World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the angling licence gets a mention by the writer of the St Marys and Saltburn fishing club report (again the bag limit issue goes un noticed). Do we really want to part with our hard earned cash to have the right to scratch for Rockiling because the commercials have seen off all the cod ?

THE 176-page White Paper Marine Bill launched by Environment Secretary David Miliband means sea anglers may have to pay for a licence to fish in the near future.

The bill has been branded unworkable by several bodies but, if it becomes law, shore anglers who have had the right to fish since the days of the Magna Carta will have to pay.
Quote from

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/...bjectid=18838476&siteid=109975-name_page.html

Wink

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I for one know it will NEVER become law N.E.V.E.R. & I'll put my money where me gob is :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I initially felt that, but I've been watching the development of the Marine Bill and The Sea Angling Strategy for some time now - Mostly its been kept hush hush and very few anglers even know of its existence. I have watched the inshore fisheries working group go through 5 drafts of the RSA Strategy and in each one the government has dug it's heals in further. In the early drafts of the RSA strategy it was rather loosely worded but in the 5th and final draft under sub heading 5 the government insisted the following be included.

5. RSA MANAGEMENT

• A sea angling licence will be considered. Costs and benefits will be clear and transparent, and additional revenue ring fenced and returned to the angling sector to provide benefits.

• As part of a balanced package of conservation measures to improve stock management, effort control (such as increased MLS, voluntary codes of conduct, bag limits, or carcass tags or voluntary log books) should be considered on a species by species basis. Objectives for such measures must be clearly defined.

5.1 There is relatively little management of sea angling activity in comparison with the commercial sector, with SFCs and the EA (who have powers to regulate shore activity) being the main bodies taking action. This may be a contributing factor to the broad appeal of the sport. However, with relatively high angling participation levels, and a possibility that this could increase in future, anglers have the potential to have an impact on some stocks. Everyone who catches fish has a responsibility to respond to changing stock levels to prevent the risk of over-exploitation.
5.2 Nevertheless, the potential benefits that might result from taking a more active approach to management can be identified, although it is noted that these will need to be communicated effectively to generate interest and participation from anglers. Such measures should be part of an overall package that aims to benefit anglers. The success and potential benefits of any measures will be dependent on anglers being actively involved in the development process. Responsibility would fall both to anglers, who should be willing to contribute constructively to the debate, and management bodies, who should ensure there is a clear, participative and extensive consultation process. Enforcement bodies should be actively involved in the development of proposals to ensure that any management measures can be enforced effectively .

5.3 All stakeholders in the Marine Environment have a responsibility to share the cost of science and fisheries management. A combined mechanism that would raise money for the benefit of sea anglers, provide an effective communication tool, gather information to better understand anglers’ needs and enable effective monitoring and enforcement would underpin other elements of the RSA Strategy. A sea angling licence (operating in a similar way to the freshwater angling licence) could meet these needs. The costs and benefits should must be transparent, justifiable and clearly understood. Additional revenue would need to be returned to the angling sector through a range of projects and programmes that would enhance the angling experience. It is understood that the sea angling community is against the principle of licensing until clear improvements in the sea angling experience are achieved.

5.4 Other management tools to manage the potential impact anglers have on stocks should be considered as part of an overall package of measures designed to manage and improve stocks These tools should be flexible, enable action to be taken quickly if necessary to protect vulnerable stocks as well as look to the longer term, and be driven by clear scientific evidence. The conservation benefits of taking any action would need to be balanced and proportionate to the potential impact anglers have on stocks. Possible management tools include voluntary codes of conduct, increased MLS, voluntary log books and ‘bag limits’ (where, on a case-by-case basis, the total number of fish of the identified species allowed to be taken from the fishery over a specified time period would be limited) and carcass tagging (where limited numbers of tags are issued to identify saleable fish).

5.5 The objectives should clearly state whether measures are being taken for conservation or enforcement purposes, or both. Action should be taken at the most appropriate level for any species, but should be primarily driven by Sea Fisheries Committees and the EA so that measures can be designed to take account of particular local circumstances.

5.6 Defra should take the opportunity of the Marine Bill to provide the necessary powers to introduce any management measures. The consultation processes involved in the Bill would enable anglers to express their views on these proposals. Translating any powers into practical legislation will take some years and involve further consultation on specific details. This period of time would enable other measures in the Strategy to be progressed and demonstrate improvements in the angling experience.

5.7 SFCs already have powers that would enable the introduction of some local management measures, such as bag limits and fixed engine by-laws.. Where measures are justified, pilot schemes could be considered by SFCs, working with local anglers and scientists to introduce, test and monitor the impact of the measures. SFCs should work together to ensure measures cover a full range of situations and locations. This would build evidence to inform decisions about using such measures on a wider and national basis.

And that's not the half of it.

Bait collecting restrictions (our lovely governemnet recently spent a fortune of our taxes so on a peace of research undertaken by Hull university on bait collection. The research even highlighted that dog walkers damage the marine environment and may need controlling), Bag limits, Areas closed to anglers.

Its all in there.

Some members of the Inshore Fisheries Working Group which includes anglers have already said it's not a matter of If, Its now a matter of when.

·
Registered
542 Posts
they wont be getting anything off me either theres not enough getting caught to warrant paying a licence fee saying that i wouldnt mind paying if they introduce a exclusion zone right round the coast and managebthe fish stocks properly if they dont i will simply pack up i wonder if the will compensate us for decommissioning are rods

·
Registered
453 Posts
how are they going to police it cost them more putting somebody on nite shift 24 hr policing of beaches what about boat fishing are they going to have divers surfacing where you fish and ask to check you licence if you haven't got it will you be handcuffed to the officer and swim back to shore 24 hr bailiffs on our shore line and up the rivers i think not cost more to do than the licence I FOR 1 WILL NOT BE PAYING A PENNY WHAT NEXT FISHING METERS ON THE BEACH £1.00 PER HOUR WITH TRAFFIC SORRY FISH WARDEN PATROLLING OUT OF TIME £30.00 FISHING FINE TICKET PRODUCED might as well go the whole hogg tax and test on rods and reels if not used must be sorn set up a tackle testing station mot once a year m.o.t.+++ministry of tackle lol

·
Banned
927 Posts
I can just imagine the scene:
An Environment Agency Officer coming up to the lads on the small wall on sheilds pier at 3 in the morning asking "have you got a sea fishing licence"?

I would advise the Environment Agency to only advertise for enforcement officer applicants that are strong swimmers or used to be rectally abused by a Century Kompressor Reducer.

On a personal note, I would have no objection to paying a nominal licence fee if that money went to improving structures and places to fish from (you cant stock something as big as the North Sea).
I pay for a licence to fish for trout (£24.50 a year) and (£30 a day for 4 fish) at my local fishery, but at least I know the fish are there and it,s my fault if I dont catch.

Ron

·
Banned
56 Posts
how are they going to police it

easy as they do for fresh water spot checks

all they need do is walk along a pier etc and they have you

me personally if it came in I would pay for it aslong as it wasnt something stupid

and we got something from it

how many of you drive ???

how many of you pay road tax ???

as all things in life good things are not FREE

·
Registered
409 Posts
easy as they do for fresh water spot checks

all they need do is walk along a pier etc and they have you

me personally if it came in I would pay for it aslong as it wasnt something stupid

and we got something from it

how many of you drive ???

how many of you pay road tax ???

as all things in life good things are not FREE
I AGREE WITH YOU MATE :clap3: YOU GET NOWT FOR NOWT THESE DAYS :uhuh:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts