyfishing spots, the beaches still are giving me decent catches of bass. So my hope is that the lure season will start early. The rockpools are filling up with life, and gilthead bream have arrived already in these parts -- though not in numbers -- so the big bass should be close behind, if the past is any guide.

2. Marks have indeed changed. Some of my regular beaches have lost all their sand; and I have seen rocks the size of Landrovers appearing and disappearing in the coves. All of my wrack-bed spots -- often good in the early spring, with a slow-and-low SP twitched through the weed -- are as bald as I am (i.e., totally). So when the water hits that magical temperature (11 or 12 degrees, in my book), I'll be trying some different tactics.

·
Registered
25,005 Posts
For once I agree with you on this one!! I would be quite happy if this crazy run of weather systems continues for the next six weeks and the commercials have a crap time of it.... Fu££ em. I'm quite happy ....just gonna surf my brains out and wait till it warms up again.... Not that the waters even got proper cold yet, as long as we don't get a long freeze it could be an epic year!!
Personally hope the boys get out and hammer the hell out of the bass to make up for lost time!!! February is crap for inshore bassing anyway.Mate of mine earnt £5000 on a 14ft punt in one day just after new year,now having a months holiday in spain as the fishings slow.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
French will eat nearly anything and fish in nearly anything but it all helps scupper their efforts hope this spawning occurs before they get a chance.
next season start the sandeel and mackerel turning up or not they were very very scarce locally a lot of the time don't recall catching a single big launce last year. If the bait turns up early be worth going out

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know you do a bit of guiding Mark, do you teach your customers about water craft?..or is it just how to fish lures properly?..
I think from guiding it proves to me a certain amount of water craft your born with ...
Sounds weird , but honest i dont think it can all be taught ...

Some people are naturally good at darts or football ..

You can coach those people and make them better , far better .

But those that cant hit the board and have 2 left feet , you really cant do a lot with ...

Same as fishing to me ....no natural ability , always going to struggle ...

But my guiding would be first and foremost that they catch a bass on methods i show ..

To me , how can they know im telling the truth if they dont catch anything all day , (hence no catch no fee )

People get enjoyment from catching , and 80 percent of my guides are newbies , or people not doing to well that want pointers on how to do better ...

I find it far easier to catch a bass than a mac ..... :wacko: caught about 6 mac last year , trying to catch them for my old next door neighbours tea ..

Found it terrible to keep telling him i couldnt catch him many last year ... ill keep trying for him this year though , lol ...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I think from guiding it proves to me a certain amount of water craft your born with ...
Sounds weird , but honest i dont think it can all be taught ...

Some people are naturally good at darts or football ..

You can coach those people and make them better , far better .

But those that cant hit the board and have 2 left feet , you really cant do a lot with ...

Same as fishing to me ....no natural ability , always going to struggle ...

But my guiding would be first and foremost that they catch a bass on methods i show ..

To me , how can they know im telling the truth if they dont catch anything all day , (hence no catch no fee )

People get enjoyment from catching , and 80 percent of my guides are newbies , or people not doing to well that want pointers on how to do better ...

I find it far easier to catch a bass than a mac ..... :wacko: caught about 6 mac last year , trying to catch them for my old next door neighbours tea ..

Found it terrible to keep telling him i couldnt catch him many last year ... ill keep trying for him this year though , lol ...

Cheers for the reply, and good luck on your macky quest.. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.