World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best place to purchase a couple of life jackets /flotation aids for two growing lads 9 and 11.

anywhere in scotland I can pick a couple of these up at reasonable cost.

any help most appreciated.

chris

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Chris - Lifejackets and floatation aids are totally different. Really important to get it right, epecially with kids.

Floatation aid - if zipped up, and the correct size - will keep the user upright in the water- but possibly face down?
Lifejacket - again right size, correctly fitteed and crotch strap used - will keep the user on their back and face up, even if unconscious.

Lifejackets have two ratings; a) user weight (up to 25,50,75,100,125kg etc) and b) inflation rate (in Newtons - 150,200,250 etc). As your two youngsters are not fully grown, it's important that you get them both to try lifejackets on before you buy them. Also a good idea to be wearing full winter clothing at the time too too see that they will fit properly? Weigh them in this gear too beforehand. If you weigh big boots, thermals, jumpers, jackets etc, you may find this takes them up into the next size group.

There is also a choice between auto and manual inflation. If your boat has a cabin, you may wish to think about manual inflation? If a lifejacket becomes inflated inside the cabin, it won't be easy getting out of the door on a small boat while wearing it. The other advantage of auto inflate however - is that even if the casualty is unconscious entering the water (eg a head injury) - the lifejacket will still inflate. It's your choice and there is no right or wrong here. You'll get equall arguments for using both types from different boat owners.

Always remember to fit the crotch straps on lifejackets. They can ride up on entering the water, and possibly come off if the user raises their hands to wave for help etc.

If in any doubt, give your local lifeboat station a ring for advice? I'd put money on it that they'd be only too happy to talk you through what's needed for all on board?

Hope this helps?

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
Best place to purchase a couple of life jackets /flotation aids for two growing lads 9 and 11.

anywhere in scotland I can pick a couple of these up at reasonable cost.

any help most appreciated.

chris
Worth trying Gael Force, based in Inverness but have a website which you can order on. You'll get it if you google Gael Force.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ticketyboo most helpful.

should have said at the moment I only take them shore fishing so no boats involved and all the advice given is brilliant.

thanks kenny going to have a look at the canoe and kayak centre first then try gael force as well

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is also a choice between auto and manual inflation. If your boat has a cabin, you may wish to think about manual inflation? If a lifejacket becomes inflated inside the cabin, it won't be easy getting out of the door on a small boat while wearing it.
Hope this helps?
On a lighter note, a friend of mine had a cabin cruiser which he used for trips and the occasional fishing outing. One day, he was out with his partner, who is quite a large lady. When on the boat, they always wore automatically inflatable lifejackets. One particular day, she had to use the loo (a posh boat). This was tiny, I had a problem getting in so I'm not sure how she managed, but she did. However, as she tried to get out, the toggle caught and the lifejacket inflated and, as my friend put it, "the lifejacket took up all the remaining space in the loo". There was no way she could get out of the door so they had to try to get the jacket off first. To do this, they had to deflate it but, being automatic, this was not easy. She would not let him take off the cylinder as she "did not want to be gassed", so after about half an hour of straining and shoving, they got if off and she escaped. She made him swear that he would tell nobody. But of course, he did.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Go for good self inflating "Crewsaver" type not cheap but good , Cosalt do ones called "Krusaver" which are more commercial than Ya Hoo yacht type and are easily cleaned , 150 size were coming in at about£55:00 + vat , but as they are commercial they may not do wee dood sizes , at the end of the day it's only money and they will last if you look after them and service them properly , we use them offshore and they get a dogs abuse .
Eddie
:fishing1:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all the guys and especially tickety boo who made the thread all the more enjoyable to read.I have got sorted out today from the canoe and kayak centre in perth. No pussy footing about with the internet a helpful company and I saw what I was purchasing.

cheers guys

chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts