World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a quick run out to the top end of the Blackwater yesterday to try and get a late sizable bass out while we're actually allowed to. I just went with a 7ft rod, spinning reel, some 2 oz weights, a few rigs and some really nice monster ragworms from JP tackle in Maldon.

As the main channel is very narrow and tide comes in and out across the mud such a long way you don't actually get very long to fish this part of the Blackwater. So I started off at a section where the water was closer to the shore as the tide came in but still relatively shallow, around a couple of feet or less I reckon. Anyway I think inadvertently hit a bass nursery there as every cast the rod rattled within a minute or so and I was bringing in one after another ½ lb schoolie basslets.

This was obviously not was I was after so I moved up towards the river mouth a bit where the water had now come in more and I could cast out into the edge of the main channel and have water in front of me close enough to return fish. This proved far more successful and I landed several nice bass around the 1½ to 2lb range which in the old days definitely would have come home with me and been introduced to my fish steamer, but unfortunately none of them were over 42cm so they all got returned. There were some bigger fish around though as I had a couple of very big bites that I didn't manage connect with and did hook into something very large for a few seconds that then broke my line.

As I was wandering around waiting for the tide to come in I had a look at the water that runs from the mouth of the Heybridge Canal out to the main channel. It looked quite promising, has anyone ever fished it as the tide comes in ? I considered giving it a go but it was right by the path where everyone goes to the cafe and pubs at the basin and I didn't really fancy being disturbed every 5 minutes by people asking me whether I'd caught anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Although I agree it looks a good spot, the sheer number of people around the area has always been enough to put me off. It's worth crossing the lock gates and walking back around towards Maldon, there's a point where the river turns towards Maldon which has some interesting gulley's in, take a look at low water?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Faz, that was actually where I moved to for the second part of my fishing & where the bigger fish came out from. At low tide before I started fishing I walked the bank from opposite Maldon down past Heybridge to check out how close in the main channel was to the bank and whether there were any gulleys I thought the fish might follow as the tide came in.
If it wasn’t for the hideous wind this weekend I’d be out there again on Saturday trying to get a fish out. I’m just hoping that the coming drop in temperature does not send the bass out of the river and back to deeper water.

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Thanks Faz, that was actually where I moved to for the second part of my fishing & where the bigger fish came out from. At low tide before I started fishing I walked the bank from opposite Maldon down past Heybridge to check out how close in the main channel was to the bank and whether there were any gulleys I thought the fish might follow as the tide came in.
If it wasn’t for the hideous wind this weekend I’d be out there again on Saturday trying to get a fish out. I’m just hoping that the coming drop in temperature does not send the bass out of the river and back to deeper water.
sorry mate bass will have scarpered
coz if the water temps drop
being so shallow they shot off real quick
one day there next gone
but saying that when it warms up so does the river real quick
should start fishing around the end of may next year
if u need info on the river just ask
ive fished it for years lure bass fishing
surface only mind lols
plus your going a bit to far up river

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rockhopper.
Now the cold has set in I will probably leave the river alone and stick to the coast until next spring.
I only tend to fish for bass if I can keep them, so if we're graciously allowed to take a fish out at some point next year then I'll definitely be back.
Thanks for the offer of info on the river, I will take you up on it especially ref the lure fishing. I love lure fishing but have never done that on the the Blackwater as I'd always assumed the water was a bit too cloudy for that.

·
13,191 Posts
Thanks Rockhopper.
Now the cold has set in I will probably leave the river alone and stick to the coast until next spring.
I only tend to fish for bass if I can keep them, so if we're graciously allowed to take a fish out at some point next year then I'll definitely be back.
Thanks for the offer of info on the river, I will take you up on it especially ref the lure fishing. I love lure fishing but have never done that on the the Blackwater as I'd always assumed the water was a bit too cloudy for that.
can be cloudy but were i fish 80per cent clear
its been a terrible year on the blackwater
only had 15
normaly im in the 200 range
they just went without warning
and no one knows why
mystery matev

·
13,191 Posts
Although I agree it looks a good spot, the sheer number of people around the area has always been enough to put me off. It's worth crossing the lock gates and walking back around towards Maldon, there's a point where the river turns towards Maldon which has some interesting gulley's in, take a look at low water?
oy get out of bed lols
im walking the flats at 3 in the morning
i never see anyone faz
been to places on the river were no ones been seen for 2 years
its that remote
summer time u can pick up rays caught in pools when the tides out
loads this year
but a bit spooky
all that flapping in the dark lols

1 - 8 of 8 Posts