World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Abu 6500c.I got this for my 15th biurthday, some 30 years ago.and it still works like a dream.However, on my last outing someone told me that removing the level wind will improve the distance on my cast considerably. Is this true and if so how easy is it to remove the level-wind?

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Lawgill, removing the levelwind might gain you 5-10yds on your cast, removing the brake blocks, servicing the bearings (with carbon not grease), using light oil instead of grease, & rubbing Mucilin on your line, changing to ceramic eyes on your rod will gain you at least 30yds! but do you need to?
If you have had this 6500C for 30 years the same as me, you will be casting without using the brake blocks, & getting all the distance you want, plus you dont have to spread the line across the spool on the retrieve, you will achieve nothing.
If you want to go tournament casting & need the extra 5-10yds, then to remove the levelwind, remove the left hand plate (the opposite side to the handle) by unscrewing the 3 small screws, this will reveal the levelwind mechanism. There is a flat plate with 2 recesses that holds the mechanism in place, remove that & the entire levelwind sytem comes off in 1 piece.
If you want to be really ruthless remove the nylon levelwind drivewheel, this will cut down on any imagined drag!
Remember how it came off, & put it safe, you will want to put it back on very shortly!
blueskip

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Had exactly that problem, though I bought my ABU 25 years ago. I asked about removing the levelwind and was told the same as Blueskip said. I was also asked why I wanted to ruin a good reel, i.e. it was built with a levelwind for a purpose! It still does for the short casting I need in the Swellies. So I bought a new beachcaster and another CT reel for the 'new' beaches that I'm fishing in my retirement where I need to cast further. There are some amazingly cheap Abu copies on the market! They won't last anywhere near as long but, in my case anyway, I doubt I'll live long enough to need to replace it!

You've got a great reel for shorter casting (John Holden carried out tests which suggested that you only lost 20yds at the most!) and for light boat fishing. I just love using my levelwind! Horses for courses!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts