World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tried fishing on sunday ( bit delayed post )
anyway caught 0 ..im getting used too this :) number 6 this year lol.

but main reason for posting, it was a very calm day and the forth was very clear,
i seen loads off small sandeels, approx 2 or 3 inches long.

ive no idea and trying too learn, but are the sandeels there all the time or do they come too inshore waters at specific times off the year and the other fish follow them and feed on them ?

if thats the case would i have been better trying for mackerel , or is it far too early ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wee seen loads of sandeels at the docks on saturday and i even stuck on some feathers to try for mackeral but didn't get any..... Mackeral dont usually appear round here until around late june,early july i think! Maybe its to do with the warm weather weve been gettin lately...We were going to try the power station on saturday but decided against it and went along the docks instead....Might all the other fish be feedin on the sand eels and thats why hardly any r being caught on other baits....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Fifer

You may have seen some posts about mackerel on the west coast - all be it only a few here and there. The mackerel seem to appear on the east coast a few months behind for some reason - not sure why.

I would hope that the sandeels will herald more fish coming in to feed but who knows - it's a funny old game, this fishing lark.

Blenny

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers guys,

aye , i was thinking that myself, but after seeing so many sandeels i thought possibly summit were after them .

im sure they will be here soon enough. and i will look forward too it :)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I caught two mackerel in december on bait this year cod fishing on the south west coast. I also had a single 'loner' last week in Luce Bay off the boat. A friend of mine who now lives on the Isle of White has said that he has being catching them all throughout the winter months, but not in any numbers. It is unlikely this fish sre flukes, but it does make you wonder why these fish were around. I think what is actually happening is that due to slightly warmer sea temperatures and predominantly warmer sout westserly winds the fish are staying later on into the year and begging to come inshore earlier. As with what has been said about the sandeel, last week pollack and coalies i gutted contained good amounts of 2-3inch small sandeels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts