Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well done Nath, the more the merrier!
Steve

·
Premium Member
9,556 Posts
I like it................ good positive action instead of just forum chatter...... Well done Steve and Nath !!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Emailed, Swansea, Gower, Llanelli, Neath, Aberavon MP's hopefully at least one will attend!
I've got a friend who's been working with the Neath MP and she's actually had a meeting with the Mmo regarding the Devon trawlers - Olivia bell and cerulean, so there not all bad. She's actually campaigning for the reduction in bass landings. Ille keep everyone posted on the outcome

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I've got a friend who's been working with the Neath MP and she's actually had a meeting with the Mmo regarding the Devon trawlers - Olivia bell and cerulean, so there not all bad. She's actually campaigning for the reduction in bass landings. Ille keep everyone posted on the outcome
Brilliant! My pledge this year is to take an MP out fishing with me after being inspired by the work Matt Powell (west wales bass guide) did with his MP Simon Hart this year.

I can't expect them to fight for it (that well) if they haven't experienced it and understand the value.
I would say the more we can encourage them, the better. After all this has only come about as the North Cornwall MP is a keen angler and pulled his head out the sand and above the turret!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Don't mean to put a dampner on it C .Nemo , just these MPs seem only to listen to Scientists , Professors and various other Experts but not to fishermen . Most politicians are very intelligent people but got no common sense and can't see the bleeding obvious :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25,905 Posts
Well said mate, let's hope it gets the response it deserves.
Sent similar a few weeks ago to several WAG Yorpers ,
I wrote about the long & short term massive financial loss angle over the whole Welsh tourist industry & how it will affect theh WAG coffers

All those who bothered to reply totally ignored what I'd said & asked about , they seem hell bent on going to hell in a hand cart as it's currently fashionable

Basically I got a chewed nail on the middle finger reply , saying that it has all been agreed in the EU and what a wonderful thing it is as well . Seems their faith in things EU is far greater than my common sense .

I still have the last reply & would scan it for an attachment but have not yet found an Ubuntu open source driver for my ancient 7 yr old HP Scanjet G2410 scanner .
( if anyone has the open source driver code for it ... Yes please )

·
Registered
902 Posts
Don't mean to put a dampner on it C .Nemo , just these MPs seem only to listen to Scientists , Professors and various other Experts but not to fishermen . Most politicians are very intelligent people but got no common sense and can't see the bleeding obvious :rolleyes:
Yes that's very true and it seems they only go with what will guarantee that they keep there seats, but FairPlay to the Neath mp shed actually taken onboard quite a challenge. She even got the Mmo to admit that the Devon trawlers had breached landing rules but wouldn't give anymore info out at this time. I've spoken to the Mmo office and it's like pulling teeth, so we at least she's making some progress

·
Registered
309 Posts
Cheers Nemo , let's hope she brings us good news , at least she's having a go . Keep us posted if you hear anything. Tight lines old bean :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 2 page letter response from my local MP regarding the original request on here to plead for MP support to overturn the legislation on commercial gill netting of inshore bass stocks. The outcome is that nothing is likely to change, they are hiding behind the EU legislation that has been passed, and recreational angling is way down the priority list when it comes to the business of catching fish.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I too have written to my MP about this, but not yet received a reply. However things may not be quite as depressing as some people think. For those of you who have not read this months Sea Angler, it appears that the EC Common Fisheries Policy includes Article 17 which requires member states to use transparent and objective criteria including those of an environmental, social and economic nature. ie It requires the allocation of catch limits or quotas to those fisheries that have the greatest societal value (jobs and revenue) for the least environmental damage.

Sea Angling supports more jobs across a broader economic spectrum than seine netting and puts far more money into local economies. We could also argue that it produces less environmental damage. Thus the basis for this regulation as it currently stands is fundamentally flawed and does not comply with the CFP Article 17. This is the basis for the regulation and quotas to be challenged.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts