World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. This summer while there's been no fishies about I've been teaching myself how to cast off the ground and pendulum. I've got a century carbon metal and an abu sports mag. I'm hitting about 120 at the moment with just a 5oz lead on (rubbish I know but lots better than I was getting with an overhead cast). Sea angler this month has said that a level wind will halve the distance you can cast .. is this true ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
No, it will not halve your distance. Probably more like 10-15%. Although the one advantage it does have is that at least your line is reasonably flat on the spool as uneven line lay can cause problems during casting.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Can't remember who it was that said this but it went something like - If you want to fish further than 100 yards, buy a boat.

If you can cast 120 yards, catch fish and are happy with your kit why worry about distance? It's all about fishing, not who can cast further than who or that open cage reels are better than level winds.

Oh - And casting huge distances is one thing. Doing it without spraying the hookbait all over the place - that is where the skill is. And 120 yards is not rubbish. Sounds like you're doing ok. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks mate .. thats quite reassuring ! I have been getting a bit obsessed with getting more distance lately.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Gale-Force-Rob said:
Can't remember who it was that said this but it went something like - If you want to fish further than 100 yards, buy a boat.

If you can cast 120 yards, catch fish and are happy with your kit why worry about distance? It's all about fishing, not who can cast further than who or that open cage reels are better than level winds.

Oh - And casting huge distances is one thing. Doing it without spraying the hookbait all over the place - that is where the skill is. And 120 yards is not rubbish. Sounds like you're doing ok. :)

It was Blueskip and I for one agree with him. Also your second point is very valid - I would rather have a baited hook 80 yards out than a bare one 150 yards ;)

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Yes, I remember now. It was the wise words of Blueskip. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

Bowen - Glad I could help. :)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
The level wind will take off quite a few yards,plus you have less control of the cast,as you can`t wrap your thumb round the spool.The replies you`ve had are indicative of anglers who can`t cast very far,but find it easier to make excuses for it,rather than put the effort into learning to cast properly.You`re obviously trying to better your distance,and 120yds is`nt bad,but you won`t get anywhere near that with a baited rig,so you need to practice more.
Distance does`nt guarantee success in the fishing stakes,but it increases your chances a hell of a lot.If the fish are feeding just the other side of a sandbar 100yds out,you will never catch them if you can`t reach them.Learning to cast properly will give you extra distance,plus a controled,smooth casting style,which will put your bait in perfect condition,in the required place.Anglers who can`t cast,have horrible jerky actions,and that`s what knackers their bait up.
There`s plenty of marks to fish where distance is`nt needed,but when it is,it`s nice to know you`ve got the skill to do it ;)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
i will agree with you to a point yozzer about the casting, practice does make perfect. i would say though that your comments on the the guys that cant cast were out of order . nobody likes a big head and its better to make friends here and to help each other than to slag people off .if you stick by your comments you may as well change the y in your name to a t. :)

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Yozzer said:
The replies you`ve had are indicative of anglers who can`t cast very far,but find it easier to make excuses for it,rather than put the effort into learning to cast properly.
The replies above are indicative of anglers who have confidence in their ability, have nothing to prove, and have a willingness and the ability to impart help and knowledge in a way that doesn't demoralise or offend but motivate and inspire.

Try it sometime. ;)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
m8 you have never seen me cast how can you comment on it

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Bit harsh marcus but I agree with your comments. Yozzer people are only trying to help and your statements are not appreciated. I can put a baited trace about a hundred meters on a good day and I find this perfectly adequate. If the fish are further out then I'll try somewhere else or cadge a lift in a boat (Blueskip actually said 200 yds to be precise). I fish mainly for bass and every one I have caught his year has been well within this distance - some as close as 20 yards. I wonder how many of the people I see on the beach with their fancy set-ups and their hours of casting practise in a field (time better spent actually getting a hook wet) realise that all their efforts are totally worthless as they are casting over the fish while attempting to reach some mythical sandbar?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Marcus,you had not posted on the subject prior to my post,so i am not commenting on your casting ability.....some people seem very touchy.....a bit of constructive critisism is all it is....take it or leave it,but ffs chill out ;)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
ok m8 no harm ment ;)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
:D This gets better......i did say there are marks where distance is`nt needed,such as bass marks...i fish for them myself and rarely cast more than 40yds......i also fish cod beaches in autumn/winter where distance is often the key to success...that`s when the "totally worthless" casting practice pays off ;)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Good for you but I still think that your choice of words is intemperate and maybe if you think you are offering 'constructive citicism' you should maybe take some time out practising moderation in your language as well as wasting time in a field.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I do apologise for winding people up....i`ll only post in agreement with people in future,that`ll be constructive eh :eek:

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Jesus......and you were on about toys and prams - go back and read my posts properly - I wasn't questioning your right to have an opinion, even if it differs from mine. I was objecting to the way you were expressing it is all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts