World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have moved slightly away from the coast recently and my new locale has a canal and some small rivers so hoping to try my hand at spinning for trout and perch in the local waters. I was thinking something like a 2-10g or 3-12g would be about perfect for small mepps and soft plastics. Going to use the 7-30g for some of the pike in the canal too I reckon. Hoping not to break the bank but what should I be looking at for the likes of brownies and perch in canals and small to medium rivers for a start?

·
WSF Administrator
56,983 Posts
Have moved slightly away from the coast recently and my new locale has a canal and some small rivers so hoping to try my hand at spinning for trout and perch in the local waters. I was thinking something like a 2-10g or 3-12g would be about perfect for small mepps and soft plastics. Going to use the 7-30g for some of the pike in the canal too I reckon. Hoping not to break the bank but what should I be looking at for the likes of brownies and perch in canals and small to medium rivers for a start?
Both Major Craft and Graphiteleader do rods like that.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at the Majorcraft options, what are the thoughts on the Solpara or Trapara models?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Could also look at the new Majorcraft Ceana range. Not seen them myself yet but heard good things about them and they're reasonably priced. You've now got a couple of Majorcraft dealers in Ireland as well so maybe a bit of research as to where they are and a phone call to them for advice ?

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tackle shops opened back up here and my local guys persuaded me to try something substantially cheaper, a Ron Thompson Egi Master 3-15g. It's been class so far. Fittings aren't exactly refined and the rings leave a lot to be desired, but the blank seems great! Loads of backbone and I've spent the last two days pulling perch and jacks out of the canal on No. 3 Mepps Aglias. Hard to beat for fun in the sunshine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts