World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
im looking to get a light shore rod for the summer but im not sure on what to get i was looking at a flattie fanatic but was told there floppy so any help would be grand all the best. carl

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I have a Century Tip Tornado Lite, a Shakepeare Odessa Bass and a Shakespeare Saltspin. All have there merits. For beachcasting light leads of 3-5oz the TT is the boyo, great for all round beachfishing, surf bass, flounder and deep spinning for pollock. The Odessa is best lobbing baits into the surf for flatties and bass, but will do heavy spinning, floatfishing and cast larger plugs. The Salt spin is a nice 3 piece which fits in the boot. Does nealry all the oddessa does but is just a bit lighter at 1-3oz so you can get away with fishing plugs and smaller spinners. It all boils down to what you want the rod for and how much you are willing to spend. My old man has the A.F.A.W.Estuary rod which is very nice and also the Mustad Viking 116 Lite. Have a look and play with them all and see what you prefer. First choice would be the TT but they are about £225, for £35 th Salt Spin is ideal. The choice is your mate, but there are a lot of good light rods on the market for the sort of fishing you want to do.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Greys' BZE - the dogs danglies especially for round the £100 mark - if you weren't so far away you could try mine;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your help chaps im gonna go to the tackle shop tomrrow and have a look at all those mentioned. thanks for the offer paid4 top man cheers. carl

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a Century Tip Tornado Lite, a Shakepeare Odessa Bass and a Shakespeare Saltspin. All have there merits. For beachcasting light leads of 3-5oz the TT is the boyo, great for all round beachfishing, surf bass, flounder and deep spinning for pollock. The Odessa is best lobbing baits into the surf for flatties and bass, but will do heavy spinning, floatfishing and cast larger plugs. The Salt spin is a nice 3 piece which fits in the boot. Does nealry all the oddessa does but is just a bit lighter at 1-3oz so you can get away with fishing plugs and smaller spinners. It all boils down to what you want the rod for and how much you are willing to spend. My old man has the A.F.A.W.Estuary rod which is very nice and also the Mustad Viking 116 Lite. Have a look and play with them all and see what you prefer. First choice would be the TT but they are about £225, for £35 th Salt Spin is ideal. The choice is your mate, but there are a lot of good light rods on the market for the sort of fishing you want to do.
yep gotta agree the tt lite is somebit of kit,i would consider that the best light beach ,long distance rod i have ever used,got more backbone than a lot of other rods,you can find em for around 180.00

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have a Mustad Lite 116 too and for the money it's good. It's rung with Fuji's and casts up to 4oz & bait with ease and at under £60 cheap.

Saying that if I had not bought four rods all under £60 I could have bought a spanky £200 rod but then wouldn't have the selection I do. I do need a decent lead chucka though!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Who told you a Flatty fanatic is floppy? Those who have visited the NEC in the last 5 years will have seen me belting 3oz & 100 gram leads way past the fountain in the lake with one of these rods. The factory version used to be fitted with the older BNHG fujis, later ones (or if you asked for them) had Seymo S200 rings, much lighter, fitted. Mine has a set of Zircon Carbide fitted, so I can use superbraid when I need to.

philtherod

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
A good carp rod about 1.5 to 2lb test curve - YOU CANT GO WRONG

thought that would be a bit too soft unless just flicking out close in shallows.a 2.5lb tc would allow to cast up to 3oz,but many are through action.for about £60 you can get the chub outcast.good range for casting and i think a lifetime guarentee:unsure: :)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Carp rods aren't much use if you want to hold bottom in windy conditions or a reasonably fast tide.

Philtherod - I have just started to use braid, is it important to have the correct rings or can I stick with what I have on my rods (cheap rings except on Mustad Lite 116 which has fuji BNOC's)?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I use a couple of Mustad 116 lite rods for flounder / bass and think they are ideal, The first I bought had coasters, the second, a couple of months later had screw fitting.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I use a Mustad 116 lite for scratching and like it a lot, it's the coastered one, again it's a lot of rod for the cash.

·
Registered
206 Posts
hi all
im looking to get a light shore rod for the summer but im not sure on what to get i was looking at a flattie fanatic but was told there floppy so any help would be grand all the best. carl

Well he said he wanted a light shore rod for the summer. As I say imo a Carp rod is just that.

I can cast 80 - 100yds with a baited rig and 2oz of lead. Tested in a field.

Yes if you have a stiff breeze and for some reason you are desperate to hold bottom then you will need a more robust rod.

You also get unriveled bite detection and the rod can be used for a whole range of applications. Also why cast a long way! that depends on the mark, I have had some of my best fish close in.

If he is keen to fish for SPORT then light gear is the way forward.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Well he said he wanted a light shore rod for the summer. As I say imo a Carp rod is just that.

I can cast 80 - 100yds with a baited rig and 2oz of lead. Tested in a field.

Yes if you have a stiff breeze and for some reason you are desperate to hold bottom then you will need a more robust rod.

You also get unriveled bite detection and the rod can be used for a whole range of applications. Also why cast a long way! that depends on the mark, I have had some of my best fish close in.

If he is keen to fish for SPORT then light gear is the way forward.

here here:clap3:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Carp rods aren't much use if you want to hold bottom in windy conditions or a reasonably fast tide.

Philtherod - I have just started to use braid, is it important to have the correct rings or can I stick with what I have on my rods (cheap rings except on Mustad Lite 116 which has fuji BNOC's)?

some of the older rings used to groove (eventually) either because of the "rough surface" of some braids or because the braided finish picked up sand (obviously that won't happen with the fused or polymer reinforced types like Herculine, Fireline, PowerPro, Spiderwire(fused), TuffLine XP and so on)

but it is a bit unusual for that to happen now, even with cheap Fuji-copies that are not the best alumina ("hardloy") around.

More to the point, watch out for cracked or chipped rings (mentioned quite often on this site) - braid can "find" and be cut or ruined by hairline cracks that barely shave a fine whisker off mono.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts