World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm out to get a new spin rod to complement my Shakespear Mustang which is a bit too stiff for me. Something light, mainly to use the 20 gr lighter plugs, spin lures etc. Perhaps a cork handle due to feel. Can anyone recommend from experience what could be the best and where from? -- Is it worth looking at any 'travel' options? Cheers / Izzy

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have you thought about a Jerk-Bait rod? I got a 6' Ron Thompson carbon jerk rod From North Bay Angling (01262) 401144 in Bridlington & it's ideal for light spinning/plugging. This is also a compliment to a shakespeare Mustang, great for heavy stuff, but not too hot on the tiddlers :)
You'll pay about 30 quid & they can handle just about anything.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
If you need some distance, you may have to go for a 9-10 foot rod.

I bought a Daiwa 10ft spinning rod with a casting weight of 10-40 grammes. This rod is great fun, even with 1 lb mackeral on the end, and when you get a Pollock of 3 lb or over, look out.

This rod has eva grips, ceramic lined rings and cost me 25 quid. Still very happy with it.

Be sure to get corrosion resistant rings/reel seat

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Have a look at the Ugly Stick Gold spinn. I have a few in different weights and use them for all my lure fishing and live baiting. Coupled with Penn SSB or Shimano fixed spool I think they take some beating.

I got my son one of thenew multi tip Mitchells for Chrimby, he hasn't used it yet but it looks the dogs for lures, ringed with the new oval braid rings. If it works out I may be swapping the Uglys for Micthells

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. Will visit my local shop now and see what they have in stock :) Best / Izzy

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay done it :) As I've got a little dinghy and do a fair amount of cycling on the shore, chose a 'travel' option after all. Got the Shimano Exage STG 4 piece, 10-11' convertible. 20-50 gm. Nice looking beast. Came in its bag and a real quality case. Haven't tried in yet tho. Cheers guys. Izzy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've also recently bought a Shimano Exage travel spinning rod which I'm planning to take on holiday to Tobago in April and to use for shore fishing for bass in the UK. Can anyone recommend a reel for salt water spinning? The only reels recommended as sea reels on the websites are multipliers and big fixed spool beachcasters. I was thinking about a Shimano Exage or Stradic - does anyone have experience of using these in salt water?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I use both and they corrode, I buy 3 or 4 for each season at a discount for quantity. The okuma reels are cheap and reasonable quality allthough again they suffer corrosion. The only one I have had that is small enough for livebaiting is an imported Penn SSB350, baitrunner style but expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Chris - sounds expensive though. Who gives a discount for quantity - or would I be better off buying the cheapest reel (within reason) and chucking them out after a short time?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I get together with a few mates and we put a bulk order in for all the coming year's tackle, reels,rods,line,hooks, etc, just after Christmas. The tackle shop welcomes the trade and the cash so we get a good deal, we also try to order in bulk, for example 1,000 swivels are much cheaper in one hit than buying them in little bags of 10.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts