World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...or more accurately checked out today in the Tamar by a fisheries patrol RIB. Since I am without sin I was happy to tell the three officers that:
1) Yes I was aware that the Tamar is a bass nursery area
2) I had caught six schoolies while spinning for mackerel (14 boated)
3) All six had been gently returned
4) They were welcome to board my boat and search it (they declined)
5) I haven't kept a bass for three years, and that was deep-hooked on a pennel while codding.
Very pleased to see that the regulations are being enforced, and hope they catch up with the illegal netters (everyone locally knows who they are).
I was also delighted to discover that some gilt head bream are still in the Tamar, though the two I landed on lug today were far too small and were returned (29 this year from the river but all but one under 2lb).
Happy days!

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
This is interesting - glad that they are checking. For all the conscientious anglers like you, @Plaicehunter, that they check, I hope they find the bad apples and bring them to book.

@Henry Gilbey just blogged about why there seem to be no shore-based officials checking shore anglers in the UK. Tagging him on this thread as he may be interested to hear - perhaps another angle to this is the question of boat vs shore anglers - which are checked more frequently? Suspect it's easier for officials to check boat anglers vs finding the shore anglers who fish marks way off the beaten track. That said, if they can check shore anglers in Ireland, why can't they do the same in the UK.....

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Someone found a net full of mullet in the Tamar this week , it’s on southwest seabaits face book , I don’t know how to post it on here as I don’t do face book , it’s a sad video.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you ever fish the Severn above the old bridge you are likely to be visited by the EA boys from Tewkesbury, especially around dusk in the elver season when they are hyper-active, as a rod licence is required to fish up there!

Reactions: Mullet Mick
1 - 5 of 5 Posts